Update on Dropped Games

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WhinyTortoise

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Sweet thanks, for the fix. Now I'm not trying to sound greedy, but do you think I could have the leave forgiven? Since it was ranked, no option to rejoin and it was completely out of my control.

Justlnfinite

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellissimoh View Post
There are currently no plans to extend the end of Season 2 due to this issue.
How awesome do the people over at Riot feel for handling this situation?

Cytus

09-20-2012

Can you please shed some light on the active game not found error that's been going around as well? LoL Drop is getting attention, but I still haven't heard Riot say anything about this error. I really don't want to get banned because I got a leave on a game that just suddenly disappeared for me and I couldn't reconnect to it.

Quaxxy

09-20-2012

I have to agree that letting the game drop is a better option than keeping it there by any means necessary at this point. Either find a way to stop it from happening, or let the games drop. I played a game earlier and the client bugged out and didn't show one player, so I had to reconnect. Took me at least 5 minutes to reconnect because of lag issues, and the enemy team took a small lead by that point. Then the game started lagging as if we were getting dropped and players connected/disconnected constantly with an inability to move. Then the game itself went down and nobody could reconnect for the duration of the game and we had to wait 25 minutes for one sides' minions to push in and finally win the game (nobody was connected that I know of, since I could never reconnect, but it took a long time for either side to win) so instead of just having no ELO loss, I lost ELO without being able to do anything to try and turn the game around. I'd rather have the game just gone than win or lose by being unable to do anything.

It is by no means "better" to have to wait 25 minutes to play a game and sit there frantically trying to reconnect, wondering if your account will get a leave, than to just be able to let it go and move on. It's EXTREMELY annoying to have a game get dropped, on the winning and losing sides, because we're playing to play. But, it's even MORE annoying to sit there helplessly watching your champion die because the lag prevents you from moving, or wait a half an hour to start a new game.

Akov

Network Engineer

09-20-2012
14 of 40 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGYJustin View Post
Bitter sweet personally. A lot of people were negatively impacted, and that is a terrible feeling. But it will be nice to sleep :]

Vamp13

09-20-2012

from what i gathered the DDoS was done using malformed packets, sent from a botnet type network (a lot of different computers)

why cant you make it so the server doesnt accept queries from anyone not in an active game at the moment?

also, if it was malformed packets why not have them have a hash or something similar that would enable the server to identify them as unauthentic packets and disregard them completely?

Ellatan

09-20-2012

I have a question about Riot server architecture. When a LoL Dropper disabled one game, was it just his game affected or multiple matches hosted on the same server? Basically was it possible that even though your game was dropped nobody on either team was responsible for the event, and it was just collateral damage from another game?

I was lol dropped twice over the last 2 weeks, once nobody on either team had any suspicious elo gains in the recent history.

Mugenman88

09-20-2012

Bell and Akov, I have to say, even though I have never been dropped, you guys are doing your best to solve this problem and I am thankful for it. Since loldrop got attention I was feeling less satisfied when my team was doing good because I always feared being dropped. Now I can play without worry!

Akov

Network Engineer

09-20-2012
15 of 40 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akov View Post
But it will be nice to sleep :]
I hope...

Bellissimoh

Producer

09-20-2012
16 of 40 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGYJustin View Post
Same page as Akov. Honestly it's not an awesome feeling at all. Players having their gaming experiences negatively impacted is something we take very seriously.