[Suggestion] Command+Q, etc needs to be usable.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

09-10-2010

The Command key on the mac is the easiest of all 3 modifier keys to press (alt,ctrl,cmd). If you spend any sort of time in Windows, you've long since mapped your cmd key to ctrl, as it allows you to switch between windows and mac without having to change your muscle memory for things like cut/copy/paste.

I really need to be able to bind cmd+e to selfcast/smartcast e. Its crippling to have to bind new keys and re-learn them.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Udyr

eCommerce Manager


Follow Udyr on Twitter

09-11-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataslave View Post
The Command key on the mac is the easiest of all 3 modifier keys to press (alt,ctrl,cmd). If you spend any sort of time in Windows, you've long since mapped your cmd key to ctrl, as it allows you to switch between windows and mac without having to change your muscle memory for things like cut/copy/paste.

I really need to be able to bind cmd+e to selfcast/smartcast e. Its crippling to have to bind new keys and re-learn them.
This is an interesting problem; I understand why you want to be able to bind the key but it can also cause some strange behavior if we set it by default.

If Apple+Q was defaulted to quit, but you could change the keybinding to where if you set self cast or smart cast to Apple + Q it would take quit away work better for you?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

09-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
This is an interesting problem; I understand why you want to be able to bind the key but it can also cause some strange behavior if we set it by default.

If Apple+Q was defaulted to quit, but you could change the keybinding to where if you set self cast or smart cast to Apple + Q it would take quit away work better for you?
That's the only real problem I can see too, but your proposed solution would definitely fix the issue for people like me, without impacting the rest of the players.

Another issue is the F1-F4 keys for targeting friendly champions. If you have a recent mac, these keys default to brightness down, brightness up, expose, dashboard. Currently these keys do nothing in fullscreen mode. You can neither access the mac defaults, nor can you use them to select champions. You're forced to press Fn+F1 to target, fairly obnoxious. In windowed mode you kind of have to leave them as is, but in fullscreen mode, override these specific keys (don't touch F7-F12 please!) and allow them to be pressed without the Fn Modifier. I know starcraft2 works like this, and its a blessing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dayn

Member

09-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataslave View Post
The Command key on the mac is the easiest of all 3 modifier keys to press (alt,ctrl,cmd). If you spend any sort of time in Windows, you've long since mapped your cmd key to ctrl, as it allows you to switch between windows and mac without having to change your muscle memory for things like cut/copy/paste.

I really need to be able to bind cmd+e to selfcast/smartcast e. Its crippling to have to bind new keys and re-learn them.
I 100% agree. I had to rebind keys (zxcv smartcast) to make smartcast useable. The defaults work best on a PC keyboard.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

atrus

Member

09-12-2010

Your best bet: http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/

For Riot to even TRY screwing around with the Command Keys is just not even approachable. You don't thwart the Apple Way(tm) in a production application. That's for you to hack up, at your own risk.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

fibonacci 618

Junior Member

09-12-2010

Why not changing your F# key back to the normal functionality?

If you go to System preferences -> Keyboard -> check "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"

The F key now behave like they do in windows and if you want to change brightness, volume, etc now you have to press Fn+F#

Takes a while to get use to press Fn to change the volume but if you use the F# keys a lot it's worth it!

fibo

EDIT:
I just had a better idea to fix all this problems.

In mac you can create custom shortcuts by application, like in:
System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Application Shortcuts
the only problem is that those shortcuts have to be linked to OSX menu items.

This is the solution, if Riot could add OSX menu items to the game (they don't have to be visible) like Smartcast or target friendly units and then use a simple script to add and update the shortcuts in the System Preferences, they can override almost all of the default functionality of the system keys (like CMD+Q and the F# keys).

Yet again I would be glad to test and help with all this but I am not a beta tester yet, still waiting for the e-mail. Maybe Riot could speed that process up?

fibo


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

09-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrus View Post
Your best bet: http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/

For Riot to even TRY screwing around with the Command Keys is just not even approachable. You don't thwart the Apple Way(tm) in a production application. That's for you to hack up, at your own risk.
If Blizzard can do it, so can Riot


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

09-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci 618 View Post
Why not changing your F# key back to the normal functionality?

If you go to System preferences -> Keyboard -> check "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"

The F key now behave like they do in windows and if you want to change brightness, volume, etc now you have to press Fn+F#

Takes a while to get use to press Fn to change the volume but if you use the F# keys a lot it's worth it!
The fact that the F1-F4 keys work fine in fullscreen SCII means its perfectly possible to implement. As little as I use F1 & F2, I do use F3, F4, F7-F12 on a regular basis, and I'm not going to relearn pressing Fn+F9, etc just for a game. I'd honestly rather just stop playing the game than deal with that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LoneThrasher

Senior Member

09-25-2010

I am having a lot of problems with this same issue. I am playing on a MacBook Pro and in order to move with out a mouse, mac players need to cmd + click. Accidently pushing cmd + q happens sometimes once or twice a match and it is really annoying. This really should not be a functional short-cut.