Champion Bio Updates

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ecclessian

07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muranodo View Post
Their point is about drawing an initial connection between summoner and champion for identification purposes. You know the story. You know the lore now. So it's important to you. But if you take away the JoJ. Talon's Judgment. And just had the bio...

What would you know about Talon as a character? It's basically meant to make it more accessible while open up future avenues for more in-depth storytelling, so it doesn't seem so crammed/half-told it seems like.
That's fair. I just don't want to see the characters changed somehow by leaving out details. Imagine Warwick's lore if it didn't mention Soraka by name. You'd have the details of who he is still, but you miss out on this connection to another character in the story that is League of Legends.

It's these interwoven threads connecting the characters that I really enjoy, and I would hate to see it go.

Though like I said, I could be blowing this out of proportion

StarkRavenMad

07-31-2012

Don't.

Touch.

Swain.

Doosfin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecclessian View Post
That's fair. I just don't want to see the characters changed somehow by leaving out details. Imagine Warwick's lore if it didn't mention Soraka by name. You'd have the details of who he is still, but you miss out on this connection to another character in the story that is League of Legends.

It's these interwoven threads connecting the characters that I really enjoy, and I would hate to see it go.

I think the difference here is that Soraka is a champion but Du Couteau isn't.

Someone reads WW's lore and sees Soraka's name. He could then go to Soraka's bio if he's interested in what she's all about.

If the same person reads Talon's lore, where does this person go to learn about Du Couteau?

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecclessian View Post

I have concerns as well myself. However, it's one of those it's really too early to tell for certain. Soraka, for instance, has a far more direct impact versus the General on Talon (arguably). It was more of a device there to explain Talon's purpose in the Noxian flow for the overarching story versus an origin device like Soraka was to Warwick transformation-wise.

Given they mention they want to showcase rivalries/friendships/love -- I'm pretty confident that Soraka will be safe. We'll have to see how it goes though again.

Vulking

07-31-2012

While I'm all for updated lore and such, If you butch Nasus and Renekton Lore I will rage.

However I would gladly take a few tweaks in some champs, like for example put again on Morde and Eve lore that they come from the Shadow Isles like Yorick and Hecarim (you know, War, Death, Pestilence and Famine)

Ecclessian

07-31-2012

Quote:
When a detail like this is omitted this is not a change to the lore, it's a change to what we're focusing on in the bio. General Du Couteau and Talon’s relationship can be better explored in a different story.
Read this and decided i'm okay with Riot touching up the bios. Sure Talon's lore might not mention the General anymore, but this could be a great step for the Lore in general.

The Bios are for the champion, and the JoJ/ JoJ replacement will be the place for all the extra backstory for those inclined to investigate it. It's different, but it sounds like it will be a good way to make a distinction in the story. So now people like me can go throw themselves into the extra lore, while someone less interested could read the Bio alone and get all they need.

Thanks for the calm and thought out responses guys!

KingWalla

07-31-2012

You want old bios to be as good as new bios? The new bios have been far and away worse than the old, I still shudder to think about Varus's lore... I'll try and keep hopeful, though.

Also, fix Mordekaiser's lore back to the Shadow Isles where it belongs.

kitae

Lead Designer

07-31-2012
2 of 19 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulking View Post
While I'm all for updated lore and such, If you butch Nasus and Renekton Lore I would rage.

However I would gladly take a few tweaks in some champs, like for example put again on Morde and Eve lore that they come from the Shadow Isles like Yorick and Hecarim (you know, War, Death, Pestilence and Famine)
Their rewrite is a bit away but I think you are really going to like what we are doing with Nasus and Renekton.

kitae

Lead Designer

07-31-2012
3 of 19 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWalla View Post

Also, fix Mordekaiser's lore back to the Shadow Isles where it belongs.
Mord is definitely from the shadow isles.

kitae

Lead Designer

07-31-2012
4 of 19 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulking View Post
Our shadow isles champions will be getting more information that explains their connection.

*Edit* possibly not every champion, but overall that is what we intend to do