Account suspended for reporting too much? This is a new one...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Misterpigs

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
These are not Tribunal bans. We've been doing a lot of experiments and analysis with false reporters and have found that many of them are contributing to negative experiences in the games they are in--these players tend to threaten players with reports, or threaten players to play their way or be reported. For example, the OP in this case has reported hundreds of players that were not actually toxic and in the process created toxic experiences for these players. The same OP has received reports in 19% of his games resulting in hundreds of reports filed against him and has been punished multiple times by the Tribunal.

We've reviewed these players with extremely high numbers of false reporting and decided to send out a temporary timeout to these players and warn them that this behavior is unacceptable and let them know that they have been creating a negative experience for other players.

Okay and what if in 19% of his games, there were people that were reportable and never made it to Tribunal. Same can be said with a lot of people who were banned.. Maybe normal queue is just that LOLtoxic that theres enough merit to report THAT many people. Seriously, Lyte. Sometimes in normal queue, theres nothing wrong, everyone is plesent. Then other times, 5+ games in a row where theres an individual destroying the game for everybody. Often times it goes beyond just "feeding" or being a racist. Maybe they're not helping the team in anyway and that's perceived by the other 4 players as "Refusing to cooperate with team" and so, they report for it at the end.

Naliku

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

so riot decides to ban a bunch of first time "offenders" for reporting people who actually ruin gameplay?
this is probably the dumbest mistake a video company has made since bioware made that star wars mmo.

GrowlyGuts

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauzeee View Post
I have very rarely if ever threatened to report someone, but yet i get a ban for reporting players who ruin my experience by playing poorly?
Oh, your one of those.

We aren't winning so I have to report somebody, amirite?

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

08-22-2012
4 of 49 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by messymike View Post
so riots stance is... if you are getting harassed each and every game, report the players... but if you report too many bad people you get banned yourself...

also, asking players in the game to report someone who has afk'd or is going 1/30/0 isn't toxic, its asking someone to help clean the community of the real problem... doing these mass bans based on some really loose psychology is only going to worsen the problem by scaring people away from the report function, which has a safety feature to prevent any wrong doing form mass reporting...

it really sounds to me that banning people for "abuse of the “Report A Player” feature" is just a way to ban players that riot doesn't like, but that the tribunal isn't punishing
This is incorrect.

Let's be clear here: If you see a toxic player, please report them. Even if you report 10,000 of them, you will be fine. For example, I just looked at an account in this thread that has reported 200 players--his report weights are perfectly fine.

I then looked at a player that was banned in this thread and he's reported 1000+ players and 630 of them were actually decent players that did not deserve bans. In addition, the player that was banned had received hundreds of reports himself and was banned twice by the Tribunal already. I then checked some chat logs of this player and he continuously, relentlessly threatens players with reports throughout matches--this is absolutely unacceptable.

We're targeting toxic players who are abusing the report player function and creating a negative experience for those around him. For the 99% of players who use the feature responsibly, they should continue doing so and making a difference in the community.

Chaldyth the Axe

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowlyGuts View Post
Oh, your one of those.

We aren't winning so I have to report somebody, amirite?
Yes because no one but him is allowed to EVER have a bad game.

Love those peeps.

-

AtlaStar

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebi View Post
Worst thing is, this is the last week of summer.

YOU KNOW WHAT RIOT?! YOU WANT THE TROLLS AND JERKS SO MUCH?! KEEP THEM! I'm never touching that Report a Player button again. See how good your "statistics" are now. Let me know how it goes. You ban people for reporting jerks, I don't care if they're not ass-hats every game, they were during MY game... Therefore I report that idiot. The rest is for you to figure out, but you're gonna slap me with a random 7 day ban with no warning for reporting a lot of *******? Fine. Have it your way. Keep all the ******* in your game.

I use to care deeply about this game. This is the last straw, I sincerely don't care if this game dies in a month. You guys have clearly just spit in my face for trying to make this community better.

Thanks a lot Riot.
Obviously you report people too much and are a little too sensitive to be playing this game anyway

annunaki2012

08-22-2012

gj riot keep protecting the scrubs

Pregnant

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumples View Post
"these players tend to threaten players with reports, or threaten players to play their way or be reported. For example, the OP in this case has reported hundreds of players that were not actually toxic and in the process created toxic experiences for these players."

I don't understand what is so hard grasp about this. these people are reporting for NO GOOD REASON, effectively wasting the time of people that take the time to review cases and causing undue stress to players in their games that are doing nothing wrong.
False reporting and threatening are two entirely different things. If someone is threatening you to play their way or be reported for nothing, you could always report that person for having a negative attitude and not playing in conjunction with the rest of the team. Thus, the "toxic" person who threatened and ruined the experience of others would end up getting banned, not the innocent players who were threatened. This is why the Tribunal is there. Also, I'm saying a person shouldn't be banned for false reporting; I never said a person shouldn't be banned for threatening to abuse the report system to get their way. I think that a person should report whenever they find a valid reason to report someone. And like I said, that report may be subjective because of how sensitive that person may be to insults and unfriendly comments. So what you may consider a "false" report may not be a "false" report to others.

And I do acknowledge that "false" reports use up the time of the Tribunal reviewers, but is it really worth a ban? The Tribunal is there for that exact reason--to take care of the toxic players and to pardon the players who did nothing wrong.

Overall, Riot should ban people who threaten to falsely report to get their way because they're being negative and not communication with the team. They are the essence of a toxic player ruining the experience for others. But Riot should NOT ban people who have done nothing wrong in games but chose to report someone who ended up not getting banned.

Edit: TL;DR Reporting players who don't end up banned is not a toxic and should not be bannable. Threatening to report a player in order to get their way is a toxic behavior and should be banned through the Tribunal.

PrettyUnicorns

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
This is incorrect.

Let's be clear here: If you see a toxic player, please report them. Even if you report 10,000 of them, you will be fine. For example, I just looked at an account in this thread that has reported 200 players--his report weights are perfectly fine.

I then looked at a player that was banned in this thread and he's reported 1000+ players and 630 of them were actually decent players that did not deserve bans. In addition, the player that was banned had received hundreds of reports himself and was banned twice by the Tribunal already. I then checked some chat logs of this player and he continuously, relentlessly threatens players with reports throughout matches--this is absolutely unacceptable.

We're targeting toxic players who are abusing the report player function and creating a negative experience for those around him. For the 99% of players who use the feature responsibly, they should continue doing so and making a difference in the community.
Justice is served

SoNotCoo1

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIphaOmega View Post
Theres nothing against the summoner policy if u accidently falsely report someone. Sometimes i forget the person name when i am reporting and click on everybody. Maybe thats the reason i got banned.

That's just wrong, don't report someone for no reasons. It takes time for people to view your report and decides if they are wrong or not.

Besides, if you forgot their names, that means you don't even care. Then why bother, you will know who was it if they were raging, feeding or afk.