Just Started Playing Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pheṇm

08-24-2012

The difference between you and the rest of the population, is with the "Riot" tag in front of your name, nobody is going to argue with you for fear of being banned. They'll usually be happy enough to be playing with a Rioter in their game. Play on an unknown account, and enjoy the Ranked queue that we all get to play.

motumbo guardian

08-24-2012

this thread only looks SUPER BORING

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

Follow Xin it to Win It on Twitter

08-26-2012
27 of 123 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMelchorI View Post
forgive me, but as a community manager shouldnt playing ranked games from time to time be part of your job, to see how it actually feels to be matched with a lot of different character types of players and that you get a personal glimpse, how player behaviour looks like in real matches?

or is your job only focused on the forums?
It is an important part of my job to understand the experience of being a League of Legends player, that's why I am playing ranked. On my own, I am a casual gamer (that happens once you have kid I think), who tends to play socially with friends. I probably would not be working so hard to improve my skills at ranked play if I did not believe it was critical to my job to understand the experience first hand.

My job is not mainly focused on the forums, but they are a great place to interact directly with other players. As has been brought up a number of times, you do get treated differently when you play with Riot in your name, but it is certainly not always positive. Just look at this thread, not everyone in here is supportive or positive.

Burnie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBazner View Post
157 wins in normal games.
You didn't wait that long, lol. 420 wins for me and I haven't TOUCHED ranked.

The Xiuhcoatl

08-26-2012

Dat cait build....

FraggingBard

08-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipsy View Post
'sad realisation that probability sucks'
Is that 66%?

So long as you fail all of yours then it works out the same. :P Probability is a funny thing that sometimes seems a mite rigged, but it evens out. Don't think of chance as "This it what should happen to me", but "This is what should happen overall". You can try a 99% objective and fail 100 times, but so long as someone else gets theirs then it's a 99% chance.

FraggingBard

08-26-2012

I used to think people were generally nice, considerate and would be prepared to listen to a polite suggestion. "Hey Caitlyn, the other team has 4HP stackers, a Madreds would go a long way towards maxing your damage" can help in some games. Unfortunately the response I usually receive is "stfu fking noob, smd". No matter how nice you are, some games just come down to muting most of your team and doing your best to solo carry. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, rune pages help a lot though.

If I am doing the whole Benevolent Supreme Leader thing then I prefer to do so in lower levels where I can influence players before they become as jaded as the rest of us. Once it hits lvl30 with 400 wins then playstyle and perspective has become a habit and most players seem very sure of themselves and less likely or able to change how they play. Think of it like telling a locked camera player to try unlocking. If they can learn map awareness and item countering early on then it becomes a lot easier later.

Smellybluesocks

08-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnionThief View Post
Good thing this approach works flawlessly for those of us who do not have Riot in our names. Even barring that, as others have pointed out, people just get their knickers in a knot any time you try to offer constructive help. Or they fight with each other and ignore you.

Face it, the in game ranked community is especially bull**** and there is only an off chance that being helpful/informative/positive will actually work. It's ego-fueled nonsense where people are too stubborn to accept any advice, and sometimes fly off the handle for the smallest, normally inconsequential things. Your annecdotal evidence for "if you just try to be nice in ranked everyone will be ****t*ng rainbows" is exactly that; an anecdote, a single case/circumstances that are difficult to replicate.

I'm putting it bluntly so you don't miss the point. And my observations are based on literally over 1000 ranked games during the course of season 1 and 2. I know this post will get ignored because it's a hard statement of fact more than anything, but I'd challenge you or any Rioter to come up with a sound rebuttal.
Hey bazner. I saw this thread a while ago back when it originated and thought "that's cool... I guess." but I kinda felt along the lines of this guy.

I'm just here to say, 9 wins in a row using nothing but support (and i'm 10/11 solo q ranked support games), my tenth win being broken. (our ahri getting caught lvl 1 and our sona running in about 20 seconds later to give ashe a doublekill, which snowballed badly). But also I was playing jungle, a role i'm uncomfortable with and did very poorly at, but my team very nearly won with my ushering them on and didn't give me too much grief for my poor play.

This documents my 9 win jump from 1400 ELO to 1506, using nothing but supports, and my egging on of teammates. We faced down a 7-0 kass and in another game had an 0-5 GP who thanked me after game for not ragging on him for doing poorly (edit and encouraging him/keeping team from raging at him). was losing another but I made a good call for an 18 or 19 minute baron which they subsequently tried to engage 4v5 (and lost badly) on, getting a baron also.

http://tinypic.com/r/1zbea1e/6

I realize annie is in this. I play her as an aggressive support with low cs and gp10 items.

Happy to have proven that you don't need a riot tag to help lead your team away from defeat. Turns out, if you're not a ****, your team can win games.

Wish you luck in ranked bazner. I'll seek you out for my 1000 win. it's coming up soon-ish.

Edit: I do have interspersed games of normals/5s ranked which is why i can't just screenshot my whole thing and had to peice it together in paint. but these are all in-a-row solo queue matches.

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

Follow Xin it to Win It on Twitter

08-26-2012
28 of 123 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebarrage View Post
Dat cait build....
Sometimes I get flustered and the wheels just come off. It's like I can't even remember my name.

rabidzombie2015

08-26-2012

Agreed, bump!