Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ezreal

Pre Production Champion Designer

08-28-2012
306 of 320 Riot Posts

Replies to pages 585-592.

As always feel free to check out my @RiotEzreal Twitter, as I'll always post in it whenever I post in this thread (just makes it easier to track).

Also, I'll be at PAX for the rest of this week so make sure to drop by the booth and say hi if you find yourself in Seattle!

P.S.S. I added a link to the latest post on the front page of the @Ezreal thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligulingus View Post
Hey Ezreal, I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I've never seen any Riot staff member comment on the subject, so I'd appreciate it if you could take some time to answer it directly.

What are Riot's thoughts on creating different map types with different team setups? For example, a map that involves 6v6 action, or even something like 3v3v3?
Ah, going to repost my comment about 6v6, then talk about 3v3v3.
Just to give you a history lesson on LoL, we actually started out as a 6v6 map in pre alpha. It sounded like a cool idea, every lane could have 2 champions (no jungler at the time) so no one complained about getting the solo lane. Unfortunately we encountered a major problem...teamfights were FUBAR. There were too many particles going on, too many moving characters, and most of all...too much damage. Players simply died before being able to do anything. Imagine adding one more AoE ultimate to that AoE Ult meta, it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

3v3v3 is a pretty dang interesting map mode, and actually a game type that I played a lot of back in my WC3 days. Often times these games lead to really interesting fights where you have to trade off offense and defense, or perhaps you can ally vs the stronger foe and take down Goliath! Unfortunately there were also a ton of problems. Oftentimes you would simply pick on the weakest group and pound them into the ground (NOT FUN). Other times you would be doing everything right, but the other teams were more political and allied against you just because (politics is not league of legends).

Though lately I have been thinking about 3v3v3 where the third team is actually computer controlled. This removes the political atmosphere, and removes the picking on the weak player (the bots don't mind if they're getting pounded on). Might be an interesting idea for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikuMelody View Post
@ Ezreal
I know you've probably been asked this a lot,
But is Priscilla the spider queen ever gonna be un-cancelled?
i had to ask because i really want her in this game, i've been obsessed with her for the past few days. like really obsessed O.O, i can't take my mind off of her. It sounds crazy i know, but i just really want her soooo much...
Same answer as always, if the players demand it then we will make it! Do you think the players want it enough yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus Crawler View Post
Hey Ezreal,

Just wondering about this since it's been bugging me personally for a while. How come in some cases for example: Shen, Cho'gath, and even Gragas (yes he's more of a caster but he's still melee) don't recieve the scaling MR per level that 99% of the other Melee champions recieve? It seems a bit strange to me that 2 tanks, and a tanky caster have less innate survivability than glass cannon melee's like Master Yi.

Also as another odd point, Nidalee who is a combination Melee/Range champion has a higher natural scaling MR then them.

Edit: Rammus can also be included on the list, he has 30 base MR with no natural scaling outside of Defensive Ball Curl.
We decided that we want to give all melee characters the MR per level buff. However, rather than buffing characters who did not need to be buffed (I'm looking at you Shen!), we opted to do it over time. So to answer your question, we will be giving them MR per level at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirneG View Post
1) Can we expect a "Zaun version" Pulsefire skin?

2) Dont you think Blitzcrank and Viktor should have some kind of interation now that they know they are creation and creator?

3) Are there plans for something major like Kalamanda again in the near future or at least editions of Journal of Justice coming out faster? You know we love to ask things to our favorite champions.
1) Awesome idea!
2) I could see a story being created between the two of them. Though I would kind of expect that Blitzcrank is not pleased the an evil mastermind is his creator.
3) I am afraid it will likely slow down since we don't have a dedicated source of side lore in our game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakez6 View Post
Ezreal i really like you work but dont u think we need a new assasin champ. I mean the last one was ahri and from then we had 2 bruisers 2 mages 2 range ad carry's 2 tanks a support and a malee ad carry.
Hopefully Rengar slated that thirst, and if not we have another...REALLY AWESOME...assassin coming out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporai View Post
Is this "guy with lightning hammer/gun" the stance swapper that you mentioned back then?
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damie904 View Post
Can you tell us anything abot the Heim rework, Stealth rework, and Yorick rework?

