Riot will NEVER respond to any thread of importance (and here's why)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YouHearThat

08-06-2012

Are we ever going to get in game events such as Double IP weekend, the last one you did you were force into doing because of Tamat messing up (serious 34% what a joke lol)

Hell Above

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2012

I have no idea if it has been said before but concerning the "3219873198234713 posts about the very same subject", maybe you could implement a filter that searches for keywords and refer to posts about the same subject BEFORE the thread is posted

Just my 2 cents.

Zerglinator

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryndamere View Post
Appreciate the note and we know.

We ARE you guys, that's the funny thing. So we know exactly what it's like to be in your shoes.
If that's the case, can we all get Riot names, red forum posts, and Avatars?

I'm kidding, of course.

PinkSwordmen

08-06-2012

Quote:
Have you guys at least thought about lowering the prices of rune pages? Personally I don't understand why they cost as much as a new champ.
cause those runes are actually quite useful and can make u last longer in lane

fueled

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueled View Post
Since closed beta, i have remained cautiously optimistic with this game/company.

Have most of my concerns been met and addressed, yes. Some much longer than others.
While others were done so hastily, that it left a very bad taste in the community's mouth (re: skin retirement).

My only true gripe is ip gains. For a person like myself who really only plays arams (and co op vs ai for first win bonus) and the occasional 5v5 normal with friends, it takes me roughly 10 games to buy a 410 ip rune. With each champion that comes out (of course at 6300 ip, because when was the last one not 6300?), i either can spend 10 bucks, or wait 2 months to buy the champ. I'm not saying I need to buy every new champ, but some recent releases I really wanted to play, but couldn't see myself spending real money on or saving up the 6300 ip so I was screwed either way. I have no problem buying skins, I have many, many skins (over 60), and I think 5 of them are legendary (one is alien invader heimer )o: But I refuse to pay money for something that is essentially free.

While I like to believe that the whole IP earning system was re-worked in my favor, as a custom game player for the most part, I'm just not seeing it. I guess I'll start having to play other game modes I enjoy less to actually earn decent IP.

Maybe if I ask a question I'll get a response lol, here it is:
For a player like me, do you suggest I just grit my teeth and farm the IP (by playing normals, not my most preferred game mode), trying to make the best out of with friends. Or, is there a solution or ideas in the works for a Lol player like me?
Stop over looking this. I'm a long time player, and i heavily support your company. I don't think my question is too vague or leading or hard to answer.

Vsin

08-06-2012

Sorry, I'm going to parrot the whole 6300/975 pricing thing again.

Yes, 6300 is technically free. But the numbers have been crunched over and over again, with the core result being that you only hit 6300 IP after a month of lifeless play. I believe the numbers are 10 games per day, averaged at 5/5 W/L with FWotD inclusive barely hits 6300 within a month. With games on average lasting around 30 minutes, that's a baseline requirement of 5 hours per day...and even the pros and streamers barely squeeze in that much time for LoL.

Now, I fully understand that the 3150 and cheaper options are perfectly viable...heck, you can effectively fill any role with 1350 or cheaper champions. However, if I'm not mistaken, the IP it takes to fill a single rune page is 10k ish, so two rune pages is 20k. And I'm being pretty reasonable here - it's just one AD page for ADC/Jungle/Bruiser and one AP page for AP. However, you THEN compound all those 3150 and cheaper champions, and now we're sitting at a massive chunk of IP.

And if someone expects to get any variety out of their champions selection, they need to budget out 6300 at least a month in advance, then hope that they rolled the dice properly on the choice or else that's a month of IP down the drain. They could also pray that the free week roulette lands on something fresh and new, but the stats show that roughly 50% of any given rotation is taken from roughly 10-20% of the total champion pool, meaning that actual variety in the free weeks is extremely limited.

Now, I completely recognize that not everyone wants to be hyper super competitive. Heck, I visit the local internet cafe to play LoL from time to time, and more than half the people I spot playing LoL aren't even Lv 30 yet. However, even when compared against other F2P games, a newcomer's ability to access content over time is depressingly bad. The only game I can think of that's worse is Cosmic Break, which puts all new content behind a Real Money RNG Machine, and gives free players a pathetically small trickle of RM currency that eventually adds up to a single roll of the RNG Machine after one month.

Pryotra

08-06-2012

Ima repost this, as Heimerdinger players get no answer ever, and you seem to still be posting.

What have you learned, if anything, from your treatment of heimerdinger, and the summoners who play/played him?

He was nerfed HARD, after repeated nerfs, you guys denied the final blow was a nerf, forgot about him for more than 2 years, dealing with the entire stealth rework in the process, ignoring every heimerdinger thread, even the top heimerdinger player stopped playing him competitively, and most stopped playing him at all. Then you release Zyra, that replaces heimerdinger in every way, leaving no reason to choose Heimerdinger if you can chose Zyra. This treatment is something you have never done before, and I want to know that all this neglect at least taught you something.

fried freshly

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryndamere View Post
If we did that, then you're right, that is terrible.

