Hi, I'm the new eCommerce Director

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gakapo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

Im convinced this guy is god he answers everything.... and agrees with us BOW TO OUR SHOPPERDINGER OVERLORD

ChetV

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

Will 3150 champs also be seeing a reduction in RP?

Synnister

09-04-2012

Could have saved yourself alot of typing by simply saying

"We here at Riot want to pretend that we make sure the player's best interests are at heart. This is why all newly released champions are 6300 IP/975 RP, it takes eons for "prices" to come down, and we make sure it takes a long time to reach such a lofty amount of IP. Thanks!"

Either way, you could have at least kissed us first >_>

On a more or less serious note, IP reductions need to occur -alot- more frequently if you're honestly going to attempt to justify the currently ridiculous pricing scheme. Why not drop at least one champion down a "tier" every time a new one is released?

Meaning, if a 6300 IP champ were being reduced...

6300->4800->3150->1350->450

...while similarly reducing the RP cost.

Not saying that it ought to be the same champ every time, but simply that one champion of any price range ought to be reduced per new champion addition (down to the minimum 450, of course).

Furthermore, to keep your pockets nice and fat (wouldn't want you to give charity to the players or anything), why not allow those who purchase using RP to select one additional "free" skin for using RP to purchase a champ, hmm?

Also, a holiday just passed... would it really kill all of you to start having double IP holiday weekends or something of that nature?

I don't think anybody seriously expects yall to just give us everything free, but for MOST of the time, it truly seems like you're giving us -nothing- And every time you finally do, it's followed with more MONTHS of NOTHING.

SuperLetters

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
I'd like to come up with a permanent policy tor IP reductions that players can rely upon, but am still gathering info to make sure we get the policy right. I'll throw some of my ideas out here to gather more input before anything is finalized.
I'd like to see this priority #1, there are like 35 champions that cost 6300 IP to 12 champions that cost 4800 IP so the IP reductions probably aren't happening as much as they should. Plus its alot harder to ask for a refund because something was reduced right after you bought it when your warned beforehand.

SpaceFrog

09-04-2012

Quote:

I agree global IP boosts can be a great reward for players and can encourage more playtime. I'm exploring a couple ideas along these lines.
How bout IP boosts for certain objectives / occasions.

promote dominion during high queue times

and other low peak times

for instance when a rival game comes out

wow pandas, GW2 etc

Crai Crushna

09-04-2012

Quote:

If enough players wanted something like that, I could probably make it happen. But only if they promised not to call it a grind!

How would we start that petition/poll/signature sign-up?

Also, this game is a grind because of the IP prices. The hole point of a MOBA (which I helped start in the original Star Craft days of 1998, and I do have an Associates in Game Design and you have the Content Designer Position available.....) is too play the different champions to get you're play style down. How can we do that when there are only 10 free champs a week out of 100 total? We have to guess which ones we want based on abilities and youtube or be "forced" to play and buy the free champs so now we have two weeks of being the same person in a row without fun. Fun is subjective but Grinding isn't. Grinding just isn't about doing something repetitive over and over again. Grinding is also about not having fun. I like this game, it's much more balanced than DoTA in WC3/SC2 and DoTA2 but the prices are way too high.

A way to combat this might be to keep the 10 free champs a week going but add this as well:

Give each character X hours of free playtime while also giving each skin as free play time for that duration.
Example: Each character has a 24 hour time period before it becomes locked until you (the player) must buy it to play as that character again. This timer is only during Game Time, which means before minions spawn and when awaiting the brides to connect in dominion count but out of game doesn't. Each skin is unlocked so that we (the player) can actually look at the character's different skins to see if we like them or not.
More Indepth Example: Sona is now unlocked for 24 hours with her skins. This means that I can play as Arcade Sona for 1 game for 40:3 seconds and then the next game I play as regular Sona for 28:54.
That means my total time is now 24:00:00 - 00:40:30 = 23:19:30 - 00:28:54 = 22:40:36 left.
I only used 24 hours as a base as that is the time for 1 day, but I would rather use somewhere between 6-12 hours total.

Just some food for thought. Have a nice day/night all.

IS1823f168c21986

09-04-2012

Quote:
If enough players wanted something like that, I could probably make it happen. But only if they promised not to call it a grind!
20k ip for 975 rp skin? Are you sure you wanna back that? Cause you can bet your ass I'll start playing more, and so will the MILLIONNSSSSS

ƒ Shepherd Book

09-04-2012

Quote:
has the idea of spending a lot of IP on a skin like say 20k IP=975 skin ever been said?
Quote:
I personally like keeping skins separate and only purchasable via RP.

People will want options, but as you mentioned, adding a high IP cost would most likely lead to more whining about having to grind for things. I like the idea that you can unlock anything functional in the game for free and that customization is where the money comes in.

I, for one, would not spend IP on skins, given the choice. There are already things that require lots of IP (rune pages!!!) and, as somebody who doesn't play more than 4-5 games a week, all of my IP goes to champions.

Additionally, seeing/buying skins gives a nice fuzzy feeling of supporting Riot that having the ability to purchase via IP would cheapen.

Zerothma

09-04-2012

I was just about to buy Caitlyn...

You are my new favorite eCommerce Director.

Kyrrion

09-04-2012

Along the lines of IP policy, what about an "IP cap"? Where all the cost of every champion combined cannot pass X, and older champs pricing must be reduced to allow new arrivals? Would that be feasible in any way? I highly doubt older champs are really raking in the dough by themselves (not counting skins).