Upcoming Zyra Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sicom

08-07-2012

Quote:
*Stranglethorns cast range reduced to 700 (from 800)
Again, this change is designed to make Zyra less safe -- or rather to make Zyra choose between safety and power. 700 range is identical to Vlad ult, which I am sure our Vlad players will note is not especially large. For you math nerds, this is a 23.5% reduction in the total area in which the ult can be cast. Since Stranglethorns itself has a large radius, Zyra will still be able to hit a high priority target with the initial damage most of the time, but she won't be able to drop that perfectly positioned ult on all 5 of her enemies without wading dangerously close to the center of a fight.
Maybe I'm missing information that isn't mentioned here, but going to a 700 cast range from 800 is a 12.5% reduction.

MusicJazz

08-07-2012

If anything, Morello keyed into Zyras design. Being "NerfMasterSuckTown" as he was called in the old days must have hurt his feeling when he had to hit his own creation.

You're doing good work though Morello, don't give up hope on dem communities

Kelarm

08-07-2012

I'm very grateful that she was addressed so quickly. The concept for the champion is really cool and I'm sure she'd still be played whether she was overpowered, balanced, or underpowered. But man, as an AP mid player, playing against her was like bringing a candy cane to a gun fight. I hope these changes bring her more in line.

Edit: speaking of mlg domination, where are the mlg VODs?

CertainlyT

Champion Designer

08-07-2012
8 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warkeiser View Post
Personally, I think that they should have nerfed Deadly Bloom instead Grasping Roots.

The diameter of Deadly Bloom appears to be similar to Pillar of Flame, although the delay appears to be even shorter (Maybe it's just the animation of Pillar of Flame making it seem slower). Perhaps CertainlyT can clear this up but at this time it appears as though Deadly Bloom is just superior when compared to other abilities of a similar type.
Brand W:
Has longer range (900 v 825)
Higher base damage
Frequently does 25% more damage (including scaling)
Procs his passive damage
Greater radius (260 v 220)
Has the same delay (Brand's is slightly less consistent in its timing due to a different scripting method)

CertainlyT

Champion Designer

08-07-2012
9 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicom View Post
Maybe I'm missing information that isn't mentioned here, but going to a 700 cast range from 800 is a 12.5% reduction.
Area.

Kelarm

08-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicom View Post
The area of a circle is pi*r^2. Use a calculator.

Valenten

08-07-2012

Certainlyt could you just promise me that if these nerfs are to harsh yall will either revert them or something to get her back into a good place. i mean i have faith that yall know how to balance as ive been playing since may of 2010 and love this game more than other games. I just dont want to see another Champion nerfed into the ground and forgotten especially Zyra cause she is fun to play and has alot of things you can do with her.

Darmikau

08-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotDissonance View Post
I won't get into it, but this is not what we're stating. Some people will succeed with Zyra, some people won't. It's not okay for you to say that we think people who are unsuccessful with some champions are bad, regardless of power level. As a personal example, I was/still am a terrible Rumble player when his win rate was similar, does this make me bad?
I didn't mean that as what you were literally saying, though it has a hefty tone within the preface of Cetainlyt's post. Let's be honest here, even Morello is showing in this thread that he's really tired of the huge exaggeration a lot of forum goers tend to make.

I know that would never be your goal as Rioters, or part of having clarity, but putting emphasis specifically on "if you weren't succeeding with Zyra, this is what you were doing wrong and why we're changing it." is new. I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, but it's certainly the first time I've ever seen Riot have to level with the community and explain in such great detail exactly why something was OP.

In similar cases, such as Nocture's recent nerfs, it's just been a mix of "Well he was still good." or "He was succeeding in tournaments." This is the first time such explicit detail has been given to players about why something is OP on a fundamental mechanical level - the kind of discussion more threads need but don't get.

It's also nice to see more high level of play Rioters stepping in the relay the concerns of high Elo, because the forums lack a lot of perspective. I still think Jax is a little strong, but you hit me hard in the thread about Leap Strike. Which was actually kind of refreshing, because you've got 400 points on me that say I still need to learn more about laning top.

This thread not only gives more insight into changes - but it gives perspective that has been lacking in a lot of balance threads - helping people understand why something is OP rather than just telling them it is: it's a step in the right direction, I think.

Healurownbum

08-07-2012

All i have to say is /facepalm. When tested on the Beta loads and i do mean loads of ppl said she was way to strong and she needed some changes. Same btw now with Diana. Or other champions that later on got nerft. But u guys just always seem dead set on putting them on live too **** strong. And then later nerfing them kicking the buyer in the balls. Its just sad. Might as well remove beta if you arent going to listen anyways.

Good thing i saw this coming still a joke that its so many changes tho.. Disappionted in you Riot first time i rly am disappointed. Try and listen to your beta testers is all im asking.

Krshna

08-07-2012

nice changed riot, it all sounds just about right, shes still going to be very good and very fun!