Champions Similar to Veigar? (Burst Mages)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheWalkingCorpse

09-18-2012

When i first started LOL i had no clue what type of champ I wanted to play since i had no previous experience with DOTA. I quickly ruled out melee and found my self playing Ryze and other meges that were free in rotation. I picked up Corki for a bit and loved his style but it was Veigar that I eventually chose to be my main and I have loved every second playing as him.

But now i want to diverse my skills and i was wondering, which other champions have his style of play?

Dynamicity

09-18-2012

Le Blanc is always fun

Lord Puppy Fury

09-18-2012

Malz and Morgana are both going to sorta operate on the same principle of lay down CC then burst. I believe Morgana's free this week.

If you really want to diversify, though, you should also look into other roles.

wHiSkErTeMx73744

09-18-2012

As a Veigar player myself, I have found Annie to be somewhat similar to Veigar in terms of playstyle. A few significant differences:

Veigar has more damage; Annie has more defense
Veigar has an "unstable" stun (stuns only at perimeter and therefore is much harder to land, but covers a larger area); Annie's stun is more stable (simple AoE)
Veigar has more single target capability; Annie has more multi-target capability
Veigar has a very short-lived teamfight presence; Annie's presence is more sustained (faster cooldowns as well as a long-lasting Ult).

The Jade Fist

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamicity View Post
Le Blanc is always fun
Only if you're not the one that gets one shot by her.

Xtrordinari

09-19-2012

Annie definitely is a heavy burst champion. Brand as well will lay off a full combo and blow you sky high. Morgana and Malz have a very different style of play than Veigar.

Malz isn't extremely bursty aside from his ultimate which is a channeled stun. Morgana is mainly viable for her strong laning, hard stun, and most importantly laying down her ultimate in team fights but there's a big difference between her and Veigar.

I don't think any champion QUITE melts people like Veigar does but in my opinion you'd find the easiest transition with Brand or Annie.

ACGIFT

09-19-2012

As another Veigar main, I think he's pretty unique in his burst capability; as wHiSkErTeMx73744 mentioned, he has a VERY short presence in major fights; he drops in, makes his decisive combo, (or fails it) and gets out before he gives up a free kill to the enemy team. I mean, before and after he keeps providing pokes through his Q, but he clearly becomes secondary and leaves as soon as it's clear he's no longer needed.

LeBlanc is likely the closest match to Veigar in terms of a very quick-burst champion: most others have more sustainability. Once you broaden your definition a little, every AP Carry is akin to that sort of nature. AP carries are a sort of AP mid, one that typically doesn't do as great in the jungle or support. (like, say, how Diana and Teemo shine more there than mid) Annie's a classic, and Ryze is as well. One not mentioned so far is Brand; he's a strong burst combo mage that happens to specialize in tankburning; while he differs from Veigar that Veigar is an anti-mage/squishy, (be it support, AP carry... Or even AD carry) Brand is very effective against neutralizing the high-health enemies, including tanky DPSes.

wyyrd

09-19-2012

Well I agree wit my previous summoners statements. Leblanc is definately the closet match in my mind followed closely by annie and brand. The one campion I think I would like to add that I have not seen suggested is a full ap lux.

Drevarius

Social Systems Designer

09-19-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Mages with cool burst combos that CC and do a lot of burst damage to at least one target:

Leblanc
Malzahar
Zyra
Syndra
Annie
Lux
Morgana
Ahri
Annivia
Kennen
Victor
Xerath

Try them all! My favorite burster is Leblanc.

TheWalkingCorpse

09-21-2012

Thank you very much for the advice, im definitely going to diversify and so far it looks like brand seems to be the common champ so ill go with him for now