Should "noob" be considered offensive language

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ffanatic13

08-15-2012

It is often used as an insult by disrespectful players. Discuss

Kagami

08-15-2012

it can be used non-offensively like for example:
"That was a noob mistake you brought X instead of Y for champion Z"

But in the majority of tribunal cases it's being used for verbal abuse which is punishable.

Exploding Barrel

08-15-2012

I don't consider it so bad I punish for it being used once or twice. But if it's spammed throughout the game, added into practically every chat line by the person, or is one symptom of overall negativity or harassment (which are all common), I'll punish.

Giannoulias

08-15-2012

I was in one game where both teams were exchanging friendly banter, both teams calling each other noobs, saying HA I GOT U every time they killed, but it was still a fairly positive environment. I didnt report any of them, and i doubt anyone else did either. So it really depends on the situation and whether it is playful banter or a hurtful insult.

Arcane Azmadi

08-15-2012

When someone is reported for verbal abuse, you should look at the tone and the intent of what they're saying rather than the exact word they're using (unless they start using racist slurs). I swear like a sailor in-game, usually when exasperated ("OH FOR F***'S SAKE!" etc) but since I don't swear AT people very often I've never even received a warning for my behavior (if people are offended by the actual swear words then the filter will clean them out without needing to completely mute my speech and cripple team communication).

No, "noob" itself is not "offensive language" in the sense that it's not a "bad word". But when it's wielded at someone as a weapon to belittle and insult them, THAT would be punishable.

JohnnyOmega

08-15-2012

Section IX of the Guide to Tribunal thread has a fictional example of a player making punishable use of the word "noob".

It's meant to help get a sense of a punish-worthy tone and context from the dialogue.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

08-15-2012
1 of 2 Riot Posts

For most things you can say (with a few exceptions), the context AND the word together make it harassment. Calling your friend a noob isn't harassment. Calling a random dude on live a noob is probably harassment. If you follow that up with telling him to uninstall, it most certainly is harassment.

KesslerCOIL

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-15-2012

tl;dr
noob is offensive language, stop being jerks and buy the newbies a ward or two.

Wagasaki

08-16-2012

what about verbally abusing someone with the word "novice?" OMFG YOU NOVICE...will that get you banned?

Harvester

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
For most things you can say (with a few exceptions), the context AND the word together make it harassment. Calling your friend a noob isn't harassment. Calling a random dude on live a noob is probably harassment. If you follow that up with telling him to uninstall, it most certainly is harassment.
For the most part, this. For a different example:
The word "stupid" can definitely be used to insult a person, yet it can also be used to describe what someone did or to show you have a negative opinion about X. Should it be banned because it can be an insult? Of course not.