Let's talk about abuse of the report feature

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-05-2012
142 of 142 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM ROB1N View Post
The biggest question I want answered is the flagging for a player that leaves. Everytime I get DC'd or end up "AFK" are all for legit reasons. I am not a kid and I have children so sometimes yes I have to attend to them. Why should I get reported because I have a family? I get bad weather in my area and sometimes yes it effects my internet and sometimes I do get DC or someone in my family trips it. Also sometimes the server does crash my game at times and I get flagged for leaving when it was out of my control. How do you plan to go about this in the future? because if you guys label a leaver as a leaver it makes no sense. How about looking at their most recent actions before they left or AFK'd. When legit things occur or acts of God happen, why am i to suffer?

Also, in the case of a ban, I kno people just create new accounts and just terrorize on the new ones until their main account comes back up. How do you plan to combat this problem too?
Only consistent leavers/AFKs are punished, so if you have to leave because of a rare emergency you usually aren't banned for that behavior.

Alphariter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by splontot View Post
When he gave me mine, he missed my post that asked the page before, so instead of wording it in a way that makes you seem like an immature, impatient child, be polite and ask. I don't know how much time passed between each time you "asked" but wait a bit between each one.
lol, well if you would have read my post.... its from page 344, so about a week and a half ago?
Secondly, I know he is busy (acknowledged in 1st post) and that he is using his own time to do this (also in 1st post). So while its not a big deal if he cant get to it, I figured I would take the chance since he has posted like 3 times in the past 20 mins.....

But, thanks for the suggestion. Maybe don't be so quick to judge? Just posting at a chance for him to notice it again. If he doesn't, which is like 90-95% probable, it wont be the end of the world for me. As a matter of fact, I just got skipped over again . Oh well.

Shalquoir

09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphariter View Post
lol, well if you would have read my post.... its from page 344, so about a week and a half ago?
Secondly, I know he is busy (acknowledged in 1st post) and that he is using his own time to do this (also in 1st post). So while its not a big deal if he cant get to it, I figured I would take the chance since he has posted like 3 times in the past 20 mins.....

But, thanks for the suggestion. Maybe don't be so quick to judge? Just posting at a chance for him to notice it again. If he doesn't, which is like 90-95% probable, it wont be the end of the world for me. As a matter of fact, I just got skipped over again . Oh well.
Just as (I assume) Lyte doesn't know who you are by your name, I'm guessing that just from reading that one post, if hes anything like I am, he saw it as an "entitled" post. Again, I have no way to speak for him, I'm just saying the way I saw it at a glance.

IM ROB1N

09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Only consistent leavers/AFKs are punished, so if you have to leave because of a rare emergency you usually aren't banned for that behavior.
Thank you! that was very informative and I appreciate the quick response!

Alphariter

09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by splontot View Post
Just as (I assume) Lyte doesn't know who you are by your name, I'm guessing that just from reading that one post, if hes anything like I am, he saw it as an "entitled" post. Again, I have no way to speak for him, I'm just saying the way I saw it at a glance.
Sure, we are all entitled to our own opinions. However, I could probably spend the next 20 minutes quoting posters who were much.... MUCH more negative in their posts that received a response. But, I must get back to computer simulation homework.... checking this is doing me no good.

TheBirdOfPrey

09-05-2012

could you please read my reply earlier(page 509) and get back to me?

Xanthus730

09-05-2012

I'd love to see where I stand on toxicity and report veracity, Lyte, if you would be so kind, please?

LittleDi

09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatingGravy View Post
So you banned my account Flexxon because of a disagreement? I'm sorry, but that's just silly. This is a forum. People debate on forums and can have disagreements. Banning someone because you don't like it is wrong.
I find myself wishing that the power didn't go down today.

Milandar

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexxon View Post
Like I've previously said and have been asking over and over since my first post. I am wondering about why my main account FLEXITILUS was banned nearly a year ago. I've been ignored in MANY riot posts, including this one. They ALL have skipped over me or avoided answering my question. All I want to know is why my main was banned. I know exactly why I was suspended the first two times, but every subsequent suspension and the perma ban that followed made no sense to me.

I actually contacted support EVERY time I was suspended and asked NICELY what it was that got me banned. I was trying VERY hard to learn what I actually did wrong so I could fix it and not lose my account. EVERY time I asked, Riot's support told me to read the code of conduct. They also told me "Your actions are confidential and we cannot tell you why you were banned".

My actions were so confidential I couldn't even know what they were so I could fix them. When a company says something like this, it really worries me. I am asking how I can be a better part of the community and riot tells me that they are unwilling to help me change.

I watched myself for a VERY long time after that, receiving bans monthly until the final perma ban. Each time I asked what I did wrong, got the same response and I tried even harder each time to be good.

I know that I didn't deserve the perma ban. Riot won't investigate it either. Either they are refusing to investigate, or they DID investigate and are afraid to admit a mistake. I would be more than happy actually if Riot wanted to tell me in this post that I was wrong (even though it isn't true) then reinstate my account and send me a private message telling me they are sorry that someone made a mistake. If they want to save face, I understand. All I want is my account that I worked years on and shouldn't have lost.
A lot of banned people have been posting on these forums, and from what I have seen, I feel like most of them deserve it, particularly the ones that throw around terms like "Carebears," or say things like, "its the internet, you should expect bad behavior on the internet." This is the first post that I have seen that actually garnered real sympathy from me, even over the ones that I don't think deserved their bans.

I am 100% serious no sarcasm here, it's genuinely heart-breaking to hear this kind of story. Not because he didn't deserve the ban, but because he can't even tell the difference between monstrous and humane behavior, so much so that he has no idea what to fix. I don't doubt that if this guy was capable of changing, he would, in a heartbeat, but I don't think he can, as hard as he tries.

I suppose there is always the possibility that he is a massive troll, but I don't get that from him at all. If he is a troll, then oh well, I'm not worried about it that much. But if he isn't, then this really hurts to read. I wish you the best Flex, and I hope you can learn to see the suspensions and bans for the gifts that they are, sometimes it takes something a bit drastic to alter our perspectives.

YippotheClown

09-06-2012

Dear Mr. Lyte, if I could have an account check please? I don't believe it should be TOO terrible... my only weakness is a tendency to respond to toxicity with... well, let's just say heavy firepower.

EDIT : Forgot to mention, account name is the same as the forum name, YippotheClown, on NA.

I also should mention that I am hugely in favour of this process. LoL has honestly one of the worst communities of any game I have played, and it could certainly stand to have justice meted out with a heavier hand.