Lyte: Did you guys consider like, warning people before doing what you just did?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

08-22-2012
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Thanks for the well-written post Tutskii.

This wasn't an easy decision to make at all; when we first started running analyses about false reporting, we knew this was something that had never been 'punishable' in the past. However, as we dug into the data more, we realized just how toxic these players were.

These are players that were abusing our report feature and using it as a tool to bully, criticize and frustrate other players in the game. These players are trying to get others banned in the game--often just for having bad games. Many of these players already had Tribunal histories, but we felt that these acts were distinct enough that an additional punishment was warranted.

We actually do sweeps of accounts all the time and look for poor player behavior and use these sweeps to determine how the Tribunal is performing--in grave cases, we have expedited and immediately handed out bans to players who are seriously toxic and could not wait for a Tribunal case. We have to do this because although we've been upgrading the Tribunal more frequently, it's still not fast enough to have near-instant feedback loops.

The bans were harsh, I agree. But, we felt they were warranted given the level of abuse these players were involved with. I think it's important to note that we did not just target players who abused the report feature--they had to also have displayed toxic in-game behavior as well.

Lørd Abel

08-22-2012

Im still not satisfied

Thats unhealthy

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
The bans were harsh, I agree. But, we felt they were warranted given the level of abuse these players were involved with. I think it's important to note that we did not just target players who abused the report feature--they had to also have displayed toxic in-game behavior as well.
That makes me feel a lot better.

Wieners Revenge

08-22-2012

Quote:

This wasn't an easy decision to make at all; when we first started running analyses about false reporting, we knew this was something that had never been 'punishable' in the past. However, as we dug into the data more, we realized just how toxic these players were.

These are players that were abusing our report feature and using it as a tool to bully, criticize and frustrate other players in the game. These players are trying to get others banned in the game--often just for having bad games. Many of these players already had Tribunal histories, but we felt that these acts were distinct enough that an additional punishment was warranted.

We actually do sweeps of accounts all the time and look for poor player behavior and use these sweeps to determine how the Tribunal is performing--in grave cases, we have expedited and immediately handed out bans to players who are seriously toxic and could not wait for a Tribunal case. We have to do this because although we've been upgrading the Tribunal more frequently, it's still not fast enough to have near-instant feedback loops.

You can't tell me with a straight face that you didn't include ANY non-toxic players with toxic players with this VERY broad assault of suspensions. There are players who, sure, maybe reported a lot - maybe even more than they should - but did not purposely "falsely report," and did not use offensive words such as the ones you keep using as examples.

That is the problem IMO. You either don't see it, or you're ignoring it. Either way, please don't pretend like every single case was investigated individually.

The across the board one-week suspension was a knee-jerk reaction, which has resulted in the suspensions of many toxic players, but also many non-deserving players.

EDIT: HA! Downvotes! Are some of you really so naive that you believe not a SINGLE person was wrongfully suspended? Do you honestly believe that? I am at a loss for words. I guess this is the lack of logic you have to expect when you're dealing with a community of mostly people below the age of 16

CrayonPop ChoA

08-22-2012

No warning plus its a week ban ffs... Also no evidence...

ilabode

08-22-2012

Quote:

Thank you lyte and riot staff. I know that this decision wasn't necessarily the easiest to make and the repercussions have affected you (on your day off no less).

Best Reimu NA

08-22-2012

Quote:
The bans being harsh is an understatement.

You lost a customer in me.

DreamsOfGrandeur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremz View Post
No warning plus its a week ban ffs... Also no evidence...
Your behaviour is your evidence.
This isn't like real life, your behaviour is ALWAYS being monitored in-game. Get that through your head and realize that lying does you no good.

Attachment 514891

Here, Big Brother Riot is always watching.
(And I mean that is the BEST possible way)

Momento Mor

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wieners Revenge View Post
You can't tell me with a straight face that you didn't include ANY non-toxic players with toxic players with this VERY broad assault of suspensions. There are players who, sure, maybe reported a lot - maybe even more than they should - but did not purposely "falsely report," and did not use offensive words such as the ones you keep using as examples.

That is the problem IMO. You either don't see it, or you're ignoring it. Either way, please don't pretend like every single case was investigated individually.

The across the board one-week suspension was a knee-jerk reaction, which has resulted in the suspensions of many toxic players, but also many non-deserving players.
Can you source any of these claims?

jars

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magtek View Post
The bans being harsh is an understatement.

You lost a customer in me.
chances are you won't be missed