What is the responsibility of leadership in this case (like me)? It's to ensure that the people who handle these situations understand what went poorly, how our actions are misaligned with our ideals and then we try to learn from it so if there is another situation we can do better in the future.

That's what we try to do - but again, we don't bat 1,000 (but I think we're still pretty F'ing cool).
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to hound you to be illicit on every issue,
but I feel that a vast majority of your players would really like
to know if we are going to see IP price reductions in the future on
a reasonable level; I know you've touched on the subject, but warily,
as you still have not stated whether or not we will see any reductions
in the future, simply that marketing is something you've been working on.
All I'm asking is that you state whether or not we will see a reasonable
balance of IP pricing in the future, no specific dates or even estimates,
simply in the future would be enough to quell the community's outlas
on the topic.

Bonabon

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
The problem is "we're not sure" on how to handle this, which is why we've been quiet on the issue. I'm also not the man to ask here, but in the interest of not being silent...
I can completely understand releasing brand new champions at 6300 for simple business purposes. But there should really be some sort of rotation downwards as they age, and not just the 6300s. Perhaps you could just simply look at who isn't played a lot and make those champions cheaper (maybe by at most half the original price, it might rub some people the wrong way if a 6300 champ dropped to 450 :P *cough*Sejuani*cough*) to encourage people who may not have that champion to pick them up. Re-evaluate this every 3-4 months and rotate champions as needed. I wouldn't even be offended at making more popular champions more expensive. I'm not sure how this would affect the RP costs, but heck, even some of your 3150IP champs are 975RP.

You guys release new champions very frequently, which makes the acquisition of all these resources (runes, rune pages, and champions) look more and more daunting; especially for newer players. People have more fun getting a new champion rather than a new rune page. Personally, what I'd like to see in order to make this game a little more friendly for the new player is:

1. 5 all-time free champions. A set of champions everyone starts with, can get used to, and won't lose when the next free week comes around. Create some consistency for them. Ideally there would be one champion per role in SR, something like Ashe, Soraka, Annie, Kayle/Garen, Nunu. I know you give Ryze to beginners in the tutorial, and while he is easy to use I don't feel he's really a good representative for the typical mage in LoL because he builds completely different and can require his own Rune Page if you're being super serious with him. And honestly, I think Annie is the best starter mage for everyone. Her kit teaches a new player nearly everything about how champions work. She's like the Megaman X intro level of LoL, but I digress ...

2. Get rid of Tier 1 and Tier 2 runes. Why do these even exist? It's been a while since I've been sub-level30, but IP gain is the same all the way up, right? If players had 5 base champions to use, they could easily find out that "I like playing this kind of champion" and immediately develop a proper rune page around them; one that they'll keep when they hit max level. Then once they have that rune page set up they can look to see what other champions fill that same role they like. I can understand wanting to have "IP sinks" when you first launched and had a much smaller champion roster, but at the rate you release new champions there will always be something on which to spend IP. Why not make it on something more productive to a summoner's repertoire?

3. At least one more starting Rune Page. Three would really be the perfect amount of rune pages for any starting player to have. Rune pages could perhaps be what players "unlock" as they increase their summoner level instead of new tiers of runes (start with one, get another at 15, and other at 30). This would help players cover arguably 4 out of 5 more or less standard rune pages without going in and editing them before a match, and might help quell some of the "I want this lane or I feed/dodge" since - once they have runes set up - people can be more flexible and feel like they're actually contributing to the team instead of running AD Annie or AP Garen. I personally just purchased a third rune page, and honestly I didn't feel too good about it. Don't get me wrong, I'm relieved that the grind is over and I'm happy I have it available now, but I don't feel like it's something I should have had to do just so I can cover my bases. Maybe this is just a personal gripe, because I love being able to pick up a role no one else wants and be like, "It's cool guys, I got this," but I know a lot of other people think 2 rune pages isn't enough either. So I doubt I'm alone in that feeling. Leave the extra, purchased rune pages for when player gets more serious about their game and want those niche full-armor pages, manaless AP page, Akali page, one-of-every-rune-type page, or whatever the case may be.

Anyway, I'm glad to see so many reds in this thread. It certainly is a treat. :]

Jortalus

08-06-2012

I love threads like this. Once Tryndamere gets involved, there's just so much more clarity to everything. He goes above and beyond. Anybody who wants to make a case against Riot communicating with players should be directed to this thread. As somebody else mentioned, Tryndamere (the President of the company) is answering our questions directly. He considers himself one of us, which is a very powerful thing in the end. I consider him one of us, as well. He does what he can. The whole team does what they can for us, and it shows brightly when the time is right (like this thread and the ones similar to it over the months/years).

I'm still waiting for another major game developer to have even HALF the communication and candidness of Riot. Chances are we won't see it for quite some time.