Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StriderXplosive

Recruiter

09-20-2012

bump

dcDaIllusiveMan

09-20-2012

Just wondering...

Will the honor system come out before or after the season 2 world championships?

I love this game and the community, for the most part, try their best to keep positive.
But when people decide to troll, start raging, chat spamming, etc. positive reinforcement would help a lot.

Honestly, the sooner this system comes out, the better.
...but whatever. GJ Riot!

tisin

09-20-2012

seens good in the paper but I has my doubt of how will work when its implemented.

For me its some sort of a useless status and will not change nothing...

cAres

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-20-2012

Interesting idea. Let's see if it's going to work although with no prizes I don't see people caring about it

Haljegh

09-20-2012

Love the idea of positive reinforcement coming to the League. In most of my games there is at least one toxic player constantly raging at teammates and dragging the experience down; this happens even more when I'm on the losing side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
In almost all of the last few cases, you'd run out of Honor soon. We purposely made the exact amounts of Honor you have to give invisible so we could make adjustments to your Honor 'pool.'
What I don't like here is "run out of Honor" and "invisible" combined. If I'm out of Honor (to give) and would still like to commend another player, my existing pool should be divided equally between all players I have (recently) Honored. At the very least, the system should let you know that you're out of giftable Honor or show how much you have left to give.

I'm assuming that players will be allowed 7-14 giftable Honor per week, so where does this leave players that play a large amount of games?

Your intended effect may be greater if you offer some kind of token reward for players that are consistently gracious, but that also encourages players to try and cheat the system for such rewards.

All things considered, I am definitely excited to see a system built for positivity and can't wait to see the effects on our community.

Xenik

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
If the premade team targeted someone on their own team repeatedly, there is a system that catches this. If the premade team gets someone on the other team to join them on an external chat program and they communicate how through the game, this can be caught too.
Wait, does this mean people who invite teammates to an external chat program are discouraged and this will kick off the anti-abuse system? Because a few times I've been teamed with a premade who will give us Vent info or something, and I thought this was pretty cool and the sort of thing I would give Honor for - especially since I almost invariably end up joking around more and having a better time as a result

Sondalas

09-20-2012

Lyte, we all know that the community is very mean, raging about every mistake and throwing all kinds of insults to your face, and considering that, how hard will it be to get any Honor (even if you are as polite and honorable as you can get?).

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-20-2012
31 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art336 View Post
Isn't tweaking numbers to give one person infinite something and someone else none of the same thing kind of cheating yourself? Isn't that like saying "Since the system I implemented failed, I'll achieve my directive via direct meddling?"

Just curious Doc.
I don't see it this way. We've run numerous models and simulations about how we believe the system will be used, but human behavior is not 100% predictable--especially when you are trying something new like an Honor Initiative in an online game where there isn't too much research on these types of things yet.

For example, let's say our models suggest that the chance of 'good' behavior is currently 15% for any random League player and this will increase to 20% over 6 months. Let's also say our models suggest that when a League player is 'good,' there's a 30% chance someone else will actually Honor them. We can set values according to these models, but if it turns out that 'good' behavior is currently 10% for any random League player, we need to adjust the values accordingly.

Lyte

09-20-2012
32 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seringol View Post
Hey Lyte?

I believe all of this is good and great - but if you want to make a real difference in the community, you have to make it worthwhile for people.

Talk to marketing and art - For players that are seen as top tier ( within the honor system ) - Award them a skin, RP, a special summoner icon in the friends list. Make there be a wide spectrum: The worst of the worst get banned, the best get fun things, and those content to stay in the middle will play as they wish.

Reward people for being a positive player who makes a good impact on the community - For the highest level rewards - skins and RP - Make it either take 500 games or 6 months or some other 'high' metric that when earned, shows this player is among the best the community has to offer for positive experiences.

And if they turn ugly? Have a rioter personally review the file, not automated. If the actions are deemed negative and worse than a 'bad day/game'.. Take the rewards away.

The sad truth is that giving a tangible reward is one of the few things that will motivate many people.
Just like the Tribunal, we want to avoid obvious extrinsic, tangible rewards like currency when we start our experiments. We want to identify players who are good just because that's their personality. We want to identify players who want to just make a difference in the community.

I know we need to 'reinforce' the good behaviors, but let's first make sure the systems are identifying the positive pillars of the community

Lyte

09-20-2012
33 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawless Dragon View Post
Is the assumption that premade friends who honor each other would be abusing the feature not an unfair one?

Will that bias not result in premade players having less opportunity to get honor than solo queue players? If so, how is that fair?

What if they are premade friends who are genuinely honorable often - why shouldn't they be able to receive the full amounts of honor if that is so?

An unfairness seems to be evident from quotations like this:

The implication seems to be that premade players will get some avenues to earn honor, whereas non-premade players will get more avenues. Is that not unfair discrimination that puts premade players at a disadvantage in terms of earning honor?
It's not that premade players are discriminated against and have less opportunity to earn Honor; premade players simply have to earn their Honor a different way. For example, most of the Honor for premade players will be coming from their opponents.