I remember you said you found something for Heim and the particles just needed to be done. And Morello said Stealth was like 90% done before if all went as planned.
I can tell you that Heimer will become one of my mains once we get enough resources to update his particles! I can also say that the number of rockets that he shoots now will be put to shame...TO SHAME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashxu View Post
What's the longest time a champion has been in development for? I mean from concept/idea to release and who was it?
One of our upcoming characters has been in development for years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnitaco View Post
Did you design Ezreal? Or was he made for you like a christmas present or something?
Ah, I was definitely the designer of Ezreal, as well as about a third of our other champs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife View Post
I remember seeing something on lol wiki about a zaunite official champion, dr. prigss i think. or something like this. Can you please shed some light? thank you
Never heard of him...ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentlemane View Post
Hey Ez, quick question: Why Avarice Blade isn't made out of a Long Sword instead of the Brawler's Gloves? I mean, it IS a long sword with a golden aura, plus it's supposed to be the AD version of the Amplifying Tome (who becomes the Kage's Lucky Pick, an AP gp/5 item).

Dunno, just makes more sense to me this way, that's all.
Heh, poor art choice. I would love to see them changed to Avarice Gauntlets with updated art. Though honestly it's not that big of a deal, we have plenty of items that have really weird components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishamonBurning View Post
As a player who likes to play tanks and bruisers, I've always loved jumping into a fight and soaking up a lot of damage. But there aren't honestly a lot of interesting "true tanks" in the game for me to play around with, and considering how a skilled team can and will completely ignore a tank in a teamfight, I started to think of ways to force consideration of the tank in skirmishes, besides just building damage or AP burst.

What if a champion's ult allowed him to temporarily become a slowly-moving wall that absorbs skillshots and soaks up partial AoE damage? I don't know about the rest of his kit, but give him some tools for positioning and he has the potential to change skirmishes and teamfights.
We have tried a couple of different versions of this ultimate. One had him become a wall and walk forward, knocking everyone he encountered back. Another had him become a giant rock, and he could throw himself around the battlefield repeatedly. In the end none of them really stuck on our kits, though that doesn't mean that we try them again in the future. They were pretty dang cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retarded Soldier View Post
How manny champs have u designed and/or designing right now??
I have directly implemented around a third of them, and have probably concepted abilities for another third of our champs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc202 View Post
Hey, Ezreal, saw someone asking about looking in the character forums and Was going to ask Riot the same question. What exactly would the point be of having a Champion/Character Concept Forum if the ideas are comepletly useless for Riot to use due to Legal Issues as you mentioned. I am only curious behind this because I have seen some Ideas besides my own that could be viable and somewhat decent ideas. I mean I would put something on there to waver the right to demand anything I am just curious on why Riot doesnt peak and dicuss it. I mean there alot of serious Champion Conceptors who make a ton of Concepts in hopes to maybe see it one day. I sadly only have one. But I am focusing on her... I was just curious on why would Riot put that kind of Forum there if it is not viable for Riot to use....
Because it is a lot of fun to ideate with friends and figure out how to make things awesome. I used to go on forums and create character concepts. It was actually a key skill that I picked up and used when I became a designer. I would never look down on it, heck, I would highly suggest anyone who wants to become a designer take a try at making a character that the forums approve of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanSnow View Post
Thanks very much for doing this Ezrael.

I was hoping for an update on Sejuani. I want to like her, but it's impossible to get past that early weak game, and lack of anything approaching inherent tankiness for a champion that's supposed to be a tank.
She is getting looked at currently, though no idea on when that will come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGEMAU5 View Post
Sorry Ezreal, but I need some some clarifications. You might have already answered but I can't go threw 300+ posts over 500 pages. I am sincerely sorry for my laziness, but can you answer this simple little question: Are you actually making an "Elemental Hydra Champion" as stated on the LoL Wiki? If not, can you please ask them to take that false information off their site? It's giving me false hopes.

Thank You very much
ORANGEMAU5

Edit: Some love for the guy on top ^^^ Sejuani feedback would be nice since recklessabandon doesnt do much updates on the Sejuani thread
I think I made a post about this earlier in this thread or the last one.

