Champion Bio Updates - Kat specific questions

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 18
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kitae

Lead Designer

08-10-2012
1 of 11 Riot Posts

Hey Lore fans,

RiotRaven is currently running an AMA thread to answer your questions and provide context about Katarina's updated bio.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2461652

I understand there are other questions as well like "why update Kat's bio at all?" I'm here to answer those questions. Before you ask, please review the original Champion Bio Updates post I made a while back.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2422012

TLDR; Ask RiotRaven for information about the new bio, ask me about anything else to do with Kat's bio update.

xXIskanderXx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2012

ill write my question from the katarina post here then.

i think the fundamental question is: Is the lore being changed as a whole, like in the level of all the JoJ, and old Character bios are not canon anymore just a thing of the past? and the new lore is whats canon now sort of like a reboot of League of Legends lore?

Swanhaven

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitae View Post
ask me about anything else to do with Kat's bio update.
Other than 'Why, why, why would you do this'?

To rephrase my previous post:

1. You took a professional killer and turned her into an incompetent who bungled her first mission
2. You took a person with a professed love of killing and turned her into someone with a 'passion for life'. No mention of her knifing a childhood playmate, no mention of her killer instincts, just 'Oh, she was trained in the ways of a knife as a child, she just gets a little carried away with the murder because she is just so passionate about Noxus~'
3. All personal connections in the story are completely removed. No sisters, no mention of her father except in passing, no Garen, no nothing.

You took what was a very good "bad" female character with a reputation for efficient ruthlessness and turned her into a total lackwit standard 'female bad guy!' psuedo-Riven wannabe with a nice big moral grey area inserted in her motivations so she doesn't have to be really bad, just sort-of bad. You stripped all originality and character out of her and made her into every 12 year old girl's self-insert fanfiction character. And when I say 'psuedo-Riven' I mean she's actually pretty much a straight rip-off of Riven with a touch more 'edginess'. Edit: And failure, let's not forget the PASSIONATE failure.

Are female characters not allowed to be straight-up 'bad' now? Why, why, why oh god why?

Zerglinator

08-10-2012

kitae, are you the Riot spokesperson for stuff that gets megarejected by the community? Kat's new lore, Infinite Light...

Opreich

08-10-2012

And still they will downvote those willing to talk.

NadalKenlyl

08-10-2012

I really dislike her new biography compared to the old one, why did you feel it's necessary to change hers? It was easily understood and made her character motivations and emotions clear, with her rejecting a traditional female role in her society, not just choosing a life of combat. This new story just seems like she's a spoiled princess who was "given" her assassin skills because that was already an option.

Melancholy Exile

08-10-2012

I understand the point of this new 'bio' was to make it easier for us to relate to Kat, but doesn't it do the exact opposite by removing all the markers that are relevant to her current place in the lore?

Katarina has been a long-serving champion and played a role in a great many events. This new lore writes Ionia and Sion's retrieval out of her backstory, giving her nothing to compensate. Why did you decide to focus so heavily on the person Kat was, rather than who she is? This 'bio' makes it sound as though she's a brand new champion, rather than someone with a well-documented history of violence.

TheMeta88

08-10-2012

Just gonna repost everything I said from other thread. Btw this is a...untrustworthy way to split the discussion.

Quote:
I am sorry. But this is a horrible retcon. Simple as that. Instead of her actually being interesting and original you turn her into a Noxian Fiora. With a slight twist of course but still.

I request that this retcon be with held from the main client untill we..."fix" it.

1. Why do you make her sound so....preppy? "free spirited" what? In her original lore she sounds like a bad ass. A woman growing up in a restrictive militaristic soceity. At birth she was meant to birth and nurture strong men for the Noxian military. But instead she decided to take up her fathers blades and carve a new path.

