Riot will NEVER respond to any thread of importance (and here's why)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TiberiusAudley

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I've talked about these issues in other threads and don't want to derail too much here, but I'll say this; competitive sports have "1 map" and it never gets boring (and in fact have "1 meta"). Maps can provide fun variety, but there's nothing that tells me that multiple maps make for a better spectator and player sport.
To say competitive sports have "1 meta" seems ignorant to me.

I mean, the competitive sport I have the most spectator experience with is football (namely, college football).

Even among just SEC schools, I can name 3 different teams with vastly different playstyles that don't even use the same position players on the field for the majority of the game (offensively speaking, defense is often similar for most teams, as 4-3 and Nickel packages are usually pretty common, though some teams like Big East's West Virginia like to run a 3-3-5 defensive set-up).

Alabama tends to focus on recruiting a strong offensive line and control the clock with power running backs. They pass when necessary, but they don't often make risky throws. They recruit heavily on defense and rely on that defense to keep the opposing score low, and rely on their kicker to score the majority of their points in close contests.

Auburn (for the past few years, under offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn) instead focused on a more fast-paced style of play. Rather than recruiting strong defenses (though, they did make sure to get a strong defensive line and linebackers to be good against heavy run-based offenses) -- they focus more on speed running backs, speed receivers, and coach conditioning for a no huddle offense.

LSU focuses heavily on defense, like Alabama, but on the offensive front get disciplined, fast receivers with superb route-running abilities. They aren't known for breeding good quarterbacks.

All three of these teams approach the game completely differently (though, Alabama and LSU ultimately play out rather similarly due to their strong defenses stifling any offensive movement). It would be silly to say they have the same "meta" -- some teams look to win by a field goal if that's all it takes. Other teams look for the end zone every time they touch the ball. Look at the Big 12 and Pac 12 where offenses run wild, and defensive stops are rare outside of turnovers or failed plays.

I dunno, I just feel kinda irked by saying competitive sports have "one meta" when college football highlights that many different approaches to the game are all viable, and some even find greater effectiveness against some strategies than others.

Jortalus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryndamere View Post
It's quite hard

This is something we want to figure out solutions to and we think we have some ideas that will help, but it will take time.
Take all the time you need. Despite some of the animosity running rampant on the forums, a large majority of your players understand how these things work, and hold no ill feelings toward you, Morello, or Riot as a whole.

Sometimes it's just anger, letting off steam, or speaking without fully realizing the situation. It happens to everyone, I think, but we don't mean it. Honest.

We love you, Riot. Change what you think needs changing; until then, I will be patient and continue supporting this game you've crafted so excellently.

Ninjabadgerx

08-06-2012

I can't say I'm a long time player.

That being said, my opinion probably doesn't even matter. Being new, I see these "problems" (whether they are long-withstanding or simply outdated) from an outside perspective. I haven't really had too many problems myself.

So, I think that Riot really isn't doing too much wrong. If anything, I sympathize with them. They have a lot to deal with and I can imagine are equally as busy. No company, nor any one person, is perfect.
While they have made mistakes in the past, they'll improve on them in the future. They certainly seem like they are willing to listen to the community. Just give them time and a a chance. Repeat things enough, and a change will come.

Tryndamere

President / Co-Founder

Follow MarcMerrill on Twitter

08-06-2012
34 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahampster1501 View Post
TL;DR We will acknowledge it and nothing else.

Wow riot, just wow, that's it for DELETING rioters posts on this and then IGNORING it for weeks? That's terrible
If we did that, then you're right, that is terrible.

What is the responsibility of leadership in this case (like me)? It's to ensure that the people who handle these situations understand what went poorly, how our actions are misaligned with our ideals and then we try to learn from it so if there is another situation we can do better in the future.

That's what we try to do - but again, we don't bat 1,000 (but I think we're still pretty F'ing cool).

Garlic Prawn

08-06-2012

I've been quite happy with the way Riot has treated the players, especially compared to other companies like EA, Blizzard, Capcom etc. It doesn't change the fact though that you guys have dropped the ball a few times recently. If you pick it up again though, players like me will continue to love and support your company.

I know stuff can take a long time to get done at a big company, but would it be reasonable for us to expect some awesome from your new marketing/publishing team by Christmas? The end of the year when people are in high spirits would be a good oppurtunity for Riot to show that they can and will deliver on promises.

Dr Toenail

08-06-2012

How to make a successful F2P Online game.

Step 1: Get some god**** investors to give you cash and **** (or abuse the **** outta kickstarter)
Step 2: Spend dat cash on some servers and people who aren't retarded at their jobs
Step 3: Create a business model that involves getting a ****load of people to easily access and play and enjoy your game so that they feel tempted to spend lots of money on it (Do not be like S2 or Hi-Rez where you sorely inconvinience players when they don't give you money)
Step 4: Communicate to your playerbase and ask them what their wants and needs are. Then oblige. They are perfectly entitled to opinions that will make the game better
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit

<3 you Tryndy

YouHearThat

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusAudley View Post
To say competitive sports have "1 meta" seems ignorant to me.
Those are strategies....

PinkSwordmen

08-06-2012

Quote:
That's what we try to do - but again, we don't bat 1,000 (but I think we're still pretty F'ing cool).
lol (i meant lol at the part(but I think we're still pretty F'ing cool).
)

Tryndamere

President / Co-Founder

Follow MarcMerrill on Twitter

08-06-2012
35 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jortalus View Post
Take all the time you need. Despite some of the animosity running rampant on the forums, a large majority of your players understand how these things work, and hold no ill feelings toward you, Morello, or Riot as a whole.

Sometimes it's just anger, letting off steam, or speaking without fully realizing the situation. It happens to everyone, I think, but we don't mean it. Honest.

We love you, Riot. Change what you think needs changing; until then, I will be patient and continue supporting this game you've crafted so excellently.
Appreciate the note and we know.

We ARE you guys, that's the funny thing. So we know exactly what it's like to be in your shoes.

Nexus Crawler

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryndamere View Post
It was not promised, and even if it was (which I am 90% confident it was not), then it was a communication mistake.

Also, PD's intention was to try to clarify the situation, but did so in such a way that clearly misinterpreted the vigor which some people felt justified on the situation. We don't bat 1.000.
Now don't get me wrong here Tryn, I don't care one way or another about 1k RP and I know taken from the stand point of any business, or organization it's completely (to use Morello's word) toxic.

If my memory serves though, Pendragon or another red did "imply" it in-so-much as saying that compensation was being discussed which was after the free 10win boost. Now while this doesn't say "we'll give you something for the trouble" it can be read that "compensation is on the table and we're just looking at what we want to hand out."

I'm pretty sure the posts have been deleted (could be by whoever had their foot in their mouth or the person from marketing I've taken you canned) but there was a post that took screenshots, or quotes before hand lurking some where in the general discussion.

Also while I'm here another issue that's been going around has been IP. I'm a old enough player to remember when we actually got IP for games compared to now and I think a boost in IP gains (maybe an increase in base) could go a long way to help with the content/cost situation. yes 97 IP for a 15 minute game of TT was probably too much but around 60 IP for a 15 minute win feels entirely too much like being penalized for playing well with a team. Also it takes entirely too long to "play for free." There's been plenty of math on it but if you're curious see how many "average" games of SR around 25 minutes, it takes to get enough IP for a 6.3k champion, and think how much a person has to play in a day to actually feel like they're making progress.

IMO all Melee's should have natural scaling MR ffs. (Sorry this is a old rage mostly to do with symmetry).

Heh people read IDK about 1k RP and instantly downvote without reading that I actually gave a argument to the contrary.