[Champion Concept] Yaakov, the Divine Pilgrim

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Edasich

08-09-2012

Yaakov, the Divine Pilgrim

APPEARANCE

Quote:
  • Young man in his late 20s to early 30s
  • Spiky, sky blue hair
  • Red right eye, gray left eye
  • Pointy ears
  • Pale skin
  • Long scar across the bridge of his nose
  • Metallic wings (black right, white left)
  • Medium, white armor with red and black highlights
  • Long, red, silk scarf
  • Eerie, orange flame around his hands

Concept art by Edasich (using Anime Character Maker 2 by xdanond and PhotoShop)

Classic
Attachment 506668

Crystal Tarnish Yaakov
Attachment 646891

Iron Fist Yaakov
Attachment 646892
TAGS
Quote:
  • Carry
  • Support
  • Pusher
  • Ranged
ATTRIBUTES
Quote:
Attack Power: 90
Defense Power: 50
Ability Power: 40
Difficulty: 50
ABOUT YAAKOV
Quote:
Yaakov is a ranged carry/support hybrid who can easily transition between offense and defense mid-battle. On his own, either approach makes for very effective dueling, especially in the late game, where he shines brightest. In team fights, he can save his allies and/or annihilate his enemies as one sees fit.
LORE
Quote:
There is a world far away, where an ancient war between graceful, beautiful, immortal winged beings still rages. On one side stood those who claimed to fight for perfect order, justice, law, and unity. On the other stood those who saw the former side as a band of myopic, amoral tyrants. Yaakov was part of the former side until he was driven to seek knowledge in the dark arts by the seemingly senseless acts of familial disownment by his commander, Kayle. Distraught, Yaakov wasted no time defecting to her sister, Morgana, seeking her tutelage in the hope that he would remain at her side forever. In due time, he too became a powerful master of the dark arts and a force to be reckoned with.

As the final confrontation between the two sisters approached, Yaakov made sure to follow Morgana’s word, eager to assist her in her quest to defeat Kayle and her allies and liberate the people of their world. It was then, however, that he saw the horrid truth of his actions; in his mad chase for power and freedom, he had destroyed everything and slain everyone he had ever truly cared about—including those of his parents and siblings—and not as a liberator but as a soulless murderer. Mortified by the pain of his sins, he banished himself from Morgana’s side, but knowing the nature of Kayle’s brand of justice, he knew he could never return home unless he proved himself worthy of redemption. His chance finally came when he received word of the sisters’ involvement in a world called Valoran, where he would soon follow them to the League of Legends and show them the truths that one had overlooked and the other had denied.

“I am like neither the chosen nor the fallen; I see the truths that the former do not and through the lies of the latter.” --Yaakov
QUOTES
Quote:
Upon Selection
“What would you have your champion do?”

Movement
“Very well.”
“Light is not always good.”
“Darkness is not always evil.”
“Freedom is a right—and a responsibility.”
“My hands carry innocent blood.”
“I go.”
“On the wings of truth.”
“I do what I must.”
“Stay with me.”

Attacking
“Forgive me.”
“Together, we shall triumph.”
“A necessary sacrifice.”
“No turning back.”
“Leave doubt behind.”
“So be it.”
“I release them from their pain.”

Critical (Light Mode)
"Take this!"
"Have at you!"
"Begone!"

Critical (Dark Mode)
"Die!"
"Away with you!"
"Perish!"

Taunt
“I do not fear you; I pity you.”

Joke
“An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Don’t you agree?”
“Sharing in another's torment... Does that make any sense to you?”

Upon using Angel of Life
“Fear not! I am here!”
“Salvation for us all!”
“Protect the faithful!”
“Let there be light!”

Upon using Angel of Death
“Death to all who oppose me!”
“You are beyond redemption!”
“No quarter for the wicked!”
“The day of judgment has come!”
LEAGUE JUDGEMENT
Quote:
Candidate: Yaakov

Date: Unknown

OBSERVATION

His every movement shows as much conflict in his heart as one could suspect from appearances alone. The feathers on his black and white wings are almost artificial, his deathly pale complexion and pointed ears hinting at prolonged exposure to evil forces. He can barely bring himself to read the description on the plaque at the marble doors.

He whispers something unintelligible beneath his breath, raises his hand to the doors, and then stops. Then, he closes his eyes and batters his way deeper into the Great Hall. He seems to cringe under the vacant stares of the portraits on the walls.

