Balancing Technology and Magic

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotBabagahnoosh

Creative Designer

Follow babagahnoosh on Twitter

09-15-2010
2 of 2 Riot Posts

FWIW, our goal with techmaturgy/hextech is not to duplicate steampunk. We're trying to explore how technology might evolve in a fantasy-based setting; if we wanted to purely duplicate the themes and concepts of steampunk, we'd just do that. Of course techmaturgy is inspired by steampunk. Several of us here are crazy about it (myself included).

It's always been mind boggling how a fantasy world, so rich in magic, would also feel so backward at times. I think the goal in developing Runeterra as a world is to provide a number of modern real world concepts to it to actually help make it a more believable and accessible society. It certainly makes it more fun and interesting.

Dracorya

09-15-2010

Well to be frank, WOW seems to pull off very well a world that is well versed in magic...but still technological advanced for its setting. (At least Alliance wise).

Lord Abbendis

09-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBabagahnoosh View Post
It's not a typical fantasy world - that's for sure. I've never been a huge fan of traditional stoic fantasy settings. I think a lot of the fantasy-ish worlds you see in recent video games and literature is a bit of a rebellion against the norm, and I for one love it. Fantasy should be just that - fantastic in nature. Anything is possible, provided you are able to successfully suspend your audience's disbelief enough.
This right here, personally games like TES(I know I bring this game up alot but it was a major RPG I played awhile ago) Oblivion were to generic and did not bring anything new, like LoL did.

turntekGodhead

09-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBabagahnoosh View Post
FWIW, our goal with techmaturgy/hextech is not to duplicate steampunk. We're trying to explore how technology might evolve in a fantasy-based setting; if we wanted to purely duplicate the themes and concepts of steampunk, we'd just do that. Of course techmaturgy is inspired by steampunk. Several of us here are crazy about it (myself included).

It's always been mind boggling how a fantasy world, so rich in magic, would also feel so backward at times. I think the goal in developing Runeterra as a world is to provide a number of modern real world concepts to it to actually help make it a more believable and accessible society. It certainly makes it more fun and interesting.
Is techmaturgy based on magic though? Or is it the other way around? In what direction does the information flow? Or are they two separete camps?

Zzilb

09-15-2010

that question makes no sense to me, Eiko. The purpose of any applied knowledge is simply in creating practical results. On the one hand we have Magic; The ability for mages to enact a huge array of practical results through such things as mana energy and runecraft. On the other hand we have Technology; The ability for scientists to enact a huge array of practical results through such things as kinetic energy and voltage.

I expect runeterran denizens find the two difficult to distinguish from eachother. Both harness quirks discovered in how the world works. For us as players, the difference is merely that magic isnt real. mana isnt real. runes arent real.

If you are a character in the story right now, with how undefined the differences are, science could be thought of as just another branch of magic, or magic as just a branch of science. Why would it matter?

I guess one reason that comes to mind for the separation is that, perhaps, magic all ties to the same source element, unlike how science is a hugely unspecific term that can apply to nearly anything. Chemical science, Aeroscience, ect.. Talking about 'magic' would just be a way of talking about things that come of the source, and you could be further specific by talking about Clairvoyance or Hextech, putting those on par with Medicine, and you could be Even Further specific by talking about sub-disciplines thereof, Corpsecrafting vs Heart Surgery, and finally you arrive at supreme specificity: A technique of Corpsecraft for threading necro-essense through technomantic arteries vs A technique of Heart Surgery for installing an artificial valve.

Other than that im at a loss. ;D

Krom3

02-19-2011

Runeterra always reminded me of the Jak and Daxter world mixed with the world of Lost Odyssey i doubt either of these games had any influence on the general design but coincidentally both of them seem similar...just an observation though

Hotarukin

02-19-2011

Final Fantasy 6 (American 3) is an amazing blend of tech and magic (even going so far as to have technology that replicates magic). It was one of my first forays into such. Chrono trigger gets special mention here as there was ONE timeframe where both existed together naturally, but FF6 still did it best, IMO.

Cidem1324

Web Content Assistant

02-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorayai View Post
can anyone explain to me what techmaturgy is? i dont really understand

(not sure if this is a good question for this thread but i just thought i'd ask)
Essentially, techmaturgy is "scientific technology" run on magic. Hextech is essentially "scientific devices" run on magic.

Magic is dominant over science for the most part in their world, but science still plays a huge part in that it uses raw magic in a different way.

Kilraith

02-19-2011

One thing I would like to see in Runeterra is a waaay technologically influenced race. We have Ionia which is, as I see it, a martial arts ninja kinda place. Zaun which is hextech central and things like that. So I think that it might be possible to bring in a place that discourages the use of magic. It goes with my theory that a world with magic will progress much less technologically because they have hundreds of different fields and therefore certain subjects will be less developed than others.

Say there are two worlds paralleling each other. They start out the same but if one were to discover magic and the other did not they would progress in two different ways. Because the one did not discover magic it might continue like our world today, but the one with magic would IMO treat that as say a seperate field of science and therefore progress a lot there but not as much as the other world in science. One book I liked that kind of explains this is David Weber's and Linda Evan's Multiverse books. Its long but a good read.

So if there were a place or people that didn't use or study magic they would be further in a technological viewpoint. I guess Yordles like Heimdinger could fit the bill but they have always felt like more hextech to me. Anyway just going to put the idea out there. If I get motivated enough I might try and design a city and champion to describe what I mean.

And to fit the balance between magic and tech criteria, I think LoL does quite well. Hextech is probably what most technology would develope into because Magic seems like the easier power source to harness. Personally I like and would use tech over magic but I'm not sure if I could see the difference if they were both brought up at the same time.

Thanatos0400

10-04-2011

This reminds me so much of the game Rise of Legends. It's an rts game where magic and steampunk tech exist side by side. Its and awesome but rather rare concept. All the more reasons to love the league