Update on Dropped Games

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheBadness

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellissimoh View Post
Hi Summoners,

My name is Bellissimoh and I’m a Producer at Riot Games. My primary responsibility is to maintain the health of our global live service and ensure the quality of everyone’s League of Legends experience is as high as possible.

As some of you have recently experienced, a handful of players have been attacking our live service to kill games that are in-progress. They’re doing this through a form of Distributed Denial of Service attack (DDoS) and not a hack.

As of yesterday’s hotfix, we’ve put some changes in place that prevent games from dying. Players in a targeted game will still experience lag and possibly be disconnected, but the client should now be able to reconnect to the game automatically and resume where it left off. To spell this out a little, if your client suddenly lags and presents you with a “Connecting screen” you should allow it to try its magic and reconnect you to the game. When it is successful this will allow you to rejoin the battle much quicker without reloading the client.

We have taken steps to identify these attackers and remove them from our service permanently. Additionally we are pursuing legal avenues and working with the proper authorities.

We’re doing everything we can to implement short- and long-term solutions to fight these types of activities. When someone’s intentionally ruining the experience of other players, we take it very seriously.

I’ll be watching this thread for the next hour or so to answer questions along with Akov, one of Riot's Network Engineers.

At the end of the day, our goal is to maintain a reliable and fair League of Legends service for everyone.

i hope those darn kids get a good spanking.

Akov

Network Engineer

09-20-2012
4 of 40 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebroni View Post
What about custom games? People often want to just try something out and just leave.
I guess I used the wrong term. When every one "disconnects" is different then every one "leaving". Leaving games is unaffected by these changes.

Kaio F

09-20-2012

thanks you so mutch its gone!

Also, how will this affect custom games? will the game attempt to reconnect aswell if everyone left the custom game? As someone who play a lot of custom games with friends it happens sometimes that we need to re-do the match for some reason (dc, swap bug, etc), will we still be able to disconnect ourselves from there?

edit: SHEN'D thanks tho!!!!!!!!!1

Sephraus

09-20-2012

Oh. So I did get affected by "LoLDrop" today. Everyone in my game kept d/cing but the game never dropped. Thank you for addressing this problem, Riot! <3

Felaedor

09-20-2012

*sigh*

I hate that people are so computer illiterate. The vulnerability is still there and is still very much exploitable especially as a tactic to delay, as long as you haven't lost an inhibitor (because then DC'ing everyone WILL hurt you).

LoLDrop is not gone, and you will continue to see it.

It just won't act like the game doesn't exist anymore.

Honestly, this might end up being MORE frustrating. Less easy to use, but more powerful, as it can be used to actually influence the outcome of a game instead of act like it doesn't exist.

Bellissimoh

Producer

09-20-2012
5 of 40 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebroni View Post
What about custom games? People often want to just try something out and just leave.
This system should not affect players that are just playing practice games or trying out new things in solo custom games.

Edit: Akov beat me to the punch.

get dat birdman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

I'm not exactly sure when you put in the hotfix for this, but I had a question regarding it. I did have a game yesterday where everyone in the game got disconnected right near the end (my team was actually beating on the 2nd Nexus turret), then everyone reconnected after said Nexus turret was destroyed. Once we moved on to the Nexus itself (about 15 seconds after this), everyone disconnects again. We ended up winning, but there was no reconnection after the second disconnect (I assume this is due to hitting the Victory screen). Is there a way for the game to just push you to the stats after the match is over if you are in the process of reconnecting while the Victory/Defeat occurs?

DontEatPaper

09-20-2012

What other paths are you taking to ensure that this kind of thing doesnt happen again and that the lag stops too?

Crappey

09-20-2012

Why did you guys take so long to respond on the issue?

Ashfordjim

09-20-2012

I also agree this has the potential to be much more frustrating than if the games disappeared. Imagine dealing with a LoLdropped game, being mad about it, and getting into a new game. Now imagine being loldropped at the enemy inhib and coming back dead, disconnecting, repeat that until the enemy pushes to your inhib. Ultimate trolling.