Hi there. I'm Kades.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ninjadinosaur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

Quote:
I like hockey. My favorite team is the Dallas Stars. It's been a painful decade to be a Stars fan, but I'm no fair-weather fan. With them through the good times and bad...!
Woah woah woah xD You sounded like a good guy till i read this :P Me being a season ticket holder for the SJ Sharks you have to see why i say this. ;D

Kades

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Associate QA Analyst - Gameplay

08-22-2012
104 of 145 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naether View Post
LoL is currently signed over to the South Pacific via a game client known as Garena (hopefully legally). I was wondering if you were aware of any Riot plans to take responsibility for the region's growing LoL base?
I've been looking into this- this honestly is no where near my department, so I don't really have a good ETA on when I can get you an educated answer. Sorry, Naether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahampster1501 View Post
Do you use reddit?
Not at the moment, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustmaker View Post
Hi Kades!

I really hate heaping on balance questions, but do you have any Jarvan IV fanatics in your ranks? If so, how do you/they feel about Jarvan's ultimate - I, personally, feel that it is very strong but a bit gimmicky and unreliable compared to the ults of other champions (Nautilus, for example) considering that it can be completely ignored by so many champions. Any thoughts?

You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I mainly just want to say hi!
Hey there, Rustmaker...!

We definitely have players here who enjoy J4! I can agree with your analysis on his ult- I think any ultimate that can be 'ignored' with a summoner spell is a bit 'bleh'. Similar things that we've changed in the past would include Cleanse interacting with Warwick or Malzahar. With that said, if you time his ult properly (and you watch cooldowns), Jarvan's ult can have a larger impact on a teamfight. But, yeah, it feels lame to wait for your ult to come off cooldown- use it at a crucial moment- and then watch them Flash out. I think Flash provides that interaction often, honestly, but that's a-whole-nother can of worms...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobita View Post
Posting solely to say that playing Diplomacy makes you the coolest red I've seen post.
If you enjoy it and have ever watched or read The Game of Thrones- then I highly recommend the GoT Boardgame. It takes a lot of the elements of Diplomacy and adds some brilliant flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostStalker86 View Post
Thank you for actually asking, i didn't think you'd remember, this is kinda a big thread.
It really, really is.

Kades

08-22-2012
105 of 145 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clakkotypis View Post
Do you/will you stream?
Have you read the Eragon trilogy? (If not read it, amazing fantasy book)
And GO LEAFS GO!!! >, XD. The leafs are kinda in the same boat as the stars but worse..... but i like you am no fair weather fan
I don't typically stream, but occasionally I'll play in some of the Riot vs. Community games on Thursday nights after work.

I've not read Eragon- but I remember when it came out being impressed by the age of the author.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaarrjj View Post
Oh, and can you thank the Sound guys for me on Katarina's Rework? Dig all the dagger knife sounds they did. Best thing ever.
Will do- they'll appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Stark View Post
Hi Kades! I saw that you said you like hockey, and I decided this will be the only one of these threads I post in. Can you enlighten me/us more about your hockey career? xD
No hockey 'career', here. The only thing close to that consisted of me graduating from "Hockey Level 1" from the Culver City Ice Rink. That involved me skating in a circle around a bunch of cones, trying desperately not to keep falling. At the end of the class, the trainer came up and said I should probably retake it before I went on to "Hockey Level 2". I'm just a fan. I'm a terrible skater- but a big fan of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColossusCrusher View Post
I would also like to reiterate the poster who said you should read the Dresden Files. They are excellent.

Have you ever read David Weber's Safehold series? It's a fantasy/scifi hybrid that somehow works.

Last question: Did you make the same mistake I did and read through all of the Sword of Truth series? A friend and I commiserate about it every now and then (and I get teased by my girlfriend about it, but that goes without saying).
I've never read the Safehold books- but I'll add them to my list...! With all the great book suggestions, I'm not gonna have time to play LoL or post on the forums...!

I got about 5 books into the SoT series- I thought they started very strong- but it felt like (to me) he hadn't planned his 'arc' out before he started writing.

Kades

08-22-2012
106 of 145 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE eNdLeSs WaR View Post
whats up with mordekaisers size buff?
Hey there- I didn't forget about this.

