Creative Design AMA - Syndra, the Dark Sovereign

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Sorry here, but I'm going to have to take you guys to task on some shoddy writing.

Syndra's title is "The Dark Sovereign." Okay, dark, I get. But sovereign? She's not queen of anything except her floating home. Why that title?

Syndra might be powerful, but she's not a summoner. For all her """""immense potential"""" (another boring cliche), why doesn't she learn the summoning magic or rune magic that appears to be top dog in Runeterra?

Why is Syndra's lore so similar to Xerath, or does that not matter to you guys?

Bowieneko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Is the monk who took care of Syndra related in any way to the monks who helped Udyr harness his own power?

If she had any chance to socialize, which champ do you think would be most likely to be her friend?

What would she think of Xerath, someone who also desires and has constantly growing powers? What would Xerath think of Syndra?

OneSixthIrish

09-20-2012

What are the orbs? Annie, Ahri, and Brand have fire, Lux uses light, Vladimir uses blood, Anivia uses ice, Ryze and Xerath have their lightning, or if it's not lightning, and that's how raw power takes physical form, what is up with the Syndra orbs?

Harrow

Associate Creative Designer

09-20-2012
2 of 8 Riot Posts

Woah, questions. I'm coffee'd up and ready to wade in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swippinfrafes View Post
First post? Excellent!

First question, what does Syndra think of other beings with amazing magical potential or prowess, such as Annie, Brand and Xerath? Would she see them as threats, allies, enemies, rivals, or cockroaches?

Second, what are the origins of Syndra's power? As in, does she have some elemental affinity such as with gravity, or is it moreso telekinesis?

Finally, is there any chance the old man could make a return, or is he stone cold dead?
I think Syndra would be incredible interested in Annie. She'd wonder what this little talented kid could be capable of, given the right tutor and environment, which she'd be more than happy to provide.

I think she'd sympathize with Xerath and be intrigued by the power he's obtained, but I think Xerath would possibly be more interested in her. All of his power is arcane, researched and developed, while Syndra is more instinctive - maybe her approach could succeed at unbinding him where his has failed...

I don't think she'd see Brand in the same way, she'd just maybe be interested in trying to harness the flames, just to see if she could.

She's essentially attuned to the flows of magic - she can manifest force just by willing it, and she condenses spheres of raw magic from the air. She doesn't fully understand her talents, and up until now, she hasn't cared about their source. If she wants to realize her full potential, I imagine she'll have to understand herself.

The old man is really, really, really dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rion Rakkard View Post
If I recall correctly, Jax is also one of the most powerful champions. Do you think someone like him could take her under his wing and actually have the power to contain/teach her how to control her power instead of blindly use it?

Also, she reminds me of Ichigo Kurosaki, all that power welled up inside of her, but just like in Bleach, he kinda just let all that power go before learning to harness it. If she would stop to let it build up, who knows how powerful she could be?
That's an interesting idea - Jax would have the right temperament, he always seemed like a patient guy to me. But that would need to be a two-way relationship, and I severely doubt that Syndra would submit to counselling from some completely unmagical dude with a lamppost.

Syndra's magic isn't really building up inside of her, she's just slowly developing her mastery of forces that already exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azezo2000 View Post
Is Syndra like an anomaly or is she like from a line of mages?

Also whats her motivation to join the league?
Syndra's parents were not magical, but she doesn't know too much of her family history. I can imagine her researching it if she ever becomes interested in learning more about the origins of her power.

We haven't told the story of her joining the league yet, but I can think of a few ideas. Given that her primary joy in life is her magic, she could see the league as a playground, a place where she can truly push her limits and see what she can do. That might be worth submitting herself to the Summoners, especially if she can work out a deal with them - it's in the League's interest to have someone like her on the Fields of Justice, after all. Besides, she probably believes that if she needs to cast off their control, she could just do it.

Alternatively, maybe she'd want to undermine Ionia's authority by publicly expressing her power and philosophy in an attempt to sway others to her beliefs. If there are other talented would-be mages in Ionia that feel frustrated or repressed, seeing Syndra out there being Syndra could encourage them to rebel.

I've seen a popular theory that the League Summoners could imprison her, and while this could be an interesting story, it doesn't mesh with the way she presents herself in game. Still, fun fiction fodder.

Harrow

Associate Creative Designer

09-20-2012
3 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clakkotypis View Post
who likes balls more, syndra or orianna?
I'll bite.

