Hi, I'm the new eCommerce Director

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

09-04-2012
1 of 26 Riot Posts

Hey guys - I am the new eCommerce Director at Riot and am here to explain our pricing philosophies, decisions and policies, and to attempt to answer some of your questions. Pricing is always a controversial topic and I am prepared to take some abuse, but I also hope to have a productive dialog that is helpful to all. As a longtime (low ELO) player, I have been thrilled to learn that the commitment to players is infused into every aspect of how decisions are made at Riot, even when it is not immediately obvious from the outside looking in. I hope to give you more visibility into how that commitment impacts LoL pricing.

First, I’d like to share the fundamental philosophies that will drive our pricing decisions.

1) Playing LoL should be super fun for players who don’t spend money, ever. This means that players can experience a wide variety of play styles without purchasing anything, and can also be successful and reach their maximum potential from a competitive standpoint. Our data, some of which I will share in future posts, shows that we are achieving these objectives today, but this is not something that we can ever take for granted.
2) Players who support Riot by buying and spending RP should be rewarded with additional customization and be able to leverage their time more effectively. It is not cheap to support the most played game in the world, hire the best game dev talent, and release new content and functionality every week, and we are grateful to those who help us make that happen.

My priority is to make pricing decisions that support both of these philosophies – making the game even more fun for all players while increasing the convenience and customization for those who support us. Those are not mutually exclusive. Riot has consistently raised the bar on both fronts and will continue to do so, and while there will always be some players who want more, my goal is to make sure we are living up to these philosophies in the eyes of the substantial majority of our players.

Now I’d like to share new pricing decisions and promotions which will be implemented today:

1) IP and RP price reductions on the following champions:

• Garen will be reduced to 450 IP and 260 RP
  • Caitlyn will be reduced to 4800 IP and 790 RP
  • Maokai will be reduced to 4800 IP and 790 RP

2) Limited time rewards for stocking up on RP:
  • Bonus RP will be doubled for the next six days (eg. $10 buys 1460 RP, up from 1380)
  • A new $100 RP option will be available in the NA store (13,000 + 2,000 bonus RP, doubled for the next six days for a total of 17,000)

These are just the first of many topics I plan to address as I settle into my new role, and like everyone at Riot, I will always be looking for ways to improve how I do my job and how I communicate with all of you. I look forward to your feedback!

- Hippalus

mcnick12

09-04-2012

Hi!
So you are the surrogate for the Chinese overlords?

Pheṇm

09-04-2012

second in a thread about to explode with "3150 WHERe"

TheIcyPenguin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

really glad you're starting to reduce the IP prices of old champs again. liking you already.

Claw of Time

09-04-2012

Is the next champ 12600 ip?

SirtyStan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

Hello.

Piatchi

09-04-2012

Welcome!

I have a question pertaining to Riot's philosophy; The game has been around since 2009, and since there have been a little over 100 champions released.

Will there be an end? Will Riot say "Okay, we're done releasing champions, we're going to start focusing on other areas of PvP.net, or even a new title!"

Thanks

HolyHammerStrike

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
[*]Maokai will be reduced to 4800 IP and 790 RP

- Hippalus

You sir are awesome! Seriously though welcome! Hope our relations are a good one.

Tangerine

09-04-2012

oh hello
well this now explains the ninja price reductions ^^
thanks for clearing this up

we hope to see more reductions in the future

ps. I really like you because you talk about marketing and stuff haha
communication like this really makes the community happy

Koillu

09-04-2012

Woah, will all 4800 IP champs be reduced to 790RP?