Hi, I'm the new eCommerce Director

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheBronzeLegend

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

As a player that does not have many champs, every time there's an IP reduction, it seems to take more than half a year to get another. Will this be adjusted?

LikesTacos

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
The bonus started this afternoon and runs through the end of the day on September 10. It should also work for prepaid cards if they are redeemed during those dates.
I've made 3 50$ dollar RP purchases in the past 30 day period. The most recent was on the 1st. I'm kinda upset you guys refuse to give advance notice(2 weeks heads up kinda like how we find out about champions) with initiatives like this. I certainly would of waited 3 days to make a 100$ RP purchase instead of my most recent 50$.

Clerigon

09-04-2012

Hi, does riot have any plan to expand the game to other countries? im talking about using more local currencies. the $ and are not accessible currencies in a lot of countries. This will shut down those ppl who are making a lot of money using this method, go to usa and spend $800 in riot point them sell that in other countries, so they gain like 200-300%

AmericanLoLer

09-04-2012

Firstly, congrats to you on your new position.

I was wondering, if we had purchased these champions before the reductions, will we be receiving compensation for what we originally paid vs what they worth now? In other words, will I be getting some of my IP/RP back?

Highborne

09-04-2012

Why not do the following for IP reductions, RP is your call.

Champion released 6300.
6 months after release drops to 4800
6 months after 4800, drops to 3150
6 months after 3150, drops to 1350

After that, leave champs at 1350 until such a time that you deem appropriate to lower to 450 IP.

As for RP costs, honestly most people wait until champs go on sale I would bet before purchasing with RP. However, since you have over 100 champs now, 3 champs per sale is really low, I would probably up the # champs per sale to 4.

Moreover, I would suggest giving all summoners the following Champions free.

Ashe (AD Carry)
Ryze (Mage)
Nunu (Jungle/Fighter)
Soraka (Support)
Master Yi (Melee DPS)

These are all 450 IP champs, none can be obtained for free (Tristana/Alistar) from promotions, and it allows players to use a very standard champion type without having to wait for free weeks or spend their IP on them.

That or maybe make new "Bundles" of champions that allow new players to purchase via IP, such as the above but instead of costing 2250 IP, it only costs like 1100.

Anyways, my two cents.

Ko Hakoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

Thanks for talking with us!

Would you mind commenting on the philosophy and outlook for champion IP price reductions? Is this going to continue? Is there a pattern to the champions selected?

Also- Any chance of a You-Pick-3 sale or bundle? I dont think it needs to be at the % of the weekly sales, but it would be nice to just lump purchase some skins (3, or whatever # is deemed financially beneficial) instead of waiting for the respective sales and buying them piece by piece.

Cuix

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Potential talking about price stuff!
Wait, really? This is happening? Riot, you may yet restore my faith after all...

*continues reading*

Alright, so nothing concrete about future plans at all. That's... typical, but somewhat understandable. The answers given so far are worrying, though. It sounds like "Well, we'll talk to you guys more often, but ultimately things aren't going to change much."

It's kinda sorta a step in the right direction, I guess?

Alpha Pawn

09-04-2012

Champions and runes recycle, where we can "sell back" stuffs we don't want.

What are your thoughts on that topic?

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

09-04-2012
7 of 26 Riot Posts

I've decided to group the questions by topic to help the discussion - here are a bunch on IP pricing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebarrage View Post
Does this mean that IP rates will be changing? Right now it takes forever to grind for that new rune page, or champion
Personally, I have never thought of LoL as a grind, even when I didn't have enough IP for every champion and rune that I wanted (which was often). I think of grinding as having to repeatedly do something un-fun in order to get to the fun part of the game. Playing LoL with friends, or even in solo queue, IS the fun part of the game - how is that a grind?

To answer your question, there are no plans to change the standard rate of IP gains. Reducing the IP cost of content either permanently or through sales should help that IP work a little harder for you though. Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDelMarr View Post
Hippalus, could you shed some light on why Riot doesn't give out global IP boosts? ..it seems like even having IP boost weekends would be an interesting idea (like an additional 10-20 IP per match).
I agree global IP boosts can be a great reward for players and can encourage more playtime. I'm exploring a couple ideas along these lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame Red View Post
will the new champion release price go down as well or are you (personally and professionally) okay with the "standard" 6300ip?
We are much more likely to reduce the price of old champions than new ones for lots of reasons, for example, it doesn't make sense to have everyone in the game trying to play the new champion that first week. Personally, I never had a problem with 6300ip champs, as I was willing to wait for the free week for most champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogaflow View Post
Are we going to be seeing a regular trend to the ip reduction of old champions like 2 champions 1 tier reduction per champion release, or anything to that effect?
I'd like to come up with a permanent policy tor IP reductions that players can rely upon, but am still gathering info to make sure we get the policy right. I'll throw some of my ideas out here to gather more input before anything is finalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serkaidemor View Post
how will LoL stand when the other MOBA games present players with a completely free hero/champion roster?
As a player I preferred playing LoL over those games for lots of reasons, despite not having access to all of the champions. Fortunately, millions feel the same way. I think having players unlock champions provides both direct benefits (eg. more skilled play) and indirect benefits (RP purchases allow Riot to spend more on making the game better), so I have no plans to try to change that model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigeInuzuka View Post
everytime you guys announce a price reduction I bang my head a bit on my desk :S all of these champs that gets reduced prices I've bought for 6300 ._. just maokai and caitlyn alone sum up to 3000 IP that I could've use for another champ T_T

I know it's a lot to ask but would there be any sort of retribution for this (I'd be really happy even with just a double IP weekend :S)? If there were some IP refund... would I receive it even if I bought these 2 champs a LONG LONG time ago?
I feel your pain there, but that is definitely a lot to ask. I can't think of many examples in the history of software or gaming where refunds were given to people who purchased a product months or years before a price reduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurindrise View Post
has the idea of spending a lot of IP on a skin like say 20k IP=975 skin ever been said?
If enough players wanted something like that, I could probably make it happen. But only if they promised not to call it a grind!

oracle elixir4

09-04-2012

Did you choose to have Shopperdinger as your avatar or were you forced to take it because you deal with the store?