How to Counter Zyra? (and other questions about her)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LucentRaven

08-03-2012

Hi Everybody

I just had a game against Zyra and this was my first time against her so you should be able to see where this is going. I was playing as Orianna and early game I was doing fine but suddenly she comboed her spells and taken down most of my health and then eventually killed me when I realised her plants were attacking me as well. Mid and Late game in teamfights, her ulti was a complete nightmare taking down most of my team's health as well as knocking us up. This kept going on until we eventually surrendered.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to counter Zyra mid with Orianna?
2. Are there certain champions that can counter her in lane?
3. Originally, I was saving up to 6300 ip for Cassiopeia but after seeing Zyra in battle against me, I'm thinking of reconsidering and getting Zyra instead. Which do you think is better and a lot harder to play because I find harder champions are alot harder to counter somehow and are a lot more fun (like my Orianna). What are their strengths and weaknesses and which has a bigger impact in a teamfight? Are these 2 champions worth getting and if not, then who is?

Thank you for taking time to read this and please answer if you can.

NewRelicspet

08-03-2012

The simple way to avoid getting ****ed mid vs Zyra is to not attack her. With her plants, she is a bit like Heimerdinger. Would you charge against a Heimer with two turrets up? No. You harras him and try to get him away from the turrets or destroy the turrets, then take the fight.

About her ult... It's just op. Nothing to do, that **** is op. When against a Zyra, just try to spread out as much as you can to make her ult do less damage to your team.

LucentRaven

08-03-2012

Yeah I never really tried to attack her in fact I mirrored her movements so if she moved closer i would move back but the problem was she made her plants from a distance. The only reason I said the ult was op was because she farmed so easily while I avoided her a lot and got fed after she managed to kill me.

urSouCal

08-03-2012

Both Vladmir and Ahri do fairly well against her in lane, but ahri's aoe is no match for zyra's while vladmir's is just behind.

I wouldn't really call them counters but more like the only two champions that even make it a fair fight.

Zyras ult is about as powerful as oriannas, but way easier to pull off since its instant, also zyras plants will have more damage than your ad carry if your enemy sits on them.

Essieu

08-04-2012

Ahri does well against her, because of Ahri's ult she can dash out of the knock-up and away from plants.

I've seen anyone who can push lane really hard does decently well just because then Zyra uses plants for not losing any cs and not for fighting.

TF is another good choice against her. Because His Pick a Card does 4 damage to a plant. BTW the health system on her plants is broken.

As for fights, SHE'S BROKEN. SO SO SO BROKEN.

Heres a link to video, better explaining it, and it contains some better credentials than I have.

Skip to 5:57 for just the part about Zyra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23THTnlr7I&feature=plcp

Acemandude

09-07-2012

anyone that can do some super burst to zyra can usually beat her

BloodySundae

09-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemandude View Post
anyone that can do some super burst to zyra can usually beat her
That is why I play Evelynn.... **Flash, Attack, Dead" -_-

ZomborD

09-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essieu View Post
Ahri does well against her, because of Ahri's ult she can dash out of the knock-up and away from plants.

I've seen anyone who can push lane really hard does decently well just because then Zyra uses plants for not losing any cs and not for fighting.

TF is another good choice against her. Because His Pick a Card does 4 damage to a plant. BTW the health system on her plants is broken.

As for fights, SHE'S BROKEN. SO SO SO BROKEN.

Heres a link to video, better explaining it, and it contains some better credentials than I have.

Skip to 5:57 for just the part about Zyra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23THTnlr7I&feature=plcp
You should know that his video was pre nerf on zyra. There's a couple good ways to counter her now.

Voidjames

09-08-2012

Fizz

Lethadind

09-09-2012

Fizz destroys Zyra. He even countered her pre-nerf. It's not even funny. His mobility keeps her from dropping plants on herself (wasting valuable mana), and her snare harass is incredibly predictable anyway. Just wait until she uses her abilities and burst her down.

Zyra is not an assassin late game either, so while she does a lot of damage, and has a great cc, Fizz's ult is just as useful (massive damage + AoE knockback/slow), and then he can proceed to get in, rape the carry, and get out. Ezpz.