Zyra - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AsxetoC

07-30-2012

In the champions skills info in the client each champion is seen using his skills to his/her enemies lorewise (some champions dont follow this and just hit nothing or random neutral champions, usually ryze) demacians beat noxians,morgana vs kayle, nasus vs renekton, etc...

zayra beats ahri, WHY?????

also does this means that the plague jungles are no more?
timewise when did she become humanoid?
since wukong comes from plague jungles that means there should be something left there...

despicableMEE

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
It's really a shame that more people do not take the time to read this. So much time and effort is placed into developing this type of material. Such a shame. Props to the creative design team & art team.
I don't think its because people don't have the time to read it

I think it's just not getting enough attention in this forum which people don't really visit too much

maxterdexter

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by despicableMEE View Post
I don't think its because people don't have the time to read it

I think it's just not getting enough attention in this forum which people don't really visit too much
Also, it's a Q&A thread filled with "Maybe", "I think that", "he/she would", the answers as cool as they might be aren't very solid, and I find that offputting, but I'll get my lore fix wherever I can.

Also, both Ahri and Zyra are both non-human creatures that willed themselves into human form, are the first and last champion when seen organized alphabeticaly, both are sexy, and both are dangerous casters.

ThorRush

07-30-2012

Thanks for keeping Harrow's promise, Skribbles. It's good that champion backgrounds have some kind of outlet ...

I haven't played Zyra myself, but there were a couple more videos released with her than previous champs. Were those art and sound behind the scenes just a one time thing for Morello's pet plant?

Also she can talk through her plants. Are they a part of her, or are they offspring seeds she controls?

TereI

07-30-2012

I have a question. Why her W(seeds) is not dealing dmg when someone step on it ?? And why her ult take 2 sec to knock up ?? Even bots can run away from her ult.

despicableMEE

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TereI View Post
I have a question. Why her W(seeds) is not dealing dmg when someone step on it ?? And why her ult take 2 sec to knock up ?? Even bots can run away from her ult.
Her seeds aren't meant to do dmg when stepped they reveal the person who stepped on it also a knock up of that size instantly is stupidly op

Cha0sniper

07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirana Arashi View Post
Hello Skribbles and thanks for answering all these questions.

I'm going to do a very silly question , but , with her current semi-human Anatomy , Does she have a heart?

If she does(or maybe doesn't) , Is she going to have Strong feelings , like Mercy , empathy , Sadness?
Umm.... The heart isn't actually the emotional centre of the body, the brain is. Your two questions aren't related like you think they are

Skribbles

Associate Writer

07-31-2012
4 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowieneko View Post
How would Vayne view someone such as Zyra?
I think Vayne would see Zyra as a target to be removed for the good of humanity. It's true that Zyra isn't exactly the type of creature Vayne prefers to hunt, but she's dangerous enough and dark enough to need consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael1453 View Post
So why does she want to join the league? Self preservation - because the League's magic provides a safety net for her now that she has no roots to revive from? Her in-game quotes hint at something more - increasing her power and such (e.g. "none shall escape my grasp" and "no where is safe now that I am free" etc)

Also, another champion relation question - how does Nidalee react to her since she also comes from the Plague jungles?
I mentioned earlier that Zyra joined the League because it was a safe place. As far as what she wants now...she's at a stage of rebirth. I like to think she's planning her next move and gauging where people should fit into the world she'd like to cultivate for herself.

I get the feeling Nidalee would be more keyed in to the danger that Zyra represents. Regardless of whether or not they crossed paths, Nidalee would understand the true danger that any evolved creature from that place poses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foucz View Post
1.What are zyras thoughts on rammus , twitch , and fizz ?
2.Did zyra took look of the mage aswell ? it would be nice to see someone familiar looking to zyra that is actually looking for revenge or even reviving this mage from zyra
I don't know that Zyra would see Rammus, Twitch, and Fizz as much other than more animals (the way she sees people). Despite the fact that they walk on two legs (most of the time), they still seem closer to their animal origins. There might be some argument to be made about Twitch, but I'm not sure Zyra would make that distinction.

I think Zyra did more or less take the appearance of the sorceress, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
I remember reading a theory which said that the mage Zyra captured was the thornmage that Ryze stole the scroll from, which was interesting to me.

What sort of "power level" does Zyra have naturally? If you consider Nasus had summoners begging for mercy before he agreed to join the league, Maokai rolled face over 6 champions at once, and Annie sits at what is probably closest to "conventional mage" within the League, how would Zyra measure up to each?
In everyday Runeterra, I think Zyra's power would be greater when she is in her element (that is, in nature). Generally I think all mage's in our game are capable of great things, it just depends on the time and conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord Forte View Post
Morello mentioned Zyra fulfill some kind of 'infestor' archetype with her general artistic direction. I do not get the impression she is an infestor, as her lore and abilities do not lend themselves to that idea. Her lore specifically is not clear if she took over the wayward human, or ate them then made a human shell to inhabit. Her abilities are in line with your comments of her being a predator/killer/wild fury of nature, but not the infestor idea I was under the impression of receiving.

Do you feel the infestor archetype is what her character is meant to convey, or was it just one of the ways she could be 'interpreted as being'?
We actually diminished this focus because we found that she started to lose some of her uniqueness. We explored several motivations for plant mages/creatures/avatars and we really wanted to give Zyra her own space. I think infestor could be a possible evolution of her character, but we liked the direction we chose for her origin more as a defining element of her character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathScribe View Post
External lore, but I can't pinpoint from where:
The idea that nature is in harmony and that "Ancient Beings" can hear the forests, wind and rivers.
The forest needs the nourishment that come from the rivers and their seed carried by the wind.

