I suck and don't know how to improve

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

anti404

08-14-2012

alright, so yeah, basically as the thread title states, I'm not very good at this game and don't really know why I do so poorly. I'm only level 18 so I'm still relatively inexperienced at this game (having never played a MOBA or SR prior to starting at lvl 1), I play mostly tanky melee derps/AD casters (Irelia, Jax, Darius, Pantheon are my most played) and seem to just get cocklestomped most of the time.

my biggest issue seems to be getting focused down in any group fights and not knowing when to engage/disengage. At the windmill I'm almost always the first champion to drop and I often have a sub-par KD/KDA and kill total given my choice of champs. I tend to be the tankiest/one of the tankiest champs on my team as true "tanks" and supports are rare sights, with most people picking AD/AP carries and caring little about team comp.

I've read and try to incorporate Nekrogen's/Sauron's guides, but they don't give much actual advice on engaging/disengaging/tanking and I'd appreciate any of your help.

Ikruti

08-14-2012

Would it be possible to use punctuation in that there OP? Maybe use more than one paragraph?

Edit: He went and edited the post so it's much more readable. Guess I should've quoted it so it didn't look like I was complaining about a what is now decently formatted OP.

NamKim

08-14-2012

Well, I am level 30 and I still suck so levels really does not mean anything.

Everything is really experience based. So, the more you play, the better you become...no, that's not right. The more you ACTIVELY play the better you become. When you die, tell yourself why you died and say it out loud to yourself. When you do something right, tell yourself why it went right. That way, you don't do the bad stuff while you continue to do the good stuff. If you don't, then you end up becoming one of those players that has over a thousand wins but is still no better than I am. The most important thing to do is never think you are better than you really are. Everyone will get to the point where they say "man, these guys are terrible. I'm losing because these guys are not doing x, y, z." At that point, tell yourself that you could be better to make up for those shortcomings. Do not become one of those guys who blame others for your own shortcomings or else you start to become worse instead of better.

Also, you play champions that are kind of big targets to begin with. By that I mean, the champions you play the most are known to be very powerful. So everyone will target you to take you down early so you can never become that super major threat. By all means, keep playing them. Just know that it might hard in the beginning. Once you learn how to play them, they will be incredibly powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikruti View Post
Would it be possible to use punctuation in that there OP? Maybe use more than one paragraph?

Edit: He went and edited the post so it's much more readable. Guess I should've quoted it so it didn't look like I was complaining about a what is now decently formatted OP.
No, I read how the post was originally. For a post that size, I had no trouble reading the entire thing and getting the meaning out of it. In the end, as long as I can understand the post without my eyes getting sore, I am perfectly satisfied. Now, if his post was like a page long, then I expect higher level of grammar and better organization of the post.

Jaghut Tyrant

08-14-2012

Try playing a little more cautious at the windmill fight, and wait for a more favorable time to engage.

In general, if you aren't pretty certain that engaging is going to have a favorable outcome, then don't engage at that time. Taking risks can pay off, but taking blind risks isn't a consistent way to win.

The more you play, the better sense you'll get for these things. A big part of it is understanding all the champs and what they do, and paying attention to enemy builds to help determine their dmg output/tankiness. Building your knowledge of these things will help you to understand when is a favorable time to engage/disengage.

Melvear

08-14-2012

As a tanky dps, your role is to destroy high priority targets (carry, assassins) and/or protect your own high priority target if need be.

You should be second into a fight, after your tank or whatever your team has in terms of initiate (could be Ashe arrow, a blitz pull, a Zyra ult, basically, anything that highly disrupts the enemy team) If you don't have a tank on your team, it may be wise to learn to play at least one so you can pick him instead of having a poorly balanced team.

Lastly, ping targets, tell your team you will initiate before you do so, and attack in places you are at an advantage (or at least, deny their team their advantage). Don't attack on their point unless you have garrison up and feel pretty good your team can finish up the fight in under 8 seconds. Draw them off their point (baiting with a low hp target, or back capping their mid).

It's not always easy to win in solo queue, since people often play their own little game and don't seem to see the bigger picture sometimes. If playing top doesn't work, playing bot can be a good way to climb up in ranking. Keeping your bot all game, or getting their bot if things go well means your team has more freedom top, and their team has to deal with you should you be winning the lane.

hinderlopen

08-14-2012

if you have a lot of squishy teammates, you should really just try not to engage in fights and poke the enemy until they're forced to retreat or get easily killed. You can either try to
-stick close to your squishies to protect them (and to have more juicy targets than yourself around you)
-or be just a little out in front, on the edge of the safe zone (barely out of enemy range, barely in teammate range) and bait opponents into running at you.