REFLECTION

“Milady, this is madness!” his own voice cried out. “How can you be so thoughtless as to deny your own flesh and blood?”

“It is regrettable that I do this, Sir Yaakov,” said the golden-armored angel from behind her jeweled sword. “But Morgana has made her choice, and I mine. I do only what must be done in these trying times.”

Yaakov’s hands flared with holy ether, though he knew he was no match for Kayle. His eyes scrunched in anger, though he knew it unwise to upset his superior.

“I see. Your reasons for questioning me run deeper than what you have just spoken.”

Kayle grasped the hilt of her sword, uprooted it from the floor…

“Defend yourself!”

…and swung a searing arc of holy flame at Yaakov, who countered with a blast of ether from his hands. The two projectiles met in a divine inferno that threatened to engulf them both. Time and space were sucked into this fire until all that remained was Yaakov at the edge of a cliff on a starlit night.

Ages had passed since the two sisters had vanished from the realm of angels, and in their absence, the Great War still raged. Yaakov looked first to the moon, then to his hands shrouded in dark ether. Long had he pursued forbidden might in his bid to be with the one he cared for most, the one labeled pariah by his former allies. He closed his eyes and clenched his fists, ecstatic of his chance to ascend to greater power and make his new mistress proud when she returned.

“Do what must be done,” Morgana’s words echoed in his ears.

The sky was darkened by a passing mass of cloud, and the clatter of an armored boot opened Yaakov’s eyes to a helmeted angel with a jeweled sword. Yaakov glared at the figure facing him and raised his fists to attack.

“There is nothing to say,” he growled.

He fired a bolt of demonic ether, which the helmeted angel swatted away with its sword. The foe loosed a holy fireball at Yaakov’s face, but Yaakov doused it with a wave of fell energy from both hands. The enemy charged at him, but he sidestepped and loosed another bolt of ether, this time hitting his mark. The helmeted angel fell to the ground and dropped its sword, but before Yaakov could fire more ether, it cast a light of intervention to shield itself.

Yaakov, knowing this tactic all too well, raced for the helmeted angel’s jeweled sword, retrieved it, and dove at its owner. The light of intervention faded just before the sword pierced the helmeted angel’s neck and severed its head. Yaakov dropped the sword, took up the severed head, peeled away the helmet, and raised it in triumph.

But then, the clouds gave way, and the moonlight revealed the face of Yaakov’s slain father in his son’s hand.

The horrified Yaakov could only scream as he dropped his ill-gotten trophy and scrambled away. It was the night when he had realized that all he sought was for naught but hatred and lies, a night that he could never share lest it return to devour him again. His wings refused to lift him from the ground as he ran. He did not know where to go, what to do, or even what to think until a branch caught his leg and toppled him to the ground in a fetal, comatose heap.

He did not even notice time and space slipping into empty void around him.

“Why do you want to join the League, Yaakov?” echoed the voice of Kayle.

Yaakov, still drowning in his misery, did not answer.

“Answer me, traitor!”

At last, Yaakov snapped his attention to the void.

“T…Traitor…?” he gagged. “No. Even that is too good a name to call the likes of me. After all I have done, how can I ever redeem myself before our brethren? Before you?”

“Did you not answer that question when you came to this world?”

“I thought I did until I arrived, but here, I see only the past return to tear my soul asunder again.”

“Then stand up and answer me. Why do you want to join the League?”

Yaakov rose to a slipshod crouch and looked deeper into the void.

“I wish to atone for my sins and bring truth to both this world and ours,” he said with a quiver. “But more importantly, I wish to stop running from who I am.”

“How does it feel, exposing your mind?” asked Kayle’s voice again.

Yaakov paused to rise to his feet and stand tall.

“It feels…liberating…” he gasped.

Time and space faded once again, and Yaakov found himself alone in the great hall. He glanced first to his dark right wing, then his light left, and then to the mixed ether in his hands. Now that he had seen the truth neither side of the Great War did, he knew what had to be done.

Even if it would take him an eternity.
ANIMATIONS
Quote:
Movement: flying, slowly flapping his wings

Attack: He fires a bolt of divine (bluish white) or demonic (dark red) energy from either of his hands, depending on whether he’s in Light Mode or Dark Mode.

Critical: He fires a pointed bolt of mixed (dark red and bluish white) divine and demonic energy from between both hands.