Dynoglory

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2012

What are your opinions on skin-themes? For example, good ones right now are the commando skins, the doctor-ninjas, the pentakill band, and so on. But only one theme has five characters (hi commando), and I really like the idea of having a whole team with similarly themed skins. I know part of your reasoning is that when people buy one skin of a theme, they feel like they already have the feel of the skin, and (for example) they won't buy Spooky Gangplank if they already own Spectral Fiddlesticks. But surely the idea of having a whole team of these ghosts would be pretty cool, right? Another reason I've thought of is that the characters would all look the same, perhaps. You wouldn't be able to discern a Gangplank from a Fiddlesticks. But don't you think that even if the models are only slightly different, their animations and particles would keep them looking the same? I personally like the idea of themes in skins, and I want to hear Riot's side of it.

hartar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2012

Ezreal i really want to know one thing:
How much long we gonna need to wait for Soraka remodel?

UNKNOWN BOSS

08-28-2012

Ezreal,

What are your opinions on LeBlanc's current standpoint in the game and what are some things that Riot are looking into changing or tweaking with her kit. PS. IS there going to be a remake to her or is she just not really in need of one ( need right now or coming soon).

Asif25

08-28-2012

I know this is a weird time to ask and u guys have not revealed it to the public yet but is the map for the gamemode supremacy another 5v5 oh and will it be a completely different map (as in there's nothing related to the maps we currently have I know lanes for sure will be there but anything else other than that could be different like meta style) .

Edit: if you don't feel comfortable to answer u don't have too. (all we summoners know bout it is dat it's a gamemode dat involves the word supremacy).

Genocide

08-28-2012

Serious question about detached cones - I hate these things. Most people I know hate these things. While they're not bad for people who don't use smartcast, they litteraly take the "smart" out of "smartcast".

Is there any plans to either make them attached or at least have an option to which kind of cones you would like?

This is a large reason I can't stand playing Annie or Cho Gath.

Ezreal

Pre Production Champion Designer

08-28-2012
307 of 320 Riot Posts

Replies to pages 593-600.

As always feel free to check out my @RiotEzreal Twitter, as I'll always post in it whenever I post in this thread (just makes it easier to track).

Also, I'll be at PAX for the rest of this week so make sure to drop by the booth and say hi if you find yourself in Seattle!

P.S.S. I added a link to the latest post on the front page of the @Ezreal thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwister View Post
Ezreal, Thanks for designing my favorite champ, Ezreal! Now I had a question regarding Moonflair Spellbade, is there any plan to make it a t3 item at all? Id like to see it given the same treatment hexdrinker did with its upgrade to maw of malmortis. Id just like to see another tenacity option in the game and possibly give it more ap or some other stat that it does not feel like a waste of an item slot?
I would personally love to see some of the tenacity items get an upgrade path to tier 3. I'll pass on our request to the Live team. So here's hoping that someone will come out of this eventually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictLand View Post
Please tell me we you guys will release more Shadow Isles or Void champions this year. (Besides the current Void champion you guys keep mentioning.)

They both currently only have 4 champions each and are my favorite champions.
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Isles
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/The_Void

It's rather disappointing you guys seem to stay away from these kind of champions, but focus more on humanoid champions as of lately. Zyra, Jayce, Draven, Darien, and Varus are human like and have no features that are unique. You know what might be cool from the Shadow Isles? An Undead AD Carry or Jungler.
We absolutely love the Void, and to a slightly lesser extent the Shadow Isles. So the likelihood that more Void and SI characters will come out in the future is high. In fact, I would say that the time of humans with 'no features' is pretty much over. The line up for the rest of the year blows away everything we have done so far =-D! I'll put my Ezreal seal of approval on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsOfGrandeur View Post
Ezreal, not a LoL-related question technically, just something I thought I'd throw out there.

Have you thought about making an @Ezreal #2 thread?

Obviously, 300+ Riot Posts is impossibly hard to read through.
Wouldn't it be easier on all players and yourself if you locked a thread every 50~100 posts, create a new thread, post a link to the new thread in your last post in the old one, and have links to the old threads in the new thread(s)'s first posts?

