rengar: not an assassin, a melee fighter.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kyzonu

09-15-2012

that is what he is, build armor/mr/health+ad items on him and you'll see that he can face anybody. he might not have a great survivability, but his damage is way higher than most melee fighters in the game. add a stealth to that and that makes him the perfect champion to kill squishy ad carries or mages.

Sogreth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyzonu View Post
he might not have a great survivability
I think his survivability is great, after you jump on someone, use your MR and AR bonus skill. Plus he can also heal himself for 15% of his max health. And if worse comes to worse, pop ult and run away.

I think Rengar always does bad because people make him as a glass cannon assassin. Which is alright but....build him like a tanky DPS, and he will still wreak faces, and he would still be able to jump on the enemy carry and kill them easy, while still surviving himself. Rather than just diving in, hoping for a kill, then dying yourself. It would be like an Irelia, it's hard to stop her from getting to your carry.

Evolnemesis

09-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogreth View Post
I think his survivability is great, after you jump on someone, use your MR and AR bonus skill. Plus he can also heal himself for 15% of his max health. And if worse comes to worse, pop ult and run away.

I think Rengar always does bad because people make him as a glass cannon assassin. Which is alright but....build him like a tanky DPS, and he will still wreak faces, and he would still be able to jump on the enemy carry and kill them easy, while still surviving himself. Rather than just diving in, hoping for a kill, then dying yourself. It would be like an Irelia, it's hard to stop her from getting to your carry.
Yeah, he's not an assassin exactly, think of it this way, a fighter is really a hybrid of tank/assassin... they can range more to the tank side or more to the damage/executing champs side or be kind of in the middle, okay at both... he is definitely all the way on the damage/execution side... or call him a fighter/assassin hybrid if you will...

He's right there on the edge... so you don't want to ignore damage at all, and you want to maximize his burst, but I agree that he would do well with at least some defensive gear or something like frozen mallet too; despite being squishy for a melee fighter, he scales a lot better with it and gets more use out of it than your typical assassin. The main thing that seperates him from an assassin is that an assassin can use their mobility to escape... he can't. He also has nothing in his kit that will let him avoid damage or stop anyone from doing damage for any amount of time.

A real assassin has slightly better tactics to help lock down his victim, stop them from using abilities or just avoid a lot of their damage, and keep their teammates off or also avoid a lot of their damage, like talon's or kassadin's silence, or nocturne's fear, akali's shroud, or even kat or leblanc's short stuns and mobility. Basically, he has no effective way in his kit to ignore or avoid anyone's damage for any period of time; if there are people around who want to hit him, he can't stop any of them short of killing them, including his victim... all he can do is tank it and try to either kill the damage source faster or get away before he dies, which is another reason why a little bit of defense will help him.

That brings us to his defensive steroid, which helps him tank that damage while he kills people... it also effectively makes all health gear you get for him much better and more useful. That is definitely a fighter's ability, as is the fact that his primary form of cc is a slow... slows are designed to let a champ stick on someone in order to attack them continuously in a fight, not to facilitate bursting them to death yourself or as any kind of effective escape mechanism (since he doesn't need his slow at all to get his initial burst anyway)... he COULD use his snare, but only at the cost of his burst; and after attacking he effectively loses use of it for a good while, so he can't use it to escape either most of the time... kind of taking away any actual usefulness the snare might have for him as an assassin. His snare ends up being more of a tactical ability you use to help your team catch people, to save a teammate, or to let him catch up to a runner who is really low, in other words, his bolo is the kind of utility a fighter has.

Leotamer

09-15-2012

The problem is that he is just weak compared to other tops and jungle. It seems recently I been doing better with him, for an unknown reason though.

Kandehbar

09-15-2012

He is both

Assassin + Fighter = Hunter

he is a Hunter

Evolnemesis

09-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandehbar View Post
He is both

Assassin + Fighter = Hunter

he is a Hunter

He is a hunter who wants to sell me Frosted Flakes...