It shows....

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vesh

Game Designer

08-24-2012
2 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkhill View Post
heres a marketing lesson for you. theres a term called visibility. its the ability for your target audience to know that you actually exist. your target audience is the dominion community outside and inside of the dominion forum. if you dont have visibility, all your efforts in fixing whatever problem you may have, while all great and awesome, dont work if people dont know about it. lurking is fine for regular members. we cant have eveyone making threads all the time. it would turn to chaos (see general discussion whenever something big happens and everyone feels the need to make their own thread about it). but we need you guys to actually post instead of lurk

while lurking is understandable (infeed/nekrogen/sauron do indeed give great advice very often), it does not mean u can ignore the threads. im sure you have ideas/opinions too. i cannot possibly believe that you have agreed with infeed/nekrogen/sauron 100% of the time. you have to realize, the main complain the dominion community has (imo of course) is that riot doesnt even look at our forums. while its great to find out that you guys lurk here, you need to be aware that a key part of your job should be in establishing visibility.

visibility is key in having the community actually trust that you're doing something. i can almost guarantee you that 75% of morello's posts are offtopic humor or a very fancy way of saying "soon". and yet, people still have faith that eventually things will get done. it may take a year (stealth nerf) but eventually it gets done and thats ok. the important part is that we have proof that riot actually looks at the threads and ideas we make/put forth.

for example, i regularly see posts like:
  • I'll look into this
  • good idea, i'll ask around the office if its possible
  • soon (tm)
  • fun posts about lore (ironstylus does this a lot)
  • this idea isnt possible due to XXX technical issues but in the future you never know
  • we're looking on ways to improve XXX. post questions/ideas here (statikk does this a lot)
  • what are your thoughts on XXX. post here with stuffs (statikk)
  • hey, we still exist. here's a post in a randoim thread to prove it

the majority of these really dont offer a lot in terms of content, but they all show one key thing, visibility. it shows that you still exist. while id love to say that we can have faith in the riot community to lurk and still listen to our ideas/read our threads, at this point in the dominion history, i simply cannot do that. you need to show us that you exist.

you can say that you exist and that u read the threads and that you have all these wonderful things planned but at the end of the day, if we dont know that, ur going to have a mass exodus and the one community thats still keeping dominion alive will leave.

you wouldnt believe the amount of trust and faith people have in anyone that actually posts in this forum more than once in a blue moon. look at riotnome. when he first came here, he posted fairly often. almost overnight, people knew who he was,what he did, and they liked him for it. rickless had almost the same thing happen to him. it seems like every rioter that plays dominion prefers to lurk instead of post.

I don't believe in posting something if it adds no real value. I made that mistake a bunch my first few weeks with Riot (not sure if you remember the whole Vesh pls nonsense).

Instead, I am actively playing with the dominion community every day, hanging out in BPB's vent when I can, and learning everything possible about the scene so that I can better bring you updates about important stuff that you WANT to hear. I would much rather bring you something awesome than give you 15 meaningless posts that just say "oh cool."

In the meantime, I'm not just "lurking" the boards. I'm playing games, following the dominatedominion channel, and having conversations with some of the more knowledgeable dominion players about what we can do for the dominon community.

The Fizznity

08-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesh View Post
I don't believe in posting something if it adds no real value. I made that mistake a bunch my first few weeks with Riot (not sure if you remember the whole Vesh pls nonsense).

Instead, I am actively playing with the dominion community every day, hanging out in BPB's vent when I can, and learning everything possible about the scene so that I can better bring you updates about important stuff that you WANT to hear. I would much rather bring you something awesome than give you 15 meaningless posts that just say "oh cool."

In the meantime, I'm not just "lurking" the boards. I'm playing games, following the dominatedominion channel, and having conversations with some of the more knowledgeable dominion players about what we can do for the dominon community.
...But we're telling you id does add value...

