Riven or Olaf? Redux

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lumek

09-14-2012

I'm reposting this from GD, since GD was moving too fast and I wasn't really getting any helpful responses. Yes, I suck for doing that, but hopefully you're nice enough to look past that.

I'm looking to get one more top laner before I REALLY start to work on my other roles (I CAN play all the roles, but Top lane is by far my best and I really need to look into getting my other roles up to par before I try ranked). I already have tanky and AP champs to bring top, so the last thing I need is a physical damage dealer, which is where Riven and Olaf come in.

Olaf I feel might bring more to team fights, due to being built tanky and becoming immune to CC allowing him to zone out the enemy carries, plus he has poke and the ability to farm safely when behind in his Undertow. The main weakness here is that I feel he'll get boring quickly, since his style of play doesn't look like it mixes up very often.

Riven is a harder champion to play, and so I feel that taking the time to learn her will be of real benefit to me overall as a player, as it will help me work on my mechanics. She can deal a LOT of damage (something I rarely get to do since I usually play the team tank), and has a lot of mobility, but I'm not sure if she'll bring as much to the team as Olaf, plus she's twice the price IP wise (not going to say no to her just because of that, but it's worth considering). I'm also a bit concerned about how snowbally she's said to be, which makes me feel if I just go even in lane then I'll find myself behind, but I have no idea whether or not this is accurate. I KNOW she's more fun though since her skills have more depth to them than Olaf's, plus I've been playing her a bit this freeweek, and I can do well with her, but still have the added glory of knowing I played her horribly and I still have a mountain to climb to become truly great with her.

Anyone have any input they'd like to offer? I'm leaning towards Riven at the moment, but my lack of knowledge about her teamfight capabilities are keeping it from being a sure purchase. Thanks in advance

TL;DR: Riven vs Olaf. Who I buy? Go.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2012

Olaf will help you toward your goal of learning other lanes as well, as he is a good pick as a jungler. While Riven can be played jungle as well, she's significantly less common, to the best of my knowledge.

As far as IP goes, the 3150 you save buying Olaf instead of Riven will go a long way toward runes or cheap champions for other roles, to give you some added versatility.

That's about all I can contribute - I'm a terrible top laner and avoid the role if at all possible, so I have no advice for you there.

thenewattacker

09-14-2012

get riven because she is more fun and a game is for having fun right?

Lumek

09-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
Olaf will help you toward your goal of learning other lanes as well, as he is a good pick as a jungler. While Riven can be played jungle as well, she's significantly less common, to the best of my knowledge.

As far as IP goes, the 3150 you save buying Olaf instead of Riven will go a long way toward runes or cheap champions for other roles, to give you some added versatility.

That's about all I can contribute - I'm a terrible top laner and avoid the role if at all possible, so I have no advice for you there.
Well, I already have Udyr, Malphite, Maokai, Nunu, Mundo and someone else I can't remember right now for when I decide I want to improve my jungling, so Olaf's usability in other areas isn't much of a factor. I'm also noticing an issue with Riven, in that her cooldowns feel a bit long. Maybe I'm just building poorly, but I don't really get where CDR would come into her build, and so everything has a 10 second cooldown. Is that going to be an issue?

Syferfyre

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumek View Post
Well, I already have Udyr, Malphite, Maokai, Nunu, Mundo and someone else I can't remember right now for when I decide I want to improve my jungling, so Olaf's usability in other areas isn't much of a factor. I'm also noticing an issue with Riven, in that her cooldowns feel a bit long. Maybe I'm just building poorly, but I don't really get where CDR would come into her build, and so everything has a 10 second cooldown. Is that going to be an issue?
You can use your q 3 times, between autoattacks. Most bad rivens forget about her passive, which decreases he power by a lot. Just stack BT's xDDDD

Lumek

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syferfyre View Post
You can use your q 3 times, between autoattacks. Most bad rivens forget about her passive, which decreases he power by a lot. Just stack BT's xDDDD
Well, yeah, I knew that, but still, I just felt kinda helpless after I used everything. Maybe I just built poorly that game cause it took me forever to get enough on a back for a BF sword.