In teamfights, a lot of the time the person being focused is "out of position." In dominion this counts as being just a tad too far away from your team or your tower. Your squishy teammates should always be in range to attack any melee enemies trying to kill you, Remember that in the average case you may be stuck where you are for 4 seconds (stunlocked) and make sure that is at least an ok place to be stuck for that time. So if you're getting engaged on and killed easily, you should try sticking closer to your teammates and farther away from the enemies.

It's good to engage when your teammates are walking with you (within spitting distance) and there's an enemy that probably cant get away if you engage them. You still need to be cautious of counter engaging and engaging on top of a tower (possibly good but don't try this against tanks).

There are more exotic and dangerous styles of engaging that you can try, like flanking the enemy and jumping on squishy champions as your team engages their front (do not go in alone, make sure your team is going in too so you aren't 1v4ing) and champions that you should never engage on without it being 1v3 or something (super fed jax, poppy, kassadin). Flanking works if your team wont flat out die 3v2 (it should cause you to 1v2 the squishies as the tank and bruiser engage your team, this should be a winning situation for you) which means that you can't have 3 squishy teammates and try to flank.

sorry if that advice seemed a little random, engaging is one of the harder aspects of the game to grasp perfectly, eventually you just get a feel for it, but that still isn't enough. goodluck!

Slivyrr

08-14-2012

Initiate when you've got people around you who can make use of you initiating and will make good use of it.
Run away if people are dying or not fighting after an initiation.

Usually the windmill rush will cause one of two things:
-The melee DD's die simply because they get focused and targeted after initiating and are easier kills
OR
-The DPS's/Ranged DPS's get focused because of a lack of CC and a good opposing team and a not-so-good group of carries.

Because you're initiating and dying, it means that people aren't focusing your carries, meaning:
-Your carries are not positioned to back you up because they haven't arrived yet and you're trying to win a 1v4 with no help
OR
-Your carries aren't playing well and being an initiator, you rely on them to kill the people who should be attacking you after initiating
OR
-You're diving onto already-captured enemy capture points with limited/no help from a responsible carry and the capture point is kicking your ass.

Now, being level 18 and new to the game, all of those are possible. If your team is just bad and not backing you up, well, nothing on your end can be done to stop it aside from simply just not initiating so much or trying to make a teamfight happen.

If your team is good, then simply wait a bit longer for them.

If you're facediving fights or points without support nearby, then that's simply on you. Sometimes suicide diving can be helpful if you delay a major capture so your team can arrive on time to win the fight, however most times, it's not a good idea.

It really just boils down to just learning from your mistakes and not getting baited into a fight you won't win. Initiate when your enemy's cooldowns are blown or they're at a disadvantage. Trying to win with brute force alone isn't gonna do much good.

IHeartBrainz

08-14-2012

Sounds like you just need to keep on playing games! Stay positive, positioning is one of the harder things to learn and will come with time and, with practice, you'll better learn what your champions can and can't get away with. Also, its important to be aware of how many enemy champions are visible on mini map and where they are. The champions you play are very strong in smaller skirmishes so knowing when you can safely engage in 3v3's and 2v2's without the possibility of the other team showing up will help you get some relatively easy kills and towers.

Kierloway

08-14-2012

If you're playing those champions you have to know when to commit and when to harass. It depends on your team comp and theirs. First thing is to make yourself aware of what every champ can do to you and what you can do to counteract them and what you should expect your teammates to do. While you're learning all of that practice on harassment with Pantheon's spear, max it out first. Don't commit until you're sure you're not going to die needlessly. As pantheon you have an excellent harass on a low cd, a stun, and a gap closer. The others you mentioned have their tools as well. Learn to use these tools, if you're dying a bunch change your playstyle to be more cautious as others have said here already.

Feel free to ping your teammates and be sure to stick with them as much as possible. Get into the habit of hiding and setting up ganks with your teammates. It's nice to take advantage of the brush when you have less range. But, like I said, stay with your teammates a good bit and don't over extend. It may be hard to resist the temptation but you need to avoid this. I see a lot of people do it and we have to ping them to get back. I do it myself sometimes and I've been playing this since it came out. Just hang back and protect the turret, set up ganks, or help your teammates. Focus on the squishies in team fights, don't go for the easy target that is in your face trying to CC you. Ping targets so your team knows who to focus.

anti404

08-14-2012

One thing I've noticed in my losses is that people don't want to set up/coordinate for ganks or team fights and instead simply push minions up to the windmill an infinite number of times regardless of odds or will roam mindlessly in the jungle. People also rarely shy away from facediving the windmill to backcap the opposing mid either.

I will do my best to be a better initiator and less aggressive facecharging. I do play tanks (Amumu/Alistar) on occasion but I honestly just cannot stand playing them; I don't find their builds or playstyles enjoyable.

How would you harass on a melee champ such as Darius/Jax/Irelia? I'm pretty good at harassing with Mantheon and the Nine-tailed Fox but with the first three I mentioned I can't harass well without getting focused and facestomped.