I Stop 4 v 5s. Am I right or wrong?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-29-2012

The legalistic 'summoners code' BS comments aside, here is what I see as the problem:

People expect to lose a certain number of games due to having an AFK on their team, just as they do with baddies, etc.
Also, people expect to get an equal number of 'free wins' due to it happening on the enemy team.

Because of how we are wired, most people think that an AFKer happens to THEM way more than it happens to others. i.e. They autolose more than they autowin.

So now you come along and counter their AFK, which can very well cause a loss. What youve done is cost people their free win, which affects their rating and win/loss ratio, etc. Some people really care about that kind of thing. Many are trying to improve to play higher ELO.

Therefore you are going to receive a lot of hate from your team for turning a free fast win into a possible loss.

StoneRuination

08-29-2012

Just play

DeliciousVimp

08-29-2012

I think it's fair. 4v5 wins are no better than 4v5 losses. I wouldn't report.

Veni13

08-30-2012

I, too, would report.

If you lose due to AFK's, you sure as hell have a right to win due to them. Besides, just get it over with and move on to the next game. Twiddling your thumbs for 25 minutes instead of playing, winning, reporting AFK, and moving on to the next game within 10 minutes? Waste of time, IMO.
Besides, how do you know the guy isn't going to reconnect? Most games I recall as of late with AFK's were not full-game AFK's. So even from the point of view of striving towards a fairer atmosphere, you may very well be letting your team down when you leave; the high chance of a potential reconnect alone should be reason enough for you not to ditch your team "for the greater good".

My 2 cents.

CommodoreSkippy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-31-2012

I hate a 4v5 even if I'm on the winning team. I've never sat out myself, but on the very rare occasion a teammate has, they had my respect for doing so.

Vesh

Game Designer

08-31-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

If you're doing it against the will of your team, you're still ruining the game for 4/9 people. The difference is you're a lot more likely to get reported if those 4 are your teammates.

Is it a noble goal to want to balance the game? Sure. But at the end of the day it's probably a better player experience for everyone if you end the game and people can move on to the next one.

Obviously joining a game and then AFKing is not ok regardless of whether it is SR or CS, and the both count as the same offense. AFKing is AFKing.

If you're playing with a group of friends and they are ok with you doing that - then of course it's not a problem. The question isn't whether the game is "fair" but rather if you are actively choosing to make players in the game upset and ruin their game experience (even if you think it's for a good reason)

Rekker

08-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesh View Post
If you're doing it against the will of your team, you're still ruining the game for 4/9 people.
I cannot express enough how strongly I disagree with you there Vesh. If those 4 people are sportsmanlike players, then you are not ruining the game for them. They queued up for an even match, and you are giving it to them. If they would prefer it to be a 5v4 in their favor over a 4v4, then they are the ones in the wrong as that is not even an approximation of what they signed up for.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

08-31-2012

I strongly disagree with dropping out to make a 4v5 'even'. Why? It's actually rather simple.

You're assuming that you know what makes things even, which is a bit arrogant (even if it's with good intentions). If you're the ADC and you drop out, you're losing farm. Well now it's end game, and your team doesn't have an ADC with any farm. Even if you're the same role as the enemy, it's impossible to manually even out a team, and players shouldn't be forced to make that call. What if you have an early game comp that requires five to win early? Well now instead of making your team 'even,' you just killed any chance your team had of winning....

There are plenty more reasons, but it's really summed up by 'who are you to say what is even?'

Rauron

08-31-2012

I think the biggest lesson to take from this thread is that there are many valid viewpoints with a lot of variables worth mentioning.

Sazdek

08-31-2012

Your best bet, just ask your team if they're ok with it to make the game more fair. If everyone agrees then go for it. Most cases though both teams would probably rather just end the game quickly and move on to the next one.