I think your thread is a valuable resource, but all that gets lost when people see 300 posts and say to themselves: "I don't care what I could learn, I'm not reading through all that."
Yea, that is probably a better idea honestly. Just know that this already takes a lot of work on my part and I try to drop by and throw in a few hours whenever I can. It definitely isn't part of my job so I do my best at making it as good as it is. In fact, after this I will be adding a 'recent posts' addendum to the first post so you can always get to the most recent responses (rather than scouring for the latest red post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmoone1 View Post
Any hint to there being a Whip or boxing type champion?
Maybe one, maybe both...Honestly we are probably working on most peoples / themes that we have not hit yet. Throw a dart with a random weapon and chances are we are trying to figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naInoS View Post
Ezreal, are we going to possibly see a new Jarvan IV ultimate? His ult is used for locking them in, but the fact that players can flash out defeats the purpose.
Not likely, I still personally love that ultimate. Though it would be nice if we made it such that they actually counted as terrain, and prevented flashing while inside of the cataclysm. I'll pass it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeQuickOrBeDead View Post
@Ezreal

I'm thinking about getting into Game Design although I'm still in highschool (Senior). Do you have any tips as to what I can do to get my career started?
I have made a dozen responses to this inside of @Ezreal, use some GoogleFu to find it. If not I'll give you a quick breakdown:
* Start modding, I suggest StarEdit or WarEdit (SC2 and WC3).
* Start playing games and taking notes about what is fun and what is not fun.
* Start watching 'Extra Credits' on Penny Arcade. SERIOUSLY, start off on the one about how to work in the games industry and what a designer is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogogogogs View Post
@Ezreal
hello, I just really want to know if you are currently working on any kind of sand based Mage, a bit like Gaara from Naruto, because I think this is an awesome idea
Sand magic has always had a soft place in my heart. Sand Tsunamis, quicksand, sand worms, sand storms, all of these are perfect ways to make a mage. I'll let you figure out if we think we would want to make a character out of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasersniped View Post
I saw a post about yordles being communal creatures and wanted to ask if there was any secret/hidden passive with yordles like there is with ninjas. Also i think it would be really cool if there was a game-type where each character got a buff/debuff for being on a team with champions they naturally work/live with. Like playing against an all frelijord team made the opposition lose 1ms or an all piltover team gained 1% extra exp
I don't believe there are any yordle specific hidden passives (but then again I didn't know about the sunglasses passive for months).

This is a solid idea that we will look more into after we fill up our champion line up a bit more. There is no sense in giving benefits to large rosters like Demacia when you can barely fill out a Bilgewater team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentlemane View Post
Don't you think Xerath would be way better if his W switched places with his R? Most of the time I feel lacking some burst to really deal damage to my enemies when the ultimate is in cooldown, let alone be limited to measly autto-attacks when I have deployed all my skills. I rather have more options to repeat my damage rather than try to give one big shot

Also, since he telegraphs pretty much anything he does (save for E who doesnt have a good cooldown anyway) I think he would be way better with a nuke on his W instead of a Siege Tank-like stance (kinda like Katarina's killer instincts).
I think that is one of the many positive changes that we could implement on Xerath to make him into a better character. I believe we will start looking into Xerath by the end of the year (please don't hold me to that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzShy View Post
With all this talk of 0 cs being a problem for supports, have you ever thought about making say a mastery to try and remedy this? For example, you could make it so that whenever a nearby champion kills a minion, you are rewarded about 5 gold or so. This way, it encourages the support to let the AD Carry get farm as it in the end give your team as a whole more gold, it helps fix the support player's lack of gold, and its also not something youd want in any other role as youd rather just pick up the farm yourself more more money.
That exact passive was brought up recently as an option to avoid the 0 CS meta. Though I can't quite remember why we opted not to do it. Let me look into this again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettapod View Post
What's your favorite color?
Blue...gogo counterspells!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarnyroth View Post
Ezreal,
Any chance of getting a change to Ezreal's E so that it prioritizes champions?
AP Ez is a my best and favorite mid, but I know that if I don't hit my opponent with E, I will probably lose the exchange. There are plenty of other abilities that have this, so I don't understand why he doesn't have it.
I doubt it'd suddenly make him OP or fotm.
We avoided doing this a few months ago because we believed that Ezreal was still very viable without major buffs like this. Now he is looked at as one of the three most powerful AD carries. Unfortunately that means he will likely not receive any major buffs until he is brought more in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddish33 View Post
Hey, I just wanted to know what your thoughts on Cait are. Right now, she seems currently outclassed a little bit so I just wanted to know if there were any little buffs or something headed her way.
We want to pull the three most powerful AD carries down a notch and recheck where all the AD carries are. If Cait is till underpowered then we will likely take a look at how to improve her again (along with Sivir).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEOW1337KITTEH View Post
Hey, what do you think about items that heal mana instead of health based on damage done? This would be able to benefit mana heavy champions who are constantly running out of mana, such as master yi, teemo, and a large amount of mids. I think that lifesteal and spellvamp are helpful for bulkier champions, but for ones like heimerdinger and veigar, the mana boost may prove to be more worthwhile.
We already have plenty of items that incentivize mana and mana regen. Flat mana has Tear, Archangel's, and Manamune. Regen has Chalice, Morello's, and Unholy Grail. Most of these items would be able to help out AP champions, and even Manamune has a place on a mana hungry AD champion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centuros View Post
Speaking of Sub-Optimal Ability Usage, isn't that basically the entire design behind Lulu's kit? Two of her abilities can be used on either enemies or allies, with radically different effects. How am I supposed to know if damaging an opponent so they die faster is better than shielding an ally so they die slower?