Death: (Light Mode) He falls on his hands and knees, strains himself to get back on his feet, collapses face down, and disappears in a brief flicker of light.
(Dark Mode) He lets a dark aura envelop him, screams and writhes in pain for a moment, and then explodes in a shower of dark specks.

Dance: Yaakov performs a choreography of Judson Laipply’s Evolution of Dance.

Laugh: Yaakov gives a somewhat forced laugh as he shrugs his shoulders and raises his hands like a balance scale in slight embarrassment.
STATISTICS
Quote:
Health: 400 (+85)
Health regen: 4.2 (+0.9)
Mana: 230 (+35)
Mana regen: 6.6 (+0.45)
Range: 550
Attack Damage: 45 (+3.2)
Attack Speed: 0.635 (+3.55%)
Armor: 15 (+3)
Magic resist: 30
Movement speed: 335
ABILITIES
Quote:
Two Sides: (Innate) In Light Mode, Yaakov and all allied champions gain 1 armor per 100 of Yaakov's maximum health and 1 magic resist per 100 of his maximum mana. In Dark Mode, he gains 2/4/6/8/10/12% armor penetration every time he performs an autoattack. This buff lasts for 3 seconds and stacks up to 3 times.
Quote:
Transcendent Wave: (Active) Yaakov lashes at all enemies in front of him in a cone of ethereal energy, dealing physical damage and applying on-hit effects to the nearest enemy champion hit. This ability resets Yaakov’s attack timer when cast and can critically strike for bonus damage. Learning this ability first automatically puts Yaakov in Light Mode.

Range: 750
Cone Width: 60 degrees
Cost: 45/50/55/60/65 mana
Cooldown: 11/10/9/8/7 seconds
Physical Damage: 30/55/80/105/130 (+1 per attack damage)

(Light Mode) Transcendent Wave gives Yaakov and any allied champions caught in the AoE a shield for up to 2 seconds.

Shield: 25/35/45/55/65 (+0.5 per bonus attack damage) (+0.25 per ability power)

(Dark Mode) Transcendent Wave deals additional damage based on Yaakov’s total attack damage.

Bonus Physical Damage: 10/20/30/40/50% of attack damage
Quote:
Attunement Change : (Passive) Yaakov has increased combat stats depending on whether he's in Light Mode or Dark Mode. This ability cannot be learned until after Yaakov learns either Transcendent Wave or Hand of Fate.

(Light Mode) Yaakov and nearby allied champions have bonus attack speed and cooldown reduction.

Bonus Attack Speed: 15/20/25/30/35%
Bonus Cooldown Reduction: 3/6/9/12/15%
Aura Diameter: 800

(Dark Mode) Yaakov has bonus attack damage.

Bonus Attack Damage: 10/15/20/25/30

(Active) Yaakov switches between Light Mode and Dark Mode, changing the properties of his other abilities. Attunement buffs last for 1 second after switching between Light Mode and Dark Mode.

Cooldown: 6 seconds
Quote:
Hand of Fate: (Active) Yaakov slams the ground with his fist, dealing physical damage and knocking enemies back. Learning this ability first automatically puts Yaakov in Dark Mode.

Cost: 50/55/60/65/70 mana
Cooldown: 11/10/9/8/7 seconds
Diameter of AoE: 600
Knockback: 125
Physical Damage: 70/110/150/190/230 (+0.6 per bonus attack damage)

(Light Mode) Yaakov heals himself and any allied champions caught in the AoE.

Heal: 50/85/120/155/190 (+0.5 per ability power) (+0.15 per bonus attack damage)

(Dark Mode) Hand of Fate deals bonus magic damage to all enemies caught in the AoE.

Bonus Magic Damage: 10/40/70/100/130 (+0.5 per ability power)
Quote:
True Justice: Yaakov can activate Angel of Life or Angel of Death depending on whether he’s in Light Mode or Dark Mode. This ability cannot be learned until after Yaakov learns Attunement Change.

Cost: 130 mana
Cooldown: 140/115/90 seconds

Angel of Life: (Active; Light Mode) Yaakov radiates with divine energy and gives himself and all nearby allied champions shields for up to 5 seconds.

Range: 1200
Shield: 150/300/450 (+1.5 per bonus attack damage)

Angel of Death: (Active; Dark Mode) Yaakov envelops himself in demonic energy, gaining 200 attack range for 7 seconds and the ability to use Penance once within this duration.

