Riot will NEVER respond to any thread of importance (and here's why)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mok

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchomp101 View Post
On a whole, I think Riot has done a good job from becoming another Blizzard or EA company. Riot offers LoL for free. There aren't very many companies that release their games for free. This means that players won't have to purchase something beforehand to actually play it. It also means that Riot values player experience over company profit, something that is quite rare to see. Riot makes profit through player donations, such as purchasing skins, RP, IP/XP boosts, and so forth. Players are not obligated to spend money on this game. This is what makes it fantastic! It offers new players an opportunity to try, casual players an incentive to play, and professional players a competitive reward. It not like WoW or SC2 where everyone is forced to pay in order to play.

What really hurts is the community taking this game for granted. The game already comes with really excellent standards and great features for players to enjoy and have fun. It offers weekly free champions for starting players. It has very many customizations such as runes, masteries, items, and so forth. It's built to allow players to explore their options and see what works for them and what doesn't work. The problem is that the player-based community punishes players who don't play a champion as great as they do. For instance, I introduced a friend to LoL a few weeks ago. We got through the two tutorials and some beginner vs. AI bots. It was really fun for him and he had a great time. Once we started playing normals, other players would bash at him for dying too much, or not playing his champion properly, and so forth. He gets reported for feeding, trolling, and assisting the other team when in reality, he's trying to figure out how to get better. He's so afraid of playing normal games that AI bots are the only thing he plays. Even there, he sometimes get bashed by other players.

I just think that Riot has done a good job at keeping the game pleasant for everyone. It's the players that are ruining it for other players less skilled. What do you guys think?
Your outlook isn't the most appealing nor is it flawed in the way of thinking.
You are correct in thinking that in most often cases that a lot of players in a higher mind set of competitiveness makes it difficult for someone who has a lower skillset to play a game. Being judged right off the bat and being told what to do IS an annoyance by many standards but if you really want to learn something you normally as a person would never walk into a battlefield with out a guidance of any sort whether it be good or bad. it's just up to the player to decide what he can or cannot take from that advice.

The appeal in free to play games are that gamers don't have to spend a dime to have fun. however games like these also attract a breed of indifference between gamers as to whether they are willing to put the effort into something or not. majority of gamers that usually spend money in a game whether it be a one time buy or a monthly subscription are often on the spotlight of having to be more aggressive on their style of play. however, games as of the modern generation are very "meme" based. all about me, the one person everyone has to cater to. hence why WoW is such a current disappointment and failure. Blizzard has spent so much time catering to the undeserving that all those that do deserve their cake have been pretty much slapped in the face with it.

Best example is Cataclysm. It was originally offering separate PvP and PvE guilds however as the yr passes all of a sudden PvE gamers can PvP just by spending points that they earn from PvE to do PvP and get equal if not close gear to someone who has spent a vast majority of their time on PvP. that doesn't seem right.

As for SC2 it's a buy one time free to play forever, there is nothing wrong with that, it's always been like this. It's generally a single player game with a very high end competitive multiplayer system. in a sense this is likely what's going to happen to Dota2 unless they decide to go free however i don't see that happening. Dota2 might as well go pay one time and have free content. that's how it should be especially if they look to make a bit of money out of it.

Gamers in general aren't as horrible. A lot are more jaded as others have very sensitive minds. The other major problem with gamers today is the sheer fact that time. As you get older time is money. majority of players know this but only half of them really understand what old school grind really is like. sometimes how rewarding it can be. today's so called gamers market has pretty much set a standard of how games should be but no one ever remembers how games were like back then. The old Archaic ways of grind is gone and the new quick/rushed form of gaming is the new in.

I apologize but i don't like to spend 60-70$ for a game that only lasts me 6 hours total. i've seen older games PC/console that were 30$ that could last me 40+ hours of game play. it's all about moderation.

If a person plays a game with subscription fees and has no time to play. you shouldn't be playing in the first place. 12 hour shifts are the new norm in life and if you can't manage that then realistically you should settle for something else to kill an hour of your time.

LoL is great in terms of doing just that. however, LoL is also great for attracting the most amount of trolls i have realistically seen in a game. next to WoW forums and possibly Dota forums.

Riot in their own right has done good. that's a fact. people that feel like they're entitled because their fans should really think about how much abuse they're giving the company as a whole. with the whole " riot owes me" " promised rp" .. " pantheon skin" etc etc. through out the last 2 seasons. it's a wonder how none of the staff have even quit.

Morello

Lead Designer

08-23-2012
92 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaIfhearted View Post
Yo Morello, any chance you can let us know the progress on the ranked Dominion thing?
We in the Dominion community are starving for news on Dominion.

It's been almost an entire year now, and the Dominion community would like at LEAST an acknowledgement of either:
1) yes, you ARE giving us ranked
or
2) no, you are not implementing ranked Dominion

Both quotes taken from this thread.

You have already stated-as-fact that you will be shipping ranked Dominion, but if you have changed your minds can you at least let us know about it, and tell us why?

I and most of the community understand that things change. But if they do, please don't leave us in the dark about it, let us know so we don't have to keep our hopes up.

