Implementing a VGS function to LoL

First Riot Post
12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

QraQers

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-05-2012

So I've recently been playing a game by Hi-Rez Studios called Smite. It's a 3rd person MOBA platform game that has much to offer the genre altogether. The most influential feature to Smite is VGS ( Voice Game System )

VGS is a quick chat function used to provide useful information to teammates with just a few key strokes.

For example, typing VF1 will automatically type "Enemy Missing Left!" in chat and will also include a voice over that all team members can hear.

To see an example of this:
http://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answe...e-vgs-commands

Why would VGS make LoL better?

1) Ease of access to callouts. Now you can simply do a 3 key combination that will call your lane missing, call an enemy champ going to certain lane, call to fight dragon or baron etc etc. It would fill the void that this game lacks as far as communication.

2) Pings. How many times have you or someone on your team pinged something only for the ping to be misunderstood? IE Pinging that a ward is in a certain area only to have your teammate scout that area thinking that he/she needs to go there.

3) Improving solo queue. IMO the big thing solo queue lacks is proper communication. Thus why solo queue can't really be considered playing a team game. This will allow for you to make the simple callouts needed to do basic functions of the game like defend, retreat, attack, gank etc etc. It will open up the possibility of better teamplay with less typing.

4) People will have less excuses. Using VGS will prove to be a good disclaimer to someone getting ganked or caught in a bad place. So they will no longer be able to place blame cause they had an adequate callout that they probably should've heeded.

Minor Drawbacks:

1) VGS is easily troll friendly. People could just spam it without considering their teammates nerves.
A remedy for this would be to put a cap on the amount of VGS one could use within a certain time period. Say 4 VGS to every 15 secs with a 15 sec refresh on use of 4 VGS.
A short clip of VGS being used excessively in Smite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5XNtROqZL0

2) Still the possibility of misunderstanding. VGS isn't an in-depth communication system. Telling someone to "Attack" in lane doesn't necessarily instruct them on how to handle the fight. This is where typing would come in to explain the intricacies of a situation.

To sum it up, I believe VGS could be a huge asset to all aspects of LoL.
If you agree with this, show your support by commenting and liking this post. As well as spread the word.

If you don't agree with this, show reason as to why and help find ways to fix it.

Thanks guys and let me know what's up.

Edit: A good point was brought up about filtering VGS to make the calls come in different languages.

boourns

UI Designer

09-05-2012
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Neat idea, I think we could do something more precise than what they do. I definitely agree that making it easier to do things like call MIA or on my way somewhere, etc would be good.

Lots of people have asked for an MIA ping (in fact, I wanted to do this when we were making Dominion and also creating the retreat ping). We would probably do something along these lines that would allow more precise messaging.

Prófessor Oak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-05-2012

I approve i'd deal with the trolls

Cryxx

09-05-2012

Hi-Rez I think currently owns the code rights for Dynamic studies original Tribes I believe.

Tribes has had VGS in it since the first one. It's been around for a long time.

They put a toned down version into Smite.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Neat idea, I think we could do something more precise than what they do. I definitely agree that making it easier to do things like call MIA or on my way somewhere, etc would be good.

Lots of people have asked for an MIA ping (in fact, I wanted to do this when we were making Dominion and also creating the retreat ping). We would probably do something along these lines that would allow more precise messaging.
I feel three pings would be great. A 'stay away from here' ping, a 'uhhh...' ping, and a 'go here' ping. The 'uhh...' ping would be great for MIAs, 'are they doing baron?' etc.

KultoDeSkaro

09-05-2012

Quote:

Any plans to help us communicate with people who don't speak our language? I'm pretty good at speaking Spanish but still don't know the word for "turrent." Maybe a glossary or something? Or pre-typed sentances?

QraQers

09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KultoDeSkaro View Post
Any plans to help us communicate with people who don't speak our language? I'm pretty good at speaking Spanish but still don't know the word for "turrent." Maybe a glossary or something? Or pre-typed sentances?
That's a good point. Maybe within the coding of the actual command they could issue language filters just based on the callout itself. So they wouldn't actually need a translator but more or less a different index of words or phrases based on what the certain user's language settings are.

Great idea.

QraQers

09-05-2012

Quote:

Thanks for the support, I hope to hear how you could improve upon it, and more so, if you would actually implement it.

IrrationalNoob

09-05-2012

+1

unIockz

09-05-2012

Seems like a very good idea. Sometimes things happen while you type mia which can get very annoying. +1 in my book

12345 ... 6