Hi, I'm the new eCommerce Director

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SnowballingGirls

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pudge1cup View Post
I made a RP purchase and didn't get the extra RP. What happens?
-
- Well - I've quickly purchased 3x 50 Euro RP stacks on EU-West- got the 10600 RP for it each time (31800 RP).... so maybe some random bug for you...

General Farsight

09-04-2012

So, I have a question: Wil you guys be revising the price of runes and skins too? Maybe dropping newer skins that are only remodels like Infernal Alistar or Frostblade Irelia to be the new 540 tier while keeping the more impressive skins like sad bot amumu and tyrant swain as 975?

DrMrStark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

Hey there, Hippalus.
Are there plans to rotate champions out of the 6300 IP range as new 6300 champs are released?
Maybe even pushing 4800's down to 3150 as new champs push older champs in 4800?
As it is now, it takes about ten days of playing 2-3 games per day to unlock a 3150, which isn't bad AT ALL. However, as soon as you hit '6300' there is such a long stretch of not unlocking anything, the work gets demoralizing.
This is why I've fallen back on to purchasing 6300 IP champs when they go onto RP sales.

Anyway, I'm just curious what kinds of ideas were being thrown around with the gradual lowering of champion IP prices. You don't need to tell us anything in stone. In fact, why not share some ideas that were thrown away?

Henry Plainview

09-04-2012

I just bought Garen last week, I want my 1000 IP back roit PLS

Isochronous

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pudge1cup View Post
you're on crack if you think the people at riot make 6 figure salaries and have 6 figure bonuses
Sarcasm is hard to show while typing, its all about the bottom line, why would you make a product if you don't expect to make a ton of money off of it? Riot doesn't sit around and go, "hmm, well, what can we do to really please our customers today?" its more like, " hey guys, we made $100mil in revenue last quarter, what new features can we add to make that $200mil? Hey marketing guy, make sure you keep spewing that "Riot loves their customers and care more about them than money stuff". K Thanks.

Epsilon

09-04-2012

Will the bonus RP be applied to prepaid cards? Also, are we eligible for multiple bonuses if we redeem multiple cards?

Ramza

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

Hi Hippalus. Nice to meet you. Hope you catch this post in a sea of others, but I've had some burning questions regarding some of LoL's pricing after having played for over 3 years.

1) Champion IP reductions. This was such an amazing idea when it first came out. 3 champions reduced in tiers, 6300s cut in half, new 450s in the lineup, and a new set of three happening every few weeks over the net several months.

What happened here? They slowed to a crawl, then stopped. Then when they came back, it was a sort of insulting 2 champion reduction only from 6300 to 4800. It felt like you were just going through the motions, and after all the 6300s down to 3150s it stings. And then nothing again for months and months at a time.

The three in your first post are a prime example of this. Garen is one of the few champions who ALREADY had a reduction. While another 1350 to 450 is great, there were plenty of 1350s who hadn't seen one yet. And the other two are again, 6300 to 4800, which I guess is what we have to accept as a new stopgap on the way to 4800 to 3150, never to see the 6300 to 3150s of old. Can we at least start getting three reductions for every 3 new champions released or something regular like that?

2) Rune pages. Oh boy, rune pages. First off, some of these are critical to higher skill play. Two is just sheer craziness, even if you mainly use two. I'd say five is a decent bare minimum for reasonable coverage on most roles. But with these costing as much as a brand new champion, most people shy away from them.

Why isn't there a bulk purchase option with IP as there is with RP? I'm sure people would be more willing to drop it on there if there were getting a bigger discount. Or, my preferred idea, why not do stepping stone prices on rune pages? Make the first purchased page 450 IP, then 1350 IP, then 3150 IP, 4800 IP and the 5th and subsequent pages are 6300. This would let most people pick up 3-4 additional pages before they started feeling like a luxury.

3) Free week champions. We had 10 free week champions when we had 40 champions. We're on our way to triple that and we're still at 10 champions. A lot of champions seem to be heavily favored by the algorithm, and some champions are common to see 30+ weeks in between.

Why not bump this up more? 15 or 20 is far more reasonable to spread the options around. They aren't usable in ranked anymore so that shouldn't be an issue. And could you please lower the weight for champions that are freely available like Tristana, Alistar, etc? It's really depressing seeing a week filled with them and 450s.

4) Rentals. This is a system I think that might even be in place on other LoL servers. Why not make it so you can "rent" a champion or skin for a week for a lower price, like 10% of the normal RP cost? Or even IP cost? Make it a one time limitation (per skin or champion) so it's not abused and voila, you let people test if they want to buy something without having to swap files around.

5) Limited/legacy skins. Are all new skins going forward at holidays going to be legacy (meaning they can come back if you want)? A lot of people like myself only picked up certain skins because they were limited and we knew it was a one time deal and no one else would get a chance to have them. The championship Riven skin says "limited edition" so is this a one time only deal?

There's a lot more I can think of, but this is probably already getting too long to read. I hope you can provide some insight, particularly about the first two points. I know Riot is obviously more focused on RP (it's real money) but some of your players end up not feeling like buying RP just out of spite due to how you behave with IP prices.

EffortlessAction

09-04-2012

Hey, Hippalus, one quick questions about the RP boost you are talking about. I just bought RP points yesterday, and twice on the 1st. I believe the first was a two 20 dollar purchase for $40 while the one yesterday was a $10 purchase. Would I also be rewarded with the extra RP for these transactions, or do I miss out?

Zoram

09-04-2012

Thanks for being transparent about marketing. I have a few questions and I really hope you can answer them.

1.Why can we not secretly gift people RP, skins, champions etc? I assume its just not be done. But several times I've wanted to surprise a friend with a skin for their favorite champion as a gift or something, but I could not. So I never did it becuase if I wanted to do that I'd have to waste extra money to buy RP I already had to spend, and then it wouldn't be a cool surprise anymore.

2.Will there ever be champion IP bundles or rune bundles or rune discounts? I save up my IP incase I ever need it for a new champion or something in a pinch. So I have 20,000IP and thought it would be nice to be able to get an IP discount by buying a champion IP bundle where all the champions are a bit cheaper. Also with runes it would be cool if every week one type of rune of every color(blue red yellow) went on sale for like %25 off. I think this would really open new doors for interesting play allowing players to mess around with new rune pages more.

3.Please tell me at some point you will let us somehow aquire extra mastery pages via IP. No 10 isn't enough, I'm lazy and don't like to change the points in my masteries pages in champ select.

4.You guys should totally have a thing where everytime players buy X amount of money in RP or X amount of things with IP everyone who actively plays gets an IP boost or something. That would be cool. Just an idea. Silly... but think about it. o_O

5.Thanks for being the guy who actually comes out to talk. Also you can't fool me, I know that the chinese overlords are controlling you, even if you aren't in china, doesn't mean they aren't here in california. haha. Thanks again, you awesome-possum

DiaBahlical

09-04-2012

This caught me completely by surprise. Going to buy Maokai soon, now that he's 4800. I've had my eye on him for a while.