Champion variety (beware: monsters within!)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rangerike1363

09-18-2012

I'm excited for our new monster. I'm hoping he can jungle well so I can add him to my monster jungle collection (Skarner, Noct, etc) as jungling is probably my main role. I'm excited to see the "evolution" mechanic as well. I'm hoping he's a good multi-role champ like top and jungle so I can FP him in ranked (once I learn him) and be able to adapt him to the opposite situation of what the enemy team "thinks" I'm going with him as.

Voba

09-18-2012

MAybe fix the lag instead of constantly making champions?

TisTheWay

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Urgot's probably a combination of both, but we've done this in blind studies with new players who just started LoL with art only as well as gameplay-patterns over time. This is a couple examples in a ton of real studies we've conducted and pattern recognition - if it were just gameplay, that would show out. Corki's another example of a consistently powerful, interesting character who is easy to understand, but is always pretty low in popularity - especially for a ranged carry). People don't like him because he's a bit of a derp, not because his gameplay sucks. Davin, our user research dude who's way smarter than me can talk more in detail here.

We're not doing back-of-the-envelope analyses on these, we're doing real hardcore data management - scientific ****. I'm using that data to help understand what players want, and especially a silent majority who don't come interact with us regularly. Releasing this data wholesale is also exposes us to some nasty stuff and can be dangerous since data analysis requires some specific education and training to do well, and misdiagnosis would be common.

If there was any audience for really grotesque, I think we'd have a better understanding of that. I do have an experiment I'm going to run that will help us understand more, but I think everyone who likes gross is in this thread :P
I've always like urgot b/c of how he is a ad castor, the grotesque thing isn't my thing but is urgot a mistake b/c of the ad castor thing or b/c of the semi gore that is him?

YourWilIMyHands

09-18-2012

I've read just about every page on this thread and had 1 question, About how ahead are you on champions? it seems like you knew about Kha'zix along time ago? Is it safe to say you know what champ we'll get in january of next year? just really curious =D

Venova

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaisu View Post
Lulu isn't young at all (and I personally enjoy her voice xD), and there's always Tristana and especially Poppy o:
right but those are small tiny yordle sort of champions like annie, not taller more normal sized humans, i'm saying a young human girl type character, 12 or so, who through some event in her past ended up joining the league, maybe she's the daughter of Demacia or Piltover person and Nocturne took her best friend's soul, so she went into some dark forest or cave she had read about in one of her books to find some artifact to give her the powers to go into the world of the dead to find her friend, and through the power of this whatever thing she has, her friend stays with her and maybe uses her spirit energy to power their abilities or something

I dont know, theres alot of things you can do with a character like that, all kinds of scenarios and persona's you can come up with, I think a character like that could easily fit in well in league, stylitsically and gameplay wise.

bigSushiNinja

09-18-2012

Morello,

I've always wondered why you don't have katanas in your game. When I first joined this game, I noticed that yi was a swordsman, but it just didn't seen appealing because he seemed kind of silly to me. Upon the release of Riven, I freaked out and found my main (been playing her since release). Any comment on why there aren't any katanas in your game? (Aside from samurai yi...)

Not saying that i feel as though Katanas are necessary, but I'm curios as to why such a beautiful weapon hasn't been explored in League too deeply yet.

Anaisu

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venova View Post
right but those are small tiny yordle sort of champions like annie, not taller more normal sized humans, i'm saying a young human girl type character, 12 or so, who through some event in her past ended up joining the league, maybe she's the daughter of Demacia or Piltover person and Nocturne took her best friend's soul, so she went into some dark forest or cave she had read about in one of her books to find some artifact to give her the powers to go into the world of the dead to find her friend, and through the power of this whatever thing she has, her friend stays with her and maybe uses her spirit energy to power their abilities or something

I dont know, theres alot of things you can do with a character like that, all kinds of scenarios and persona's you can come up with, I think a character like that could easily fit in well in league, stylitsically and gameplay wise.

I see what you're getting at now, yea that wouldn't be a bad idea for a younger champ at all.

Roneide

09-18-2012

I think he looks like Nai'x, from DotA. A melee, solo top, maybe jungle bruiser.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-18-2012
57 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsOfGrandeur View Post
Don't be fooled, guys.

He gave the same impression about Zyra's plant-minion things. It won't be nearly as crazy as what we gamers (who play crazy stuff like Super Smash Bros, Soul Calibur, and World of Warcraft) are used to.

@Morello:

When we read the word "crazy", we (I do, at least) imagine things like an AoE can can cover an entire map (twice as far, and trice as wide as Lux's R), or a knock-back that can send a champion across the map.

:P
I said crazy, not OP :P

Morello

Lead Designer

09-18-2012
58 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naziru View Post
Hello Morello, so glad to have stumbled upon this thread and here's hoping you grace me with a reply. I havereally noticed a general trend towards generalizing gameplay, maybe it is simply because so many different kits have been used at this point there's bound to be more overlap but still, for most new release you can expect maybe one new ability or one new twist on an ability and the rest to be more or less rehashed from older characters(darius for example), granted with Zyra you really hit a home run imo, even if she is basically a heaimer rehash her gameplay is still entirely unique to her.

Secondarily I really miss the days where you seemed to have alot more options tactically then 1ad, 1 ap, support, and two tanky/dps, for example siege mode heimer was one of my favorites to play and he was basically reverted into a burst mage and a crummy one at that or old eve where if she caught you you were basically guaranteed a death yet conversely smart warding/oracles play made her practically a non threat. I would really like you guys to release characters who can actually surprise me with new gameplay rather than simply do the same things an old one did but better ya know.

I like being surprised, I like the thrill that comes from facing an enemy with secrets, one whom you don't know what they are going to do from the get go and have to out think and outplay them to effectively win. These days hardly a game goes by where I don't know from champ select with 90% certainty what each person(including myself) is going to buy and how they are likely going to play, ie nasus top so its a farm lane or I see leblanc mid and know shes going to go for a super aggro roaming mid game, etc.

I guess my point would be make characters that can keep me on my toes, characters with many different viable strategies, I feel Jayce was a good example but I know you guys can do better, also it's hard to say without playing him first but this newest monster seems like a definate step in the right direction. I want you to remember I have faith in you Rioters to deliver greatness and just as I have been since I joined around the Nidalee patch I will be watching here in the shadows =P.

P.S. whats up with closing the lore department? I miss mai Journal of Justice and the living world it represented for me ='(.
This "I miss the days when" isn't actually due to changes with the game, but the natural evolution of skill as a game is out longer. When games are new, no one knows what is optimal, and experimentation is in greater demand as people try to figure it out. As people learn more and get better, this gets harder because "what's best" gets more defined.

The good news is that I want to be a bit disruptive with Season 3: Xypherous is overhauling a bunch of items to meet this goal, though I'm not ready to share details yet. We do think with the rate we change our game helps with us being able to fight this, so that after 10 years League doesn't become rote and predictable.

RE: Champion Design, I just completely disagree. The champions need to do something sensible in our game, but they also have pretty unique gameplay hooks - juggling axes on Draven, charging Varus' Q, Rengar's Ferocity system, Syndra being able to manipulate objects...I dunno man. I think our champions this year are mostly -really- good :x