Creative Design AMA: Katarina, the Sinister Blade

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 41
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-10-2012
1 of 27 Riot Posts

I am here to answer all of your lore questions regarding the champion bio update of Katarina, the Sinister Blade! Ask me anything about her lore, character, story, and place in our universe, and I'll answer what I can!

For more information of our Bio Re-write Initiative, you can check out Kitae's post here.

Here's her new bio:

Quote:
Katarina, the Sinister Blade
Born to Noxian privilege, Katarina trained in the ways of the knife from the time she was a child. Now that fiery, willful child has grown into a beautiful and deadly woman. Katarina's intense passion for life is tempered by a sense of duty and loyalty to her family. That same passion proves a double-edged sword when her heart and her responsibilities are at odds.

As the free-spirited daughter of a prominent Noxian general, the young Katarina was given the best of everything. Naturally gifted in combat, she found herself drawn to blades. Much to her family's pride, she trained under the deadliest assassins in the Noxian military. It wasn't long before Katarina's instructors deemed her worthy of a trial by fire – to kill a prominent Demacian soldier. Creeping through the darkened military camp, Katarina was overwhelmed by her passion to prove herself. When the army's General strayed across her path, unguarded, she quietly slit his throat. Katarina disappeared into the night, pleased with her impressive kill. Her elation was soon crushed, as the next day her original target – the prominent soldier who was the true military genius – led his forces to ambush unprepared Noxian soldiers. Katarina flung herself into the fray to correct her mistake, earning a scar over her left eye as a permanent reminder. Even though she finally completed her task, her family's reputation was damaged. Since that day, Katarina vowed to never let passion prevent her from bringing glory to both Noxus and her family. Reconciling her desires with her duty proves to be a constant challenge. To the world, Katarina is a symbol of Noxian patriotism, though there is more to the red-haired assassin than meets the eye.

“Never question my loyalty. You will never know what I endure for it.” – Katarina

We would like to restrict this thread to constructive discussion of the Katarina re-make, so I thank you in advance for your participation!

Sylph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

08-10-2012

Going to post this discussion in the archive for future reference! Thanks for the update!

-Sylph
Runeterra Chronicler

Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitae View Post
RiotRaven is hard at work right now on some improvements to Kat's bio. He's actually on vacation as of tomorrow but he's going to keep working on Kat's bio while he's on vacation so we can get an improved version for the following patch. He will not have great internet access so he won't be able to respond to messages on this thread for a while, but he thanks you for the great questions and constructive feedback.

Katárina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2012

This is trash that Kat's lore is being changed. Her old lore, was just FINE the way it was.

No mention of General Marcus Du Couteau, no mention of Cassiopeia Du Couteau or her other sisters. No mention of Garen or how Sion's corpse was retreived. Nor mention of Talon.

A 'Prominent General" So you're writting Marcus Du Couteau out of the equation?

What the hell are you doing Riot?

The way you've written Katarina is as a brash hothead who's orignal trial by fire was during the Ionian War. What happened to her participation there?

I love Katarina. I love her so much I changed my NAME to hers, and roleplay as Katarina on the RP forums as Ask Katarina.

While the changes to her abilities seem.. something new and kinda iffy, I don't like this change to her lore. So much is being taken out of it.

She's being made into Noxian Fiora.

EDIT: You asked for constructive criticism. I do not think that this is the right way to go with Katarina's lore. You're taking so much away from her background. Her family is not mentioned at all. She has a high played in Noxian Nobility liek before yes, but nothing about that. She's a noble who's a prime assassin. Her father was the mighty Marcus Du Couteau.

Is Kat just going to forget about him now?

Please... do not change my lore, you red overlords you.

Edit#2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katárina View Post
Since this is an AMA. I want to ask.

Why is Katarina's lore being changed in the first place? What was so bad about it that did not fit within the Leagues Lore?

Will Marcus Du Couteau be mentioned more or will he become a champion relating himself to Katarina as the "Prominant General" in her bio.

Will Kat's Sister, Cassiopeia be mentioned, or are you going to redo Cassio's lore as well? Because it won't make much sense leaving it as is now. Right?

Will Katarina's other sisters be mentioned?

What of Katarina's apprehension towards the new Grand General, Jericho Swain? Before she was apprehensive about it becausee a decision was made before her father, the most notable candidate dissapeared right at the perfect time for Swain.

What of her choice to go against the more womanly ways that her sisters took up, to become a more powerful military being and powerhouse of Noxus?

What about her rivaly with Garen Crownguard of Demacia?

What of her willingness to work with Demacia to find her father?

Was was brought because of that?

What of Katarina's mission mission to find her missing father? She teamed up with Demacia for this, as did Talon.

BungalowBanshee

08-10-2012

I honestly find the new lore to go stray away the goals you set in your attempt at improving/revising the lore in League of Legends.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2460711

The thread post above reviews both bios, and elaborates on all the errors and things that go against the goals mentioned by kitae in the current revision on Kat's bio.

What are your opinions on the subject and do you feel like this new lore fits the goals of re-writes you have planned, and if so, please explain why.

Mirana Arashi

08-10-2012

Did Katarina go to a beauty salon on these days? Because she looks so much more pretty now!

Trolosaurus

08-10-2012

Honestly.... her new lore is bad. I mean on Jayce's scale of bad.
She's like a Noxian Fiora now.
I know you tried to make it work but.... honestly it doesn't. It's sorry but it's just bad.
I just don't feel like this is Katarina at all. She's already been heavily cemented into the lore, the change was a poor choice.

Valcio

08-10-2012

Kat x Garen still cannon?

Also how close is her to Darius? You know both of them being simbols of strenght.

Commando Slap

08-10-2012

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2460711
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2461534

I think a great deal of answers are needed here. I've pointed out a lot of contradictions with this rewrite and the goals of the lore team in doing so. In addition, there's a lot of feedback in that thread from a large segment of the community.

Why make Katarina into a new champion almost? Is this riot's intent whenever they say "relaunch"? Are we abandoning all the arcs she's involved in, and totally rewriting her personality? Why?

Also, why even rewrite it? What was so wrong with it?

DragonLord

08-10-2012

I have to say I really dislike this new lore for Kat. It doesn't feels like a completely different character then the original. The original made Kat out to be an incredibly talented fighter/assassin who loved combat and her country (since it gave her reason to fight). This new lore makes her seem like a foolish little girl rather then a badass with a knife. I understand you wanted to portray an inner struggle between her desire for violence and her need to hold back but this lore doesn't really do that.

Eyesack

08-10-2012

why

1234511 ... 41