Hi, I'm the new eCommerce Director

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PopeDopethe420th

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Hey guys - I am the new eCommerce Director at Riot and am here to explain our pricing philosophies, decisions and policies, and to attempt to answer some of your questions. Pricing is always a controversial topic and I am prepared to take some abuse, but I also hope to have a productive dialog that is helpful to all. As a longtime (low ELO) player, I have been thrilled to learn that the commitment to players is infused into every aspect of how decisions are made at Riot, even when it is not immediately obvious from the outside looking in. I hope to give you more visibility into how that commitment impacts LoL pricing.

First, Id like to share the fundamental philosophies that will drive our pricing decisions.

1) Playing LoL should be super fun for players who dont spend money, ever. This means that players can experience a wide variety of play styles without purchasing anything, and can also be successful and reach their maximum potential from a competitive standpoint. Our data, some of which I will share in future posts, shows that we are achieving these objectives today, but this is not something that we can ever take for granted.
2) Players who support Riot by buying and spending RP should be rewarded with additional customization and be able to leverage their time more effectively. It is not cheap to support the most played game in the world, hire the best game dev talent, and release new content and functionality every week, and we are grateful to those who help us make that happen.

My priority is to make pricing decisions that support both of these philosophies making the game even more fun for all players while increasing the convenience and customization for those who support us. Those are not mutually exclusive. Riot has consistently raised the bar on both fronts and will continue to do so, and while there will always be some players who want more, my goal is to make sure we are living up to these philosophies in the eyes of the substantial majority of our players.

Now Id like to share new pricing decisions and promotions which will be implemented today:

1) IP and RP price reductions on the following champions:
  • Garen will be reduced to 450 IP and 260 RP
  • Caitlyn will be reduced to 4800 IP and 790 RP
  • Maokai will be reduced to 4800 IP and 790 RP

2) Limited time rewards for stocking up on RP:
  • Bonus RP will be doubled for the next six days (eg. $10 buys 1460 RP, up from 1380)
  • A new $100 RP option will be available in the NA store (13,000 + 2,000 bonus RP, doubled for the next six days for a total of 17,000)

These are just the first of many topics I plan to address as I settle into my new role, and like everyone at Riot, I will always be looking for ways to improve how I do my job and how I communicate with all of you. I look forward to your feedback!

- Hippalus
I like you.

Can we be friends in game?

tailsmph

09-04-2012

Can you make the next champ less than 6.3k
You wanna know something sad? There have been 30 champs released in a row that have been consistently priced at 6.3k. A majority of this playerbase has not seen a new champ that has costed less 6.3k
I hope you agree that this is a problem

SolluxAradia

09-04-2012

I'm liking you already.

lavalos

09-04-2012

So, if I bought $50 worth or RP yesterday, I just missed the bonus... this is just not fair, no double bonus RP for me... daaaaaaamn

KevinDelMarr

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame Red View Post
Welcome~!

Just a quick question here,

will the new champion release price go down as well or are you (personally and professionally) okay with the "standard" 6300ip?

I say personally because you mentioned that you are an actual player of this game and you should know from experience how hard it is to work up to that magical 6300.
I feel like they should keep new champs at 6300 IP, just because it leaves that sense of "New champ preview looks sick, now I want to save up" (I'm thinking a little too much business here, but it should stay, since it also reduces the occurrence of seeing said champ).

I'd rather see older champs with less viability get some reductions (Garen was in need of a change), especially since this gives newer players, or those with less overall playing time a little more depth.

There really needs to be more consistency with older Champ IP reductions, since 6 months is waaaaay too long with the frequency of new champ releases

Xohs

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Haha I love that that's the first question. The only overlords I answer to are sitting here in Santa Monica, CA, USA and they all care way more about the game and the players than about making money.
Well. Hippalus is pretty much the best right now.

DoozleDorf

09-04-2012

Welcome! (even though you've 'been here' a long while)

There have been a number of threads in the past (I"m sure you've seen them) that have addressed the idea that every time a new 6300 champ is released, another older champ should be reduced in price... how do you feel about this as a possibility?....

lavalos

09-04-2012

Also, one of the big pricing problems, and also that I see a lot of posts about here in the forums is:

Rune page prices is too high!!!

bearwulf

09-04-2012

i buy garen yesterday garen =(

Good Vi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

Explains why singed is suddenly the only 1350 I don't own besides Garen