I checked into this- and we're looking into making Mordekaiser's model a bit bigger. We have to go through a lot of Quality Assurance work whenever we make a change like this- we don't want to break anything- but on the off chance that goes smoothly and without any hitches- we might be able to get it out in the next big patch.

That's a big, 'if', though. So if it doesn't happen, know that it's because we're trying to protect your gaming experience. But after wandering around and chatting with a few people, I think our consensus agrees with yours- he should be a bit bigger because he 'feels' a bit bigger.

Good call, guys.

ThornAlavarn

08-22-2012

Quote:
I loved the Harry Potter books. People don't really give them the credit they deserve in that- they encouraged an entire generation to fall in love with reading. How awesome is that?
It is definitely awesome! The Harry Potter books were the first books I read, and loved, and even made me want to write my own book for a time. I sort of gave up on that upon realizing that I was not a good enough writer to write a book to my own standards, though..

Oh, and I know you already have a very long list of books to read by now, but read the Dragonrealm books if you ever get a chance. The author is Richard A. Knaak.

Ibuki Suika

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kades View Post
snip.

I dont expect to get a reply on this but could you also ask the right people WHY Katarina got a whole new voice set with her remodel/remake? Ashe didnt get this (and didnt need it but neither did kat imo). And let them know I don't dislike the new voice or anything really...it just feels like it was change for no reason, which is why it bugs me. If there was a reason I'd like to knowbecause if its a good one it would make me feel better about the new kat.

ColossusCrusher

08-22-2012

The issue about the Sword of Truth series is that the author basically turned it into Ayn Rand on Fantasy Juice mixed with a few repressed (?) desires of his. I don't know about you but it wasn't really my cup of tea.

TalLavi

08-22-2012

Hey Kades,
I got a question for you from the world of grand fantasy books.
What do you think of a dash of Romance in a fantasy book? I always find it to be a nice and refreshing to add a little romance to a big book otherwise it feels really heavy. When I read LOTR as much as I enjoyed it that book was massive, and it was so forceful I had to take breaks from reading it.

Also can you give some feedback over here?
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2503187

Kades

08-22-2012
107 of 145 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiie View Post
Since you have such good taste in board games, I was wondering what genre(s) of music you prefer to listen to.

For myself, (and I'm a weird one in my generation) I prefer to listen to classic rock, but I like pretty much anything with a good melody. Mike Oldfield, The Eagles, Beach Boys, Def Leppard are favorites of mine. I've also been introduced to electronic by a friend (Daft Punk, The Glitch Mob) recently, and I'm slowly exploring that genre.

So what about you?
I have pretty collectic taste. Everything from Flaming Lips to James Taylor; Garth Brooks to Eminem.

But what I've been listening to lately? Josh Ritter. He's probably my favorite singer/songwriter of our generation- and it seems nobody's ever heard of him. Lots of it is 'Sunday-Morning-Hanging-Out' type music. The lyrics of 'Temptation of Adam' are some of the best of any song I can think of- honestly all his lyrics. He's a poet. Really fun stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post
Think you'd be willing to play Dominion sometime?
Course! Hit me up in game- I'll do it if I got the time...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxKhamulxV View Post
Nope, i've been exclusively playing ranked and ARAM until I heard somethin!
Fun game last night, bud- thanks for the carry...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Alc View Post
I'm not much of a sports guy but I do also enjoy boardgames and I love (eating) good cooking. I would suggest watching or reading some of Alton Brown's stuff for improving your cooking, trust me on this one.

As far as board games go... My favorites are Go (aka Baduk, Igo & Weiqi), Mage Knight, 7 Wonders, Munchkin Quest & Shadows over Camelot. I'm not sure if you answered this already but what are some of your favorite board games to play.

P.S. I also play quite a bit of Quarriors, Munchkin, Dominion, Fluxx and Gubs.

Edit: I also like to play Catan but I try to dominate 1 or 2 (depending on how lucky I get and how well I'm doing) resources so I can be an evil tyrant and only do unfair trades to make sure nobody else has a chance of being as wealthy I am... sorry zoned out.
My wife loves Alton Brown. It's kind of cute to hear her go on about him.

I touched on some of my favorite boardgames on the edit for the initial post (at the bottom), but the last game I played was Dominion (the card game). I also love Shadows Over Camelot.

Tirynos

08-22-2012

Hello Kades, To help further along your fantasy reading, have you read anything by China Mieville? An amazing author, very descriptive, and very interesting ideas.