Penance: (Active) Yaakov fires a powerful laser from his eyes, dealing physical damage to a targeted enemy champion based on the target’s missing health. This ability takes 0.5 seconds to cast and is not interrupted if the target leaves Yaakov’s sight. All enemies caught in the laser's path are damaged as well. This damage can critically strike for bonus damage.

Cost: 60/80/100 mana
Range: 1100
Width: 60
Minimum Physical Damage: 50/100/150 (+0.36 per bonus attack damage)
Max Physical Damage (20% health or lower): 250/500/750 (+1.8 per bonus attack damage)
RECOMMENDED ITEMS
Quote:
Starting
  • Boots of Speed
  • 3 Health Potions

Essential
  • Berserker’s Greaves
  • Blade of the Ruined King
  • Phantom Dancer

Offense
  • Trinity Force
  • Infinity Edge
  • Last Whisper

Defense
  • Guardian Angel
  • Mercurial Scimitar
  • Banshee's Veil
RELATIONS
Quote:
  • Yaakov is a member of the same race as Kayle and Morgana.
  • He once had an unrequited crush on Morgana, which drove him to defect from Kayle’s side shortly after the latter severed her ties with the former. Morgana never found out.
TRIVIA
Quote:
  • Yaakov’s name, alternatively spelled “Ya’aqov”, is the Hebrew form of “Jacob”.
  • He shares quotes with many other champions, including Jarvan IV (“Protect the faithful.”), Riven (“You are beyond redemption.”), Shyvana (“I go.”), Varus (“I do what I must.”), and Vayne (“I release them from their pain.”), all of whom endured traumatic experiences in life and became completely different people.
    • His jokes reference quotes by Kayle ("An eye for an eye".) and Morgana ("Share in my torment.").

Joben

08-09-2012

Absolutely brilliant my friend I hope riot sees this. The only thing I would say is it is a little too similar to ezreal.

Edasich

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroinalDictiton View Post
Absolutely brilliant my friend I hope riot sees this. The only thing I would say is it is a little too similar to ezreal.
Thanks for the feedback, but how is Yaakov similar to Ezreal?

Edasich

08-11-2012

updated trivia section, quotes, and recommended items

• Replaced Last Whisper with Black Cleaver

Edasich

09-03-2012

UPDATE

• Base Health decreased to 400 from 415
  • Transcendent Wave base damage decreased to 10/40/70/100/130 from 30/60/90/120/150
  • Transcendent Wave attack damage scaling decreased to +1 per attack damage from +1.3 per attack damage
  • Transcendent Wave can now critically strike for bonus damage
  • Attunement Change Dark Mode bonus attack damage decreased to 10/15/20/25/30 from 15/20/25/30/35
  • True Justice--Angel of Life range increased to 1200 from 1000
  • True Justice--Angel of Death--Penance range increased to 1200 from 1000
  • True Justice--Angel of Death--Penance now hits all enemies caught in its path

Lyria Eternal

09-20-2012

Hello Edasich, Flames of Terror, Concept Adviser for the CCF Council, here. I have decided to take some time to review your concept. I'm a bit rusty since I've been busy these last few weeks. So please don't take anything I say too hard.

------------------------------------------

Let's start with your lore, and before we begin I must say it's a well structured lore. The few issues that I noticed is a few missing links in the story. His revelations seem too typical, and too easy obtained. Granted lores are short, and rarely filled with a large amount of information, so I'm not going to hold that against you. However, I'm sure that you will continue to evolve this.

In the line of lore-to-ability sync it's hard to determine a direct line, but I can see the connections. Moving onto the abilities themselves.

------------------------------------------

Innate:

Simple and direct. I would say it makes for a nice Ad carry. Not so much for a support. I would change it slightly if you want to make support a main part of his design.

Q:

This is a light hitter early game with self-support and carry properties. I would suggest a slight increase to the early base damage. Such a low amount would make him difficult to farm with early game.

W:

Both of the change-over abilities from other champions don't require mana to use, and shorter cooldowns. Granted they are ultimate abilities, but I might suggest removing the mana cost of the ability.

E:

I would take this ability first, and would rarely use his light mode. Maybe like the way I use Janna's ultimate for escape. The damage of this ability seems fine considering the cost and cd. You have a knack for the ability balance.

R:

Considering this and your E are your only really supportish abilities. The light ultimate in conjunction with his Q would double shield him for a large amount of damage. Not sure if that was your intention, but you might want to consider changing it. As for the dark ultimate it seems like a Varus Q + Kog'maw W + Riven R. Not a bad combination, and certainly powerful.