Any other opinions?

PogoPogoPogoPogo

09-16-2012

Riven is hard to play?

LarcyBrown

09-16-2012

riven will have the opportunity to damage and crowd control multiple enemies in a teamfight,she more of a damage dealer to multiple targets and has nice cc.
Olaf is more of pick 1 target and use your ult and other abilities to burst him down in teamfights.
Once his ult runs out, his passive makes him a great duelist, he does need to be more tanky tough.

Do note as far as laning goes olaf ults does make him immune to cc but riven has a damaging range ult which does more damage the lower the hp the enemies are.riven has more damage while olaf has a utility ult.
If you want to somewhat tank for your team and take out a target quickly i would recommand olaf.
If you want mobility some very good aoe damage and a timing base to be good aoe cc stun, pick riven.
If you want just proper timing of abilities to own people , crowd control short stun , riven is that.
If you can aim axes, barge in there and PAWN people.Single target killing damage and excellent duelist at low hp,olaf is that.
I think riven is more reliable then olaf for late game.But olaf snowball potential early game is MUCH higher.
Both these champions are not hard to play at all but you do need a bit of pratice with riven to time the stun properly and actually aim the ult.
Olaf you need to know how to aim axes thats about it, you can be fixed weather you can do it well or not pretty quickly on that not much pratice needed, you do need to know how to man up mid game on olaf that passive can turn the tide quite radically sometimes.

t3hep1cf47m4n

09-16-2012

for CDR, your only real option is the brutalizer --> ghostblade.

Lumek

10-01-2012

As much as I hate to necro this, the issue still stands (postponed by University stuff until now). My position on the issue has changed somewhat though, as will be posted below.

Riven I will always have a soft spot for simply because of a built in prejudice. When I was leveling up, I always heard of Riven, this legendary champ that could destroy everything forever if the player was good enough, but had a high skillcap. I ignored her when leveling because I was put off by the high skillcap part. Now that I'm confident in my skills at this game (not pro, but good among the bads, if that makes any sense) I can actually look into her.

I'm really keen on her early game power, since all of my champions for top lane have a rough laning phase until they get some levels under their belts, but her squishiness worries me. I'm also worried about her snowbally-ness. My ideal champ is one that CAN snowball, but can function just fine by farming a lot, having the ability to come back from a bad laning phase etc., and I'm not sure if Riven can really do that. On the flip side, I know I'm too passive as a player and I'm trying to work on that. Riven's emphasis on early game would probably help that. I'm also still worried about her teamfight presence. I know she's good at bursting down the carries if she gets to them, but I don't like basing my entire strategy around suiciding. I like being alive, after all, some of my best memories are from being alive.

Olaf is cheap. Thats a somewhat more important factor, but hardly a deciding one. Olaf has a better time recovering from a weak early game than Riven due to his Q, plus his Q will help me work on skillshots. I also like Olaf because his lategame I KNOW is powerful. Due to his tanky-CDR build, I know I can still do some decent damage, and while I can't burst down a carry like Riven can, I can mow through tank lines like nobody else. Or I could just turn on CC immunity and ignore the tank line entirely to zone the carries. Plus he's harder to kill and has sustain, which is a plus. Main issue here is mobility.

One thing that frustrates me about a lot of my champions is that everyone can always just stay out of my range and I can't harass them out of lane. The only speed Olaf is getting is from Ghost and masteries, which is too situational for my liking. Theres also something about Olaf that just bugs me. While I like the satisfying feeling of dropping E on someone (especially since E is spammable) he has no real burst, and I LOVE bursting things, although sustain damage is arguably more favorable due to most fights being against other bruisers, since I hate the helpless feeling of not quite having the damage to burst someone down.

Olaf's gameplay looks fairly satisfying, and from what I hear his early game is also pretty sweet, I'm just worried that I'll wind up kited all day.

I suppose I could just get them both, but then I need to farm up 3k IP while juggling university stuff, and it delays me getting into other roles even longer.

Thoughts? Again, sorry to necro, but this is bugging me a LOT more than it should be.