Creative Design AMA: Katarina, the Sinister Blade (Revised)

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-22-2012
1 of 36 Riot Posts

Greetings Summoners -

I am back from vacation (well semi-vacation) with a new and approved Katarina bio! Now with 50% more deadly and 50% less passion. This bio will be coming out soon, but I'm giving you all a sneak preview and a bonus Katarina AMA!

Before I discuss the changes, let me thank everyone who provided constructive feedback that helped us improve Kat's bio. As the writer of Katarina's original bio, it is very important to me that we capture the spirit of the Katarina we all know and love.

Enough of the mushy stuff...let's get into the changes.

We wanted to bring more depth to Katarina, but we deviated too far from the Kat you already knew and loved. That's my bad guys. We've brought back more of the deadly and ruthless assassin to this version.

We also didn't provide enough details on her mission, the consequences of her error in judgement, and her redemption. Katarina's pride still leads her astray, but now her choice should be more understandable. It is also clear that she makes up for her mistake, and more, though she deeply regrets the collateral damage that results from her error in judgement.

The story remains a new story about Katarina, so we don't go into details about her encounter with Garen, or her mission to retrieve the remains of Sion. As Kitae has stated, these are stories that deserve more than a one liner in a bio. We are investigating alternative ways of preserving this information in a player facing format. For now I would like to reassure you that these events are still an important part of Katarina's lore. Furthermore, I hope that when the time comes to tell these stories in greater detail, I will be able to assist in bringing them to you.

Without further ado, I bring you the updated bio and Katarina AMA - Round 2!

Quote:
Katarina, the Sinister Blade
Driven by an intense killer instinct, Katarina uses her talents as an assassin for the glory of Noxus, and the continued elevation of her family. While her fervor drives her to ever-greater feats, it can sometimes lead her astray.

From childhood, Katarina displayed a natural gift for combat. As the daughter of a prominent Noxian general many paths were open to her, but she rejected them all for the path of the blade. Rigorously trained by the finest assassins in Noxus, her father the best among them, it was not long before Katarina demanded her first assignment. The task they gave her was aggravatingly simple: assassinate a low-ranking Demacian officer. As she set to her work infiltrating the enemy camp, Katarina discovered an opportunity too tantalizing to pass by – the arrival of a Demacian General. Stalking him to his tent, she quietly dispatched his guards and slit his throat. Pleased with her impressive kill, she disappeared into the night. Katarina’s elation faded the next day when her original objective, the Demacian officer, led his forces to ambush unprepared Noxian soldiers. Though the Noxians fought valiantly, they suffered heavy casualties. Furious at her mistake, Katarina set off to complete her original task. Returning to the camp, she spied her now heavily guarded target and realized a stealthy kill was no longer possible. Drawing her blades, Katarina swore the officer would die, no matter the cost. She leapt into battle, unleashing a whirlwind of steel. One by one blades flashed and guards fell, each strike bringing her one step closer to the officer. A final thrown dagger restored her honor. Bloody and bruised, Katarina barely escaped the Demacian forces, and returned to Noxus a changed woman. The scar she earned that night now serves as a constant reminder that she must never let passion interfere with duty.

“Never question my loyalty. You will never know what I endure for it.” – Katarina

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-22-2012
2 of 36 Riot Posts

Also, I am closing the other threads to focus attention on this one.

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-22-2012
3 of 36 Riot Posts

Also, I have a number of meetings today and a presentation, so I will be posting as quickly as I can today and tomorrow. Thank you for your patience!

swan2swan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

I approve of this new bio completely. It's better-written (still a little off in the middle, maybe, in terms of transition time) and the story is perfect. My only regret is that it once again does not mention her father by name, but that's okay; it says that her father is a general, and her name is Katarina Du Couteau, so, General Du Couteau.

ploki122

08-22-2012

dat Triple post OP...

Iceoh

08-22-2012

As someone that never paid that much attention to kat (or her lore), I get chills when you guys take feedback from the community and do what you can to improve upon it.

+1

Polaritie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

It's such a shame so many in Noxus aren't like Katarina.

Adalore

08-22-2012

Promoting the soldier to low-(field?)officer helped immensely.
And it's more clear that she was kicking her own behind over it, and went back in to fix it.

Swak

08-22-2012

You hit it this time Riot. In my own opinion this lore is MUCH better. She has an attitude now!

NVDax

08-22-2012

Does Katarina still have any relations lore wise with Garen?

1234511 ... 14