At the very least, if you can't ship ranked Dom, can you at LEAST give us a dodge penalty?

Right now there is no dodge penalty for Dominion, and as a result our draft mode is completely unplayable due to the frequent dodgers ruining queues.

EDIT: oh yeah, another thing that bugs me is how every time someone posts a Dominion thread in general discussion, it gets moved to the Dominion sub-forums, usually within an hour or 2 of getting any attention.

This just feels extremely disrespectful, seeing as how SR and other topics get to remain in GD.
Can I at least get an explanation of that policy?
Sorry - I don't comment much on this having been pulled pretty far from this. I can comment more generally though - there's a big problem here.

Simply put, we've done a really poor job in supporting our non-classic gamemodes. There's a lot of sensible reasons for this, but bottom line is we've done poorly here.

The good news is we now have an actual plan to support these maps coming soon(tm) and we can reopen the Dominion Ranked discussion as part of that.

Apologies for failing to deliver here, and we'll fix this.

Mephew

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Sorry - I don't comment much on this having been pulled pretty far from this. I can comment more generally though - there's a big problem here.

Simply put, we've done a really poor job in supporting our non-classic gamemodes. There's a lot of sensible reasons for this, but bottom line is we've done poorly here.

The good news is we now have an actual plan to support these maps coming soon(tm) and we can reopen the Dominion Ranked discussion as part of that.

Glad it is being looked at

ragingsobadly

08-23-2012

Are you guys ever going to fix smurfing? Because my friend started playing and he doesn't know what the "meta" is nor a jungler.

Phourc

08-23-2012

Quote:

Much love for this post! Been awhile since any Dominion news, really.

xBetty Whitex

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2012

Lol at the irony of 92 red posts In a post about reds not posting on important threats.

NamKim

08-23-2012

Quote:

Hey Morello,

I just wanted to let you know a few things.

First of all, I want to let you know there is a pretty active Dominion community out there, Dominate Dominion. We have our own chatroom and it is pretty active. You can catch out the info here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1399727

We would love it if you could ever drop by. Maybe play a few games with us. We understand you're busy and the upcoming Season 2 Championship is only making you busier. But, when you have time, come and visit.

The second thing is, Dominate Dominion hosts and streams Dominion tournaments on Saturdays. We would also love it if you ever turn into these matches.

I know you are probably not that involved with Dominion. But we would still love for you to become a part of the Dominion community.

Chesh Masquerade

08-23-2012

I just wanted to say that I recently started playing this game a couple months ago, and have been very impressed about a lot of the design and decision elements which are incorporated. I do statistical work for a living (higher ed researcher), so I can fully appreciate the difficulty in making decisions regarding 8 million moving parts simultaneously (is this character OP, or is it just a product of the current environment? etc.). I haven't been playing long enough to feel dissatisfied with lack of communication, and have instead been content to play the game you all have put out there. I think the decision to stick with one map at the competitive level is strong design; Morello mentioned that sports have one 'map', but an easier analogy is probably chess.

Chess has one 'map'. There are some oddball variants out there, but basically what you see is what you get. Success in the game becomes entirely about skill and less about luck, creating scenarios in which the 'best' player/team always wins. I've seen a couple of presentations by Richard Garfield and other WotC designers speaking to the nature of luck vs skill and think it's interesting to see where LoL falls in this discussion. Basically, extra maps are nice, but they aren't strictly necessary. In the context of LoL, it seems like different map design could go a long way in addressing some champion concerns. If a map is designed to feature different lane widths, angles, sightlines, creeps, minion patterns, etc. then there is the opportunity for champions who are less successful on SR to be impressive and champions who are more successful on SR to be less impactful. These maps could then be randomly chosen before the match, before draft, and change strategies. Again, I don't think this is necessary, just an option.

DG Denz Brujah

08-23-2012

So Riot is asking for players to Submit Your Questions for the Riot Developer Q&A Panel at PAX!
Here are the ones I posted please feel free to add yours on the Riot Forums and here for discussion as well.

1.) What is Riot Games, Inc, current stand on Dominion and Twisted Treeline?

2.) Will either of these game modes see enhanced support in the foreseeable future? (ie.increased dedicated staff, community coordinator, etc)

3.) It is our understanding based on past responses the Riot WILL NOT balance champions for each game mode, This would seem to be a direct contradiction to previous responses regarding the desire to balance Dominion before Ranked play is instituted. Can we get some clarification on the matter of balance issues and Ranked play.

4.) Will these modes be giving any, if not equal opportunity to be played in mainstream competitions?

5.) Both Dominion and Twisted Treeline have strong player driven communities who are actively doing their best to promote these game modes, What are Riot's plans, if any to help promote these modes as well?

6.) Communication - Communication between a company and those it serves is paramount and many companies are adopting this approach, Riot has always been one of the leaders when it came to talking to the community, listening to feedback and giving back to the SR community. But it often feels like the other game modes are neglected. There can be huge stretches lasting months long between Red posts on each game modes respective forums. What are Riot's plans, if any, to relegate this?

Rambo Rampage

08-23-2012

I guess this wasn't a thread of importance.