2. In her original lore she is competent! Do all the new lore HAVE to involve the "protagonist" losing at some point? Shyv lost her dad, Fiora her...dad..sort of..huh. Katarina also sort of loses her dad. You don't even mention her family name in the new lore! Are you burying the old lore? Are you trying to ignore General Du Couteau? Anyways, she targets the wrong guy and because of that Noxian soldies get crushed. Her and her family are dishonored so she goes leaping into combat and gets her scar. A nice touch. But a diamond in a pile of ****. I of course mean the scar. So now she goes to the League to prove that her and her family are not to be trifled with? Again...Fiora? I even notice this in Rengar's lore. A hunter at the top of the food chain. He fights a very powerful foe and for the most part loses. Now he joins the league to continue hunting powerful prey to fix his injured pride? Really! oi.

3. You claim to want the new Lores to have new relationships yet you litterally remove ALL of them in her new one. No garen, and no Dad. Why couldn't the "prominent soldier" have been Garen and he lives instead of dieing. Being another champion it is fitting that he survives her blade right? Also why cut out her dad? Again trying to cover it up? Trying to bury the old lore when you can? I don't like it.

I guess that's all. My question would be...Will you fix this? Because her new lore is simply atrocious. Sorry, I liked the others but now your just getting ridiculous. I liked Kata more when she was a Noxian Noble who is the daughter of a renowned and feared general who was amazing with the blade and who passed his knowledge to his daughter before dissappearing. She is no longer really sinister and nasty and in the league only because of her bloodlust and drive to be the best. Again she took on the Fiora mantle and is out to prove her strength and the strength of her family to the world.
Quote:
Make her a badass again.

Put her Dad and Garen back in. As well as Sion.

Make her competent.

Don't say passion so much.

Bring her sinister side back out. For Christs sake she's called the Sinister blade! HER NEW W IS CALLED SINISTER STEEL!

Bring back her bloodthirstyness.

Put Garen's quote back in.
Quote:
But honestly I love Riot but I just love Katarina more and really do not want to see her get screwed up. If he doesn't respond untill they have a new better lore or have just decided to keep the current one then I would be fine.

Ryugi Kazamaru

08-10-2012

I've reposted this here in light of the new thread.

================================================== =====

Okay, let me say I actually like Kat's ingame ability remake. I think it opens her up to more players, and makes her a little more accessible to the average player.

However, I think what you're doing with this "Lore Rewrite" initiative is dangerous. I can understand making some updates to lore, adding things that make a character more interesting etc, and giving them more personality for your readers. But completely changing Katarina's past and activities like that? That hurts the lore community. It doesn't improve it.

You have an established character that you're effectively gutting and recreating to make someone who is similar, but largely different from what she was supposed to be. This will only serve to alienate those players that love the lore, not bring more of them into the fold.

I like that you want to create more complex stories. That's great. I like that the lore team is actually making themselves known, and trying to make sure the people who love the lore aren't alienated. But redoing things from the ground up like that hurts the characters and the people who love them.

You're effectively changing the character in the middle of the plot into someone new, with no real understanding of how it drastically effects the other characters or the plot, and that is uncomfortable and upsetting to any reader of any story. It makes no logical sense when you consider how interconnected all the champions are already. If you change one, you must edit another, and another, and another, until almost all the champions have been rewritten into something different than they were before. These are simple concepts that I learned while earning my degree in writing, and are things any author should avoid in order to keep a solid base for character development and plot.

The thing that truly worries me about this is that you've outwardly stated that MORE characters are to be looked at in this way, and rewritten, and as a writer and a big fan of the lore within this universe that you've created, this both scares, and worries me. If this complete rewrite of Katarina's lore is any indication of what you intend to do with the other champions, I am sincerely worried for the future of lore as a whole.

Please, reconsider how you're going about doing this.

I want more lore, but not if it has to come at the cost of rewriting everything I know and love about League of Legends.

Henry Plainview

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opreich View Post
And still they will downvote those willing to talk.
WE NEED BLOOD BECAUSE WE HAVE PASSIOn

1234511 ... 18