-------------------------------------------------------

In all I would say decide where you want him to go. He is going a few too many places. If you increased his combinations, and chains to make the support and dps mix a bit better. Then leaving him a dps/support would be fine. However, in his current state he's too much of a single play-style. He would be countered hard, and easily by a lot of champions currently in the league. I would say he would be played as often as Sejuani.

I hope that this has given you a few ideas, and helped you consider another direction to take this concept. If you want further help you can find it on the Live game in the "ChampConcepts" chatroom.

Furthermore you can look to the CCF Council main thread for other news and information.

Your's in fellowship,

Flames of Terror

Edasich

10-15-2012

UPDATE

• Transcendent Wave base damage adjusted to 30/55/80/105/130 from 10/40/70/100/130
  • Transcendent Wave base shield strength decreased to 25/35/45/55/65 from 25/45/65/85/105
  • Transcendent Wave shield strength scaling decreased to +0.5 per bonus attack damage from +1 per bonus attack damage
  • Transcendent Wave shield now scales with ability power and affects allied champions as well
  • Attunement Change now costs no mana
  • Hand of Fate base heal decreased to 50/85/120/155/190 from 50/90/130/170/210
  • Hand of Fate heal now scales with bonus attack damage

Edasich

10-16-2012

UPDATE

• Updated Recommended Items
    • Replaced Avarice Blade with Guinsoo's Rageblade
  • Attunement Change Light Mode now gives bonus attack speed and cooldown reduction instead of bonus armor and magic resist

Darth Darbius

10-16-2012

I think it's near perfect now. Wanna check out mine? http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2683567

Rose of Blood

10-16-2012

Little Introduction of me if interested:
I normally never comment on these I am going to start since I am going to post some character I see in some of my dreams that I find them interesting even knowing how to get them introducing in the league of legends it self changing the story a bit yes but not really at the same time. Congratulation to be the first one that I will judge and torture at the same time is going to be yours.

The Appearance -

Alright I will not be to hard on this parts pretty much what I will do is suggest things you could change your choice to make you character more unique and fitting to league. It is your decision if you wish to take my advice or not or even read it is completely up to you.

One of the things is the Metal Wings - I would make it more of the angel style of wings since one it would makes more sense and second metal sounds better to be as a skin. The Right wing I will keep the color black since it is your character but I suggest maybe going with a demon style wing with a few minor wholes through it being black with some red markings to show there damage pretty much. The other one which symbolize his light side would be white. The angel style of the wing will make it better looking and be longer then the other one so it will show him some strength and control on his movement.

This is the only real change from what you have I believe in my opinion would make things a bit different and in my opinion better. Like I said I love the mechanical wings idea but I see it more of an Skin add on style of item with armor all over the character without an helmet and make the color of your armor change color with the affect of your passive to go from White and Gold for an example to Black and Red when you change from Holy to Dark.

The Tags:

I agree that he can Support/Carry/Range that is all true but I would add two more which are:

Assassin - which is someone that can gank and do a great burst style damage which you do have a move that is a cone that could be used to do a lot of damage and also your character is not the best tank either so it fits this perfectly.

Pusher - Cause of his range that his ult gives him in the dark mode range wise and damage passive one he would destroy tower really fast without being to afraid of getting caught from people coming from behind the tower.

This is not only really an option if you agree it is kinda really Tags wise it is really fitting but you can say no I do not want to add it but again I believe you should and this is just trying to help.

These are the main things I am currently seeing I will edit this or if its been more then a week or two I will reply with another post I will think about it and study your ideas pretty much.

Abilities

Quote:
Two Sides: (Innate) In Light Mode, Yaakov gains 2/4/6/8/10/12% lifesteal every time he performs an autoattack. In Dark Mode, he gains 2/4/6/8/10/12% armor penetration every time he performs an autoattack. Each buff lasts for 3 seconds and stacks up to 3 times.
As FlamesofTerror Mention this move is really good for when you are carrying but does not do much for when you are supporting -

Light Mode - I would change it to something like: For every 100 Health Yaakov grants 1 armor to him and all his allies. For every 100 Mana Yaakov grants 1 Magic Resistance to him and all his allies./ I know this is weird and different but I believe cause his low starting armor and MR I believe this will work as a way that he would be able to support better.

Dark Mode - Funny enough either stay the same or take life steal on instead: In my opinion it should be the same thing as it is right now.