Proving Grounds Playable on Live!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeathScavenger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2012

so when is this going to be a legit playable map? *real match-making, not just custom
getting really tired of people joining the game (on an all random setting) and having them leave immediately, which happens around 6 times for 1 game...
would be nice to know that the players who dodge get a penalty for it.

K rent

07-29-2012

really now? if your going to have the map with only one base tower AT LEAST give the ability to regen health at the fountain when your inhib is down, it just makes the game way to quick.

Eydolon

07-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Hey Dudes!

A little over two months ago, a number of developers and I participated in Riot’s first ever Thunderdome – a periodic, companywide event aimed at allowing developers to work on whatever they want. My team set out to make the Proving Grounds, our basic tutorial map, playable as full on 5v5. This is something I’ve wanted to do ever since I originally worked on the map, and with the help of some other devs (and a good bit of caffeine) we managed to get everything up and running. Everyone was pretty happy with how the effort turned out, and with the upcoming removal of Winter Summoner’s Rift we saw an opportunity to sneak the new map out by repurposing the same UI hooks.

We've been testing the Proving Grounds for a week or so on the PBE, and now I'm pleased to announce that it is also playable as a custom game on the live servers. While we’ve been playtesting it internally as All Random (and lovin’ it) for quite some time now, all the pick options will be available – Blind Pick, Draft, and All Random – because we’re excited to see what variation you enjoy the most. We’d love to hear any feedback that you may have, as both RiotNome and myself will be providing support post release. Check it out and let us know what you think!

Fellow Rioters who helped me sneak this out:
Bigbadabruin
chunkface
