Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ImperialLaw

09-20-2012

OH!

so riots testing is comprehensive now?!?!?

where do you get your drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogoth1 View Post
If I remember reading correctly, its only in the PBE right now, any exploiuts like that would most likely be taken care of somewhat like the tribunal

IS1371d96745694779c6cca

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Summoners!

We here at Riot have been hard at work trying to improve player behavior in League of Legends. Historically, we’ve reacted to toxic players through systems like LeaverBuster and the Tribunal that are great at identifying and punishing the worst of worst. However, players will often challenge Team Player Behavior and say, “Dr. Lyte, how are you a doctor?? Don’t know you know that positive reinforcement can also improve player behavior?” We agree with you! We know that we have a great community, but we haven’t done a great job providing tools to empower this community to proactively be even more awesome.

Today, we’d like to introduce Honor, our positive feedback initiative. We’re well versed in research done on concepts in psychology such as positive reinforcement and how it can improve behaviors, and we’ve also found that some of the most meaningful, memorable moments in League come from the positive interactions players have with each other. Everyone’s had one of these days: You are struggling in a game and find yourself in a situation where a teammate could have easily trolled or flamed you, but instead goes out of his way to be a helpful, compassionate team-player. He says, “Hey, don’t worry about the first blood.” You may not friend this player or ever play with him again, but this small, kind gesture made a difference and is something you remembered.

Through Honor you’ll be able to give something lasting back to those players who went out of their way to make your game experience better. Keep an eye out for Honor with the next PBE update, and expect to hear more about it in an upcoming patch!
yay, another thread i have to go to NA to get an answer on if i got questions. 31 answers here currently and 0 answers on EU. n1, just go **** yourself really.

AoXoA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Honor to buy PVP items? Oh wait... lol

Judgesin

09-20-2012

Tis not due yet; I would be loath to pay him before
his day. What need I be so forward with him that
calls not on me? Well, ’tis no matter; honour pricks
me on. Yea, but how if honour priick me off when I
come on? how then? Can honour set to a leg? no: or
an arm? no: or take away the grief of a wound? no.
Honour hath no skill in surgery, then? no. What is
honour? a word. What is in that word honour? what
is that honour? air. A trim reckoning! Who hath it?
he that died o’ Wednesday. Doth he feel it? no.
Doth he hear it? no. ‘Tis insensible, then. Yea,
to the dead. But will it not live with the living?
no. Why? detraction will not suffer it. Therefore
I’ll none of it. Honour is a mere scutcheon: and so
ends my catechism.

Roccano

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialLaw View Post
it was guinsoo and pendragon, dumbass.

try a wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Legends

but that would mean something besides baseless bull****, and thats the riot player stock in trade.

dont fkn dare to misrepresent the facts, your corporate sycophancy is showing, follower.
Dont be so quick to assume I was stating facts, I said "IF I remember correctly" not "Hey, this is what Icefrog did and nothing you say can change that."

Your rage is apparently clouding your mind into thinking people are posting what you want them to.
Maybe try calming down so you stop acting like a fool?

Roccano

09-20-2012

Quote:
OH!

so riots testing is comprehensive now?!?!?

where do you get your drugs
Public Beta Environment.
Its basically an open testing area for people to test things out before they are put onto the live servers.
They are apparently testing the honor system there before making it go live.

Flawless Dragon

09-20-2012

Quote:
Actually, we have built-in a few measures to prevent trading and premade abuse.
Is the assumption that premade friends who honor each other would be abusing the feature not an unfair one?

Will that bias not result in premade players having less opportunity to get honor than solo queue players? If so, how is that fair?

What if they are premade friends who are genuinely honorable often - why shouldn't they be able to receive the full amounts of honor if that is so?

An unfairness seems to be evident from quotations like this:

Quote:
We've made sure that there are some avenues of progress in the Honor system even if you solely play with premade friends. For example, your opponents can still Honor you for being humble in victory.
The implication seems to be that premade players will get some avenues to earn honor, whereas non-premade players will get more avenues. Is that not unfair discrimination that puts premade players at a disadvantage in terms of earning honor?

SimplyAlive

09-20-2012

Quote:
ppl wil upvote their friends, it will only create an inbred community. people with the most active friend list will get the most honor.

nice exploit youve coded, riot.

i bet you like that your players are to frigging dumb to call you out.

i would truly appreciate the opportunity to physically attack your executive staff, you suck so fkn hard.
Hi there DotA fanboy, you might want to read Lyte's posts for once. All your false accusations and 'flaws' have been addressed already.

Phobos Selini

09-20-2012

Quote:
In almost all of the last few cases, you'd run out of Honor soon. We purposely made the exact amounts of Honor you have to give invisible so we could make adjustments to your Honor 'pool.'
I'm a little confused about this. Does this mean you give away your own honor points and just get some form of interest back? Or does it just mean that you have depending on your actual honor a certain pool of points you are allowed to give away in a certain time frame? Like it is(was) with the number of Tribunal cases you were allowed to do each day depending to the quality of your votes.

Phyrexia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Is this feature really necessary? The Tribunal I can understand, and judging by the posts I constantly see on the forums it's working beautifully, but this?

"Honor" just strikes me as a way to pander to people who feel they deserve a reward just for doing the normal expected thing. My parents taught me that if I do something like pick up trash that isn't mine and throw it away or give up a bus seat to someone who needs it, you're not doing anything worthy of special praise or merit, you're just being normal.

Do we really need a system that appears to exist just to reward people for not misbehaving? It just baffles my mind. Good behavior should always be it's own reward. Otherwise we end up with "I bought a ward, as a carry no less, make sure you give me honor cause I'm completely selfless and awesome and deserve it!" Or other such nonsense.

I dunno, maybe I'm just a little bit jaded but it's too easy to see the following play out in the long term:

Top/Mid/AD carry mains will get all the honor
Jungler mains will only get honor in the games they wreck face
Support mains will never see a point of honor outside the professional level of play.