--------------
Any planned rivalry for Zyra, both existing or incoming?
Ah, interesting. I'll keep that in mind.

As far as rivalries go, nothing to announce right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Oot View Post
Where does she stay now that she is in the League? Does she return to her forest to get summoned, or just wander around the world aimlessly? Or perhaps she is being watched and captive by the League itself?
I think Zyra generally just does what she wants, so exploring or staying in some interesting place would be her prerogative. She isn't being held captive by the League, although who's to say who's keeping tabs on her. (Don't say me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leotamer View Post
What are hear thoughts on Udyr and Nidelee, two very powerful "hunters", does she like them for being strong, or hate them for drawning their powers from animals?
I think Zyra is wise enough to respect the talents of Udyr and Nidalee, but I don't think she holds them in any special regard otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calirou View Post
would be crazy if that sorceress was Lilith, who was in Ryze's judgement, http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/league-judgment-ryze
and Ryze's lore states that his magic is "thorn" magic... and Zyra's title is Rise of the Thorns... so maybe Lillith was looking for the ultimate thorn magic O . O
Crazy indeed. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
What if instead of hitting every champion in a line, it stopped at the first champion. Upon hitting a champion, if she finished them off, she would get a second shot of her passive (at reduced damage), and this would continue until she didn't fire her passive or didn't kill a champion with it. (Or it hit every champion in a line until she finished one off, then it would stop.)

This would be a lot easier to balance, and would give the feeling that she was trying to stay alive as long as possible, even if it were a futile effort.
I really applaud how you've thought through how to tie this element of her character into her kit. This is the kind of challenge designers face all the time and they never cease to impress me with how they can deliver on those themes. This said, I think CertainlyT did an excellent job with the kit he implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daharon View Post
Does Zyra have any kind of hatred towards humans or she just kills them to feed herself? I know Maokai hates humans because they created magic.

Also related, where's all this anger coming from? She used to kill animals to eat when she was a plant, but now it looks like she's evil just for the sake of being evil.
I think it's mostly just to feed herself. Maokai does indeed have a much more directed frustration with humans.

I don't really see her as angry. Her attack lines are a bit aggressive, but that's inherent to the fact that she is attacking someone and we want that experience to be visceral. Her move lines are a bit more thoughtful or "tempting" (as though to lure one into her trap).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormound View Post
If this isnt the first AMA can someone give me links to previous AMA?
Sylph is the man of many links and fantastic dedication, he's organized everything in this thread: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=256575

You need to go a couple posts down to find the links for the AMA threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liath View Post
I also think she might have been/be Lilith. I have another non-conflicting theory... /*deep breath*/

... that the crystals that store energy have different types of energies, and that Runes are stones which look like quartz, basically, they're weaker, more readily accessible stores of the same types of energies.

... that the energies of crystals in the soil and rocks in Zyra's jungle contributed heavily to her evolution and awareness, and also to the way that her consciousness was able to convert into energy, then back into a suitable container, similar to something that might have created and "charged" all of these crystals a LONG LONG time ago.

... that the mage had opened this pathway for Zyra's transfer by tinkering with the crystals similar to how Xerath probably opened a portal to the VOID in Icathia, except this mage's crystals were not holding the same form of energy..

... that people think I'm high. (I just actually have a really terrible job)
I love the food for thought here, thanks for sending this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Toenail View Post
I am pleased. Very very pleased.

May a thousand hugs and nutella jars be graced upon you Skribbles. Also may no LEGO ever touch your foot again.
Fun fact: The first time I had Nutella was in France...it was SOOOOO good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thryale View Post
Has ezreal at any point in his prior adventures come across zyra or one of her relatives in plant form?
Ezreal's come by a great many things, but I don't think he ever ran into Zyra. Maybe one of her kind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriouS LolruS View Post
I'm a Zyra roleplayer on tumblr and so far I'm happy to see that you and I had the same ideas, Skribbles, but I want to know if Zyra's biology gives her the opportunity to repopulate her species. Most particularly the gender (the board censored the proper word, phooey) of her seedlings. Would Zyra be able to repopulate her species using the pollen from male seedlings? Would the Institute have stoppers on her to prevent her from doing this?

(You can find my lore reinterpretation here.)
Awesome! I'm glad you like her enough to RP her! I think she isn't aware of any method to repopulate her species right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's a goal she takes up in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDax View Post
Do you know if she has any opinions of The Void destroying all, and everything?
I think she's just getting to understand the world and its many factions. For the time being, I don't think the Void scares her. Then again it really only takes one major incident to suddenly change one's perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorthedark View Post
Nice, Jumanjiish riddle.

Was Zyra's lore about her original plant form in her lore (before humanoid) based on the movie The Ruins?
Because it sounds exactly like her.
If you watch the movie you can totally see it.
Ha! I forgot about Jumanji. I also forgot about the Ruins, although I can see where you made that connection. I've always liked various explorations of unusual or unexpected evolution, so I think that's what guided the original vision of Zyra.

Birdy51

07-31-2012

Now that I think about it, her story also has a bit of a tie-in with Brand, as they both took their human shells by force. However, as far as abilities and nature goes, they are polar opposites.

Brand would obviously think of Zyra as another creature to burn, but what would Zyra think of Brand?

rootlock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2012

Skribbles, as part of the lore team, would you be able to write us a few lines of dialogue between, say, Zyra and Maokai (or other interesting verbal partner; a summoner, perhaps)? I'd like to get a feel for how she'd converse outside of the "arena."