ELO skyrocketing like hell and getting wtfstomped.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shoat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2010

Disclaimer: Not a Matchmaking-QQ. This just can't be natural, it's just smelling way to fishy.

Following problem:

I play with together with a friend of mine. None of our accounts ever played a non-practice game without the other one.

We're level 27 or so now and have 110/100 w/l. I figure our ELO should be pretty low.

However, a week ago or so, our opponents jumped from between 20 and 30-with-less-than-300-wins to full level 30 teams with 500-800 wins each (even some 1000+ guys) while our team rarely had more than one or two 30's.
Needless to say we were stomped like hell and couldn't stand a chance, they were just so much more experienced and had so much more practice.

Queue times for these matches were between 10 seconds and 2 minutes. Nothing unusual, just like before.

All this happened literally over night. One day normal opponents, next day STOMP.
This has been constantly the case for the past week, so it can't just be an exception.

We were able to grab a first win once every 2-3 days due to the tables being turned (wtfstomp guys in our team and enemy team with unlucky sub-30's getting stomped), but we're getting sick of it and are considering to just not bother with our main accounts anymore...

Is there any explanation for this? I only post this here because I noticed an increasing amount of similar complaints in the leaguecraft forums.

Did our ELO just skyrocket up to those guys' levels or did theirs drop or is there an error somewhere in the queue system?
I don't understand how such a drastical change from okay opponents to I-hate-this-game can happen out of nowhere.

chaose

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-07-2010

group queuing boosts your elo.

Shoat

09-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaose View Post
group queuing boosts your elo.

You didn't read it at all did you?

We've been group queuing before. All the time. In fact on every single game on both of our accounts.

Our enemies slowly improved all the time. Slowly.
But this was an overnight skyrocket. From one day to another our enemies got a ****ton stronger and then remained at that level. We literally made a huge leap right into a Brick Wall.
We duo-queued before that without this issue.

chaose

09-07-2010

could be people playing on smurf accounts

Shoat

09-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaose View Post
could be people playing on smurf accounts
Level 30 smurf accounts with 500-1000 wins?

chaose

09-07-2010

maybe they're just that good

RiotStatikk

QA Analyst

09-07-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I can't really get much info out of this. You'd have to contact Zileas or someone who understands how the system works and knows how to datamine it.

sams0n

09-07-2010

ya this happened to me a few times. for the matchmaking there is a section on it, which i read.
a few things are that you elo when group only goes up a little with 2 people, a little more with 3, etc.

also the amount of time you are in the queue will raise the elo of you opponents because it only looks for a fair match for so long then it will raise the bar to get you in a game so the wait time is not too long.

the page is here:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/learn...ay/matchmaking

and a few thing i said:
"Initially, the system will only match players with similar Elo ratings. When enough time elapses however, it will broaden the range it considers acceptable in order to find a match and prevent players from waiting too long."

"While we will not give precise values because those are trade secrets, we can say that:

1. 5-man pre-mades are only moderately stronger than solo queuers
2. Partial pre-mades have only a slight advantage
3. New players don’t benefit much from being in a pre-made, while experts benefit a lot"

Shoat

09-08-2010

I have read that sams0n and I understand it.

But the issue here is:
Nothing had changed in the way we queued or in the time we spent in the queues.
Nothing changed, but still the outcome of the queue was differnent from what it should have been, by a huge amount.
Which is why I find it so puzzling.

By now the enemies are slowly getting weaker again because we've been having our asses kicked A LOT during the past week.

But it'd still be beneficial to find out what the cause of all this was.
In the case that there really is an error that mixed up ELO's or made the matchmaking act strange I'd prefer it to not happen again.

Sisaroth

09-08-2010

I have this since i hitted lvl 27, one game my teammates are between lvl 20-25, other game it's 9 lvl 30's, average 500 wins + me being lvl 27. But i didn't had problems winning, i even often thought at the end screen "700 wins and still don't last-hitting creeps WTF?". Only irritating about it are the tier 3 runes, while i only got tier 1. A ryze on lvl 3 could kill me in 2 seconds, because he had lots of MR and AP runes. The surprising effect was the biggest deal, because useally against worse rune pages i would have survived it.