Orianna is as attached to her one ball as a clockwork girl can be. She displays affection for it - but is that a real emotion?

Syndra's MAGICAL SPHERES are mere expressions of her power, she feels no attachment to them - hence why she allows them to dissipate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amathris View Post
2) It would be nice if her relationship with the leaders of Ionia was explained further. They aren't involved in the events of her bio at all, but suddenly at the very end, they're weak, foolish, and she wants to destroy them? Why? The elders of her village were the ones who sent her to the monastary, and the mage there is the one who limited her. The leaders of Ionia don't factor into that at all. Did they try to stop her after she killed the old mage and floated away in her sky fortress? Or is she just so petty and petulant that she holds all of Ionia responsible for how a few people treated her?
She reacted really badly to someone trying to steal away the one thing that gives her joy in life. Since every authority figure she's ever known has only tried to stop her from being...her, when she snaps after feeling threatened with magical lobotomy, she develops a hatred for authority in general. She sees the elders that sent her away as just a part of a greater Ionian philosophy that she now despises. In a way, her paranoia is justified - I think it's likely that Ionia will try and bring her back into balance.

One can see it as petulance, but she was never really allowed to become a well-adjusted adult in a normal environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
At last!

What does Syndra think of Yordles?
What does Karma think of Syndra?
Do her and Veigar get along well as people who embrace dark power?
Has the Kinkou Order been sent out to terminate Syndra yet? If not, why?
Where was Syndra during the Ionian War?
Does she seek to crush nations other than Ionia?
Yordles are fun to throw. They make funny noises.

Karma sees her as a huge unbalancing force that needs to be brought back into line. I think Karma abhors violence, but she might need to make the terrible choice to advocate a military response to Syndra in the name of peace.

Syndra probably thinks Veigar is kind of laughable, to be honest. If she could get past the cutesy yordle exterior, she'd maybe eventually see Veigar as a worthy mage...but look at that guy. So silly.

Ionia doesn't "send out" the Kinkou, they're self-governing. If they aren't seeking to take out Syndra, they must have their reasons.

Syndra was still growing up in seclusion during the Ionian War.

Right now, no - though her hatred of Ionian authority might one day expand to other nations, if she thinks they would seek to restrain her or others like her.

Jeorg

09-20-2012

It's hard to tell because of her helmet, but has she ascended/been changed by magic in the same way that Janna and Morgana have? Would she be curious about the aforementioned champions, and speaking of her helmet, does it symbolize anything as other Ionians such as Karma and Irelia wear their head pieces in a different style.

As Karma is an important figure in Ionia, has she clashed with Syndra?

Campeen

09-20-2012

I was lying in bed thinking of Syndra and Justicar Syndra and how they'd relate lorewise, and was wondering if you could shine light on my musings.

I saw Syndra as what she's described, the sort of great power, little knowledge of what she can do.

Then Justicar Syndra as kind of what she'd be if her master survived but he had explained to her the need to keep her power in check (and she agreed). So she learned how to harness magic and force more controlled.

Then I thought of what if her master survived, but wanted her to take advantage of her power and didn't shackle it. Rather it'd be a kind of Avatar thing where masters from various magical arts would teach her.

So I was thinking how powerful she would become if everyone embraced it. Could she become Avatar-esque, where she could control more than force, but natural elements, plants, fire, earth, water, etc? Would she be the "Invoker" of League of Legends?

Eph289

09-20-2012

How come Creative didn't push for Syndra to be able to throw Yordles, then, Harrow?

I'd be fine with just throwing Teemo, tbh. Roit pls?

swan2swan

09-20-2012

So, Syndra is an abnormally powerful mage...and there are a great many other people in Runeterra who are achieving incredible levels of power (Warwick, Annie, Irelia); is this a constant feature of the world, or is the world undergoing some sort of hyperchange (perhaps due to the influence of the Void)?

I can see ancient powers calling on new champions to keep the balance (Leona, Diana, Ezreal), but is there some sort of universal crapstorm that's whirling throughout the world? And if so, is the League forming as a deterrent to it, or as the cause of it?

Rion Rakkard

09-20-2012

Thanks for clarification, sorry I misconstrued her having power building up. And I get how her and Jax may not have that well of a relationship since magic Isnt exactly his specialty. Thanks!

1234567 ... 10