Queue dodge abuse warnings and suspensions issued

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 39
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yegg

Game Designer

Follow Yegg on Twitter

09-20-2012
1 of 17 Riot Posts

Greetings summoners!

About a week ago I posted about an upcoming analysis of our queue dodge data that would lead to us taking action against players who were identified as abusing the system. Today we have taken that step and issued penalties to the affected players. This includes two major groups:

1. Players whose conduct in the champion select lobby shows a strong pattern of causing other players to queue dodge. The behavior of these players can consistently and negatively affect the experience of their teammates.

2. Players who are themselves dodging excessively, which can greatly increase the time that it takes for a game to start.

We recognize that there are valid reasons that queue dodges happen, and as such have only targeted a very small group of players who were involved in an extreme number of dodges relative to their games played. Additionally, many players who were identified in our analysis were only issued a warning. If and when we perform another queue dodge audit, those players will likely receive a suspension if the analysis identifies them again.

Here's a small FAQ that I'll continue to flesh out as necessary:

How much data did you include in the analysis?

We looked at data that included millions of games from a period of over two months. This was more than enough to establish persistent patterns of behavior, especially with some players dodging more than once per completed game, or being involved in multiple dodges per completed game.

Why are you banning players for using a feature that defends them against trolls?

There's nothing wrong with queue dodging in moderation to avoid toxic experiences. All of the players who were targeted today were involved in a huge number of queue dodges relative to their games played, often as much as 100x the normal rates of queue dodging that we would expect for a typical player. Additionally, all players who received a suspension had a prior history of toxic behavior.

What about false positives?

Our analysis targeted less than 0.01% of the active players during this period, so only players who showed a very consistent pattern of being involved in queue dodges plus a history of toxic behavior were targeted with a suspension. If you believe you were unfairly banned, please submit a ticket to Player Support and we will review your case.

If you only targeted 0.01% of active players, will this even make a difference?

Many of those players were involved in hundreds of champion selects over this period, so a large percentage of the player population likely ran into them at some point and will run into them again in the future. Also, we recognize that these bans and warnings are a short term solution to the problem, and we have long term changes to the penalty in the works.

I have to dodge all the time because of trolls. Am I at risk for being banned?

No, you should be fine. The goal of this is not just to target the people who are dodging a lot themselves. We are also targeting the trolls who cause innocent people to be forced into dodging. When those players realize their behavior is unacceptable, everyone will be subjected to significantly fewer dodges.

Verandriel

09-20-2012

Will this extend to players who dodge in ARAMs? It's All Random All Mid, not All Random Except Me.

kya

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

inb4 im banned threads

PPPPPPPPPPPP270

09-20-2012

Great survey.
Hold on are you going to start banning people for dodging too many games and is there some kind of system that does.
The banning seems so vague right now.

HideGoSeek

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verandriel View Post
All Random Except Me.
My most hated game mode.

Arajobin

09-20-2012

I hope this affects ARAM too... its impossible to start an ARAM atm

JonTheBon

09-20-2012

inb4 GD is filled with "why am I banned?!" threads.

bigolfish

09-20-2012

Ho boy

Qeeick

09-20-2012

Thank you! As I type this I am in about my 8th attempt at a ranked game. . Will this include people that sit around and don't accept the game and then then rejoin the queue too?

Mediocre Top

09-20-2012

Thank goodness you did this, now Dyrus won't kill himself.

1234511 ... 39