Scoots, manager of team EG, confirms exclusivity contracts by Riot

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DoctorMcPain

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid Dreaming View Post
Go fuck yourself Riot

Go fuck yourself Riot

Go fuck yourself Riot

Go fuck yourself Riot

Go fuck yourself Riot

Go fuck yourself Riot

Go fuck yourself Riot

Go fuck yourself Riot

Go fuck yourself Riot
That's not really constructive

Captain Jack32

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanamoto View Post
This makes perfect sense. Riot should not be paying a group with BLC, DotA, and HoN on their rosters. This can easily be solved by a group splitting off into EG and EG-LoL, where obviously the LoL team is on the new group.
If you say it enough it becomes truth, because clearly having a slightly different name will fool Riot, and once it does is totally not unnecessary bull**** that is there for no reason.

XxY0LO420SWAGxX

09-06-2012

bump

Mythoclast

09-06-2012

Well I was kinda on Riot and MLGs side with the whole colluding BS but I am kinda against Riot on this. Especially the whole business with not being upfront about it.

Jerubbaal

09-06-2012

Is Riot going to comment on these apart from dismissing them as rumors?

DoctorMcPain

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerubbaal View Post
There are red responses on the EUW thread but it's just dismissal.

Crownface

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerubbaal View Post
They don't usually comment on it, but they delete their comments about it being rumors or whatnot later, and that's kind of like their admittance.

Other times, they'll make a thread about how they messed up this time, here's the full story, this is why it would have been beneficial for everyone, and then post some really weak explanation full of holes and contradictions that they'll never follow up on, but they'll be sure to end the post with "We'll keep on improving our communication in the future!" or something to that extent.

I don't think that'll happen this time though, since it involves them overtly disrespecting professional teams and competition in general.

Sagovirus

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorMcPain View Post
http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/commen...m_exclusivity/

On the Live on Three show.

This is his Twitter account, as I said he's team boss of EG so no bull**** here.

Here's the specific section of the video where he talks about these contracts

http://www.twitch.tv/onemoregametv/b...9144?t=108m00s

For those who don't have an idea of what's going on here's a summary, courtesy of user Lucid Dreaming who explained it really well

Rileno of coL also confirms

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/commen...sivity/c642gyf
http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/commen...sivity/c643p2i

More on Riot's exclusivity contracts, confirmed by Kennigit (manager of TeamLiquid)

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/co...dota_2/c611bb4

RiotJanook deleting his comments on Reddit after the ****storm

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...in_pro/c63o73g

The now deleted comment said something along the lines of

"It was, and still is, just a rumor"

If you guys are interested or doubtful about this, there's an interesting interview with Scarra where he sheds some insight on Riot's command of the League competitive scene

http://youtu.be/_i5676n11NA?hd=1&t=1h13m48s

Remember that blindly supporting Riot will never do good to League of Legends as a game, especially as a competitive game. If you want League to grow because you love League, then you have to be ready to raise your voice. This path isn't just business, and it's not something that won't affect League of Legends. Even if you don't care about DOTA, HoN and whatnot, remember that competition is healthy for all, as it pushes dev companies to best themselves and offer a better deal and ultimately a better game. Riot is trying to undermine this principle instead of working harder on their title.

This is not acceptable. It's not acceptable for e-sports, it's not acceptable for gamers, it's not acceptable from a business point of view because people are investing a lot into this game, either professionals with their time and careers or individuals who buy content.

As for myself I have been supporting Riot for 2 full years, spending about 1000 on the game and being extremely enthusiast about it until Riot started to pull off these questionable maneuvers, first with MLG, then with the unnecessary balances on Orianna aimed at low Elo and the absolutely terrible releases aimed to fit a stale metagame that needed change if anything, then this disgusting attempt to damage other titles.

I have completely stopped putting any of my money and time into Riot's game and I will continue to do so until their attitude towards e-sports as well as their own game is brought to a change. I think League of Legends is a fun game that could easily become a major competitor in e-sports, and I think this is insulting to both the potential of the game itself and the community that's supporting it.

Riot will need to change their policy drastically and stop acting like they can push other titles around with just money. Other titles are giving users more and better content, a completely free hero pool which leads to serious balancing that isn't aimed at boosting sales, constant quality updates on models and features. Riot needs to step their game up and that's the healthiest and best thing the League community should ask for. People really need to fight for this so that this potentially great game doesn't get destroyed by greed.

That is all.

EUW THREAD http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=836063

TeamLiquid article http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=366477
It's "strange" that all those structures... are some that can't do anything, have any results, are CERTAIN not to be in the "pro" S3 teams of their regions unless they buy out another structure's team AND will probably not even be able to get results with the circuit tourneys after all the top teams go in the pro Circuit.

Honestly it's more than weird and sketchy, and i doubt Riot would be stupid enough for that, since it would actually antagonize ALL the big structures in the world and PARTICULARILY all the Asian ones who have/will have DotA/DotA2 teams, it's a certainty, they know it, and they know they won't drop them, too much money to make in it.

Worst case scenario they would use the easy loophole of :
we shard the LoL structure out, as an "independant" entity fully owned by the mother structure, which while being able to sign those agreements with Riot would funnel back all the money in the mother structure through contracts/agreements around marketing/promotion/use of infrastructures and so on.

For Riot to try that sort of move it would require a massive pool of braindead ret*rds, coupled with incompetent layers, and people with no clue about how to run a business or how to work (easily) around those constraints (ok it's plausible for Riot in the end ).

DoctorMcPain

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagovirus View Post
For Riot to try that sort of move it would require a massive pool of braindead ret*rds, coupled with incompetent layers, and people with no clue about how to run a business or how to work (easily) around those constraints (ok it's plausible for Riot in the end ).
Then all it takes is for Riot to openly say that such discussions never took place and all these organizations were lying. If they are in the right they should have no issue with speaking the truth.

As of now all Riot has stated was limited to "We are not forcing teams in S3" which is nice and all but doesn't cover the key point: was Riot set on going through with these contracts? Did they talk about this stuff with the teams involved? Did they change their minds from the backlash as stated by the teams or is it all a lie?

RedBeard

VP of eSports

09-06-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Guys, let’s clear this up: this was a big miscommunication between Riot and a few teams. We are not requiring team organizations to be exclusive to League of Legends, period.

Our goal as an eSports organization is simple. It’s to do our best to over deliver on the expectations of our fans. This is why we have made a very large commitment to eSports, despite being a young company relative to some of the largest game companies in the world. We have set a high bar for ourselves as we have decided to take on some ambitious and unconventional risks such as building an official league and formalizing consistent regular season play. We have made this a focus because we love eSports as much as our fans and we believe it deserves the best possible production quality, live events, and fan/player experience. And ultimately, we believe our initiative and investment in eSports will help every competitive game.