Why is Zooming out Illegal?

First Riot Post
123456 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

QwertyiouP

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-09-2012

This thread will get very large.

It will not be responded to by a Red.

WOW

ok, I take back my wow. That was a really stupid post. I think I'm dumber now.

Like holy ****. That **** is really ****ing stupid.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

09-09-2012
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelijord Ashe View Post
What sadistic person set up the camera so you can see no more than 85% of top or bot lane?
Me.

Strangely, I did it to make a better game, so I don't think it counts as 'sadism'.

The game plays better and controls better at a slightly narrow, slightly paranoid view level. How do I know this? Because we messed around with it some early during development.

We want people to make errors in looking around to get ganked. That also does help you gank at non-pro skill levels.

Also, if we allowed ANY zoom, a lot of people would feel compelled to play at the max, even though they were having more frustration controlling things, and a less visually pleasing experience. They would also suffer at the same time in both directions from a different lane feel.

So, we set the rules as they are, and demand that people keep the playing field even between them and their opponents and everyone wins out. It's sortof like having a waiting line at Chipotle. If they didn't, and just served whoever muscled to the front first, it would work just fine, but the overall experience is better with the minor rule. Field of view is the same way.

Anyway, please don't run programs that modify your game memory and protected values.

Jayeto

09-09-2012

actually if you adjust the zoom in anyway shape or fashion on ONE screen is agaisnt the rules (idk somewhere). BUT if you get 3 screens and hook them up to make one image then max to full size you can see half more than max zoom and not receive any type of punishment.... i know odd right.

Ko Hakoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2012

Do you play with a locked camera?

Thats unhealthy

09-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Me. Strangely, I did it to make a better game.

The game plays better and plays better at a slightly narrow, slightly paranoid view level. We want people to make errors in looking around get ganked. That also does help you gank at non-pro skill levels.

Also, if we allowed ANY zoom, people would typically play at the max, and have a less exciting, less visually pleasing experience. So, we set the rules as they are, and demand that people keep the playing field even between them and their opponents.
So....What you're saying is.....We're playing Slender?

Jayeto

09-09-2012

Quote:

The game plays better and plays better at a slightly narrow, slightly paranoid view level. We want people to make errors in looking around get ganked. That also does help you gank at non-pro skill levels.

Also, if we allowed ANY zoom, people would typically play at the max, and have a less exciting, less visually pleasing experience. So, we set the rules as they are, and demand that people keep the playing field even between them and their opponents.

tell that to people who pvp in games like WoW >.>

Dirty Foot

09-09-2012

Quote:

But, pairing that with the decision to put one person in the bottom left, and another in the top right in an isometric view just creates a false sense of difficulty for people that end up unluckily on purple team.

I also highly disagree with your contention about everyone always playing at max distance. That would, 100 percent, destroy the laning phase and any other smaller skirmishes because people wouldn't be last-hitting or harassing at all.

Feladorzor

09-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigopl View Post
Please tell me 1 good reason why I cant freaking zoom out to at least see the field of view for my character? And another good reason I just got banned for three days because I adjusted my zoom rate so I could see something? Adjusting a zoom rate is not against the rules because I never modified any files from riot.

Rofl.

Owned.

Lilfinch

09-09-2012

I just want all of kogmaw's range to fit on my screen.

FDru

09-09-2012

Dominion has a nice view setting. I didn't notice how bad SR was until I quit playing it for a few months.

123456 ... 11