This also causes the problem that if you want one mode of a spell, and two champions are locked in melee combat, it is VERY easy to misclick and get the wrong mode. This is worst when you want to disable your foe, but end up giving a speed boost and AP to an AD-scaling character who is plenty fast on his own...
Lulu's kit is based on choice, in fact, the majority of her power comes from the ability to use whatever tool best fits the given situation. So I would not say that she encounters sub-optimal ability usage. Additionally, her polymorph ability is pretty fantastic regardless of character type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashxu View Post
Do you guys take inspiration from anime when creating champions? You have champions with obvious inspiration like Ezreal and after watching the LoL Retrospective video, I noticed some of you guys have anime figurines at the office (someone has Canti from FLCL and I think IronStylus has a bunch of Gundams around his desk)

My memory is hazy but I think I remember somewhere that either Diana or Leona took inspiration from an anime called Claymore.
We take inspiration from all forms of media that we encounter. Personally I have seen plenty of animes, so that has yielded a lot of inspiration over the years.

IS1c3a7583411656eed8386

08-28-2012

Ezreal, what's your opinion on Akali?

She's a squishy melee that needs to jump to the enemy team's back line, and her only way of surviving is countered by an item that every team always has (oracle's).

Do you think it would be unreasonable to make oracle's only reveal wards now that Evelynn and Twitch have been remade? Akali would probably need a few nerfs to compensate, but no other champion that would be too strong because of it comes to mind. Stealth basically does nothing in late game team fights right now.

Sineile

08-28-2012

Heya Ezreal, thanks for taking time out to answer all these questions!

A few of my own:
1) Is there going to be a serious mastery rework for the start of season three?
2) Are there changes in the works for Flash in the next season? Does Riot have any issues with that spell being mandatory on the majority of champions?
3) Is there support planned for Proving Grounds, such as Matchmaking? Obviously there wouldn't be ranked because of the random element, but what about the ability to be matched without having to go through custom games with hosts and the like? I know a great number of people get frustrated with the number of times a game has to begin when someone dodges, what about adding a leave timer for custom games?
4) Has there ever been consideration of adding one time use items that mimic summoner spells? Maybe a 3 charge item that mimics CV (Since it has fallen out of favor with supports), or a one time use "Teleport" that only lets you go to your tower?

Thanks again for your time!

Dark Suigintou

08-28-2012

Awesome Ezreal, you asking questions again!

Around the same time last year, Akali was FOTM. She was pretty much borderline viable with her not being nerfed for 1 year, and with prenerf gunblade, but now with the nerfs in place, she went from being considered viable top to pretty much a situational counterpick.

I must say even before prenerf Akali and gunblade, she was still a situational pick at best. With these nerfs, she struggles more in an already niche role. Do you have any solutions to give back her power (in a less toxic/pubstomping way). Or simply put, make her more of a 'normal champion' instead of snowballing champ?

Most of it is due to the fact that Akali doesn't get a gap closer ability pre-level 6, while all other melees can choose to, if they put one point into it. Making twilight shroud less toxic would also help to compensate other areas.

Even Westrice, the NA Akali player, flat-out refuses to play Akali in ranked now. Really risky to lose elo at that range.