Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frizalen

09-19-2012

Really like this idea, should be hilarious.

coffee addict

09-19-2012

What's the point?

We can buy things with honor?

ChaoticHeavens

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fongletto View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about this feature.. one thing I hate in life is fake niceness. People saying "hey man don't worry about it" even though they actually thinking "fk this noob" is even worse than them saying it.

This could potentially mean people will mess up and noone will ever call them out on it because they just want the honor rewards. So everyone will be congratulating everyone no matter how bad or selfishly they are playing.

Support doesn't get wards? Maxes starcall first? Clears minions, steals kills buffs? No worries! GG soraka you played really well. Unlucky their team was just better than ours?
People don't know when you report them. You can still report people that troll you without having to be a jerk. Also, there are many ways to say something nicely.

For example, "Soraka, you mind warding?" or "Please stop pushing my lane with Starcall. If you need a creep or two to buy <item>, then you can last hit them."

It's not mandatory to receive Honor every game. However, being a ******bag should not be tolerated either.

davin

Senior User Researcher

09-19-2012
13 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
This is one of the first systems that I wrote up a (very rough) design for upon joining the company many months ago. Lyte also had similar ideas (as did other designers + many of you) and he did a great job refining them and converting them into reality.

This is a feature that I truly believe will have a hugely positive effect on the community. Can't wait to start doling out some Honor!
Thirded! From basically the first day Lyte was here we've been psychology-nerding about the need for positive reinforcement mechanisms. We're very excited to get to put that side of the science into the game and let you all celebrate when people are rad.

Lethal Harmony

09-19-2012

Love the idea of being able to hand out positive reinforcement to people!

Sylver

09-19-2012

Sorry to be spamming but I really want a red to look at my account. I was given a week ban on the 13th this month for the same cases I had already been 3 day banned for on the 26th of august. I already submitted a support ticket but if you see this and can unban me now that would be great

TlME

09-19-2012

Why has riot given up on removing intentionally toxic players?

Enough focusing on abuse, crack down on the behaviors that CAUSE abuse/rage.

Broken Angels

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Summoners!

We here at Riot have been hard at work trying to improve player behavior in League of Legends. Historically, we’ve reacted to toxic players through systems like LeaverBuster and the Tribunal that are great at identifying and punishing the worst of worst. However, players will often challenge Team Player Behavior and say, “Dr. Lyte, how are you a doctor?? Don’t know you know that positive reinforcement can also improve player behavior?” We agree with you! We know that we have a great community, but we haven’t done a great job providing tools to empower this community to proactively be even more awesome.

Today, we’d like to introduce Honor, our positive feedback initiative. We’re well versed in research done on concepts in psychology such as positive reinforcement and how it can improve behaviors, and we’ve also found that some of the most meaningful, memorable moments in League come from the positive interactions players have with each other. Everyone’s had one of these days: You are struggling in a game and find yourself in a situation where a teammate could have easily trolled or flamed you, but instead goes out of his way to be a helpful, compassionate team-player. He says, “Hey, don’t worry about the first blood.” You may not friend this player or ever play with him again, but this small, kind gesture made a difference and is something you remembered.

Through Honor you’ll be able to give something lasting back to those players who went out of their way to make your game experience better. Keep an eye out for Honor with the next PBE update, and expect to hear more about it in an upcoming patch!
I may now want to be kinder to the trolls

TachibanaKun

09-19-2012

Excited for the influx of gentlemen in the League xD

RECLAIM LOL

Pikachu

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Thirded! From basically the first day Lyte was here we've been psychology-nerding about the need for positive reinforcement mechanisms. We're very excited to get to put that side of the science into the game and let you all celebrate when people are rad.
This system is going to get abused. Hope it turns out well.... though =/