NamKim

08-24-2012

Quote:

I remember that Vesh pls thing. Didn't that make you one of the most popular and most liked Rioter around? I remember telling myself "I don't even know who this Vesh guy other than I'm suppose to like him."

But allow me to defuse the situation a little and let me ask when Ququroon, RiotVespe, and yourself will be entering into a Dominate Dominion tournament? I wish to see the Great Vesh in action without having to wait 900+ more wins...

HaIfhearted

08-24-2012

Yeah, having "Team Riot" compete in the weekly DD tourney would be freaking amazing.

Would certainly bolster morale, and all 5 Rioters in the team would gain instant Dom celebrity status even if we'd never heard their names before.

Plus, I'm sure you guys would have a boat-load of fun.

larkhill

08-24-2012

Quote:
this is a difference of opinion i guess. personally, i prefer morello's 80-20 style of posts (80% of the actual useful information comes from 20% of his posts. the rest are off-topic or humorous posts that show his personality).

i do remember the vesh pls nonsense. i also remember the morello mods are asleep mlp thread, as well as his my horse is amazing thread which put him in a bit of hot water when he forgot to put a nsfw tag on it. were those threads/posts useful information? of course not. but they showed his personality. we get to see rioters having fun and being themselves, something the dom community rioters lack

you can still post a lot of useful information very rarely (as you guys do now) but dont forget to post some fun stuff every once in a while too just to show you exist.

Quote:
this is probably my marketing side talking but i think you underestimate the "oh cool" factor of just posting every couple days just to say, "hey, we still exist and we read this stuff". currently, we dont get changes done or posts. its fine if u spend all your time actually working on stuff instead of reading the forums but if we arent getting even simple changes like dodge penalty done, what do we have to look forward to?

as FDRu mentioned, we cant really trust you guys do get dominion changes done because we havent seen you. we have almost no faith in you guys anymore. when i look for something to say, "hey, dont lose hope, they're still trying", what do i have to show people that its actually true? we dont get you guys posting saying things are actually happening, and we dont get posts saying WHY they didnt happen. and when we ask these questions in general (where the majority of people actually go), our threads get moved to this forum either by the automatic system or by rioters themselves admitting to moving them (give tamat a thank you for that lovely post...), where the cycle starts again.

im REALLY surprised that someone with the title of "community assistant" doesnt actually post on the forums more often that once in a blue moon and even then, the majority of threads rioters post in about dominion is on threads asking why they dont post (like this thread). sometimes i wish the marketing staff did an AMA where i could ask them their stance on dominion visibility. they do such a great job on summoners rift that im shocked it doesnt transfer to us.

Sauron

08-24-2012

Quote:
Usually by the time I see the "I need advice for X" threads, Nekrogen, Infeed, or Sauron have already posted their advice which will definitely be better than mine.
Vesh pls.

Phourc

08-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamKim View Post
Correction. Phreak builds Trinity Force on SR.
Phreak builds Deathcap on CS.

Why haven't I made the connection before this!?
It all makes sense now!

Vesh

Game Designer

08-24-2012
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamKim View Post
I remember that Vesh pls thing. Didn't that make you one of the most popular and most liked Rioter around? I remember telling myself "I don't even know who this Vesh guy other than I'm suppose to like him."

But allow me to defuse the situation a little and let me ask when Ququroon, RiotVespe, and yourself will be entering into a Dominate Dominion tournament? I wish to see the Great Vesh in action without having to wait 900+ more wins...

It did, but it also added to the sentiment that Rioters don't talk about important things on the forums.

Also it should be noted that I'm still new to the dominion scene, and even though I consider myself a good player, I still don't feel like I can actively contribute to the conversation in a constructive manner.

Regardless, I will continue to post more so that you guys are always aware that I'm actually around and watching these boards!

Luninareph

08-24-2012

Quote:
I believe we're up around the 1900-2000 range atm, and I'm personally trying to understand the dominion community better so that we can do more for you ^_^
This is very reassuring to hear. Thank you, Vesh

VeggieDealer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-24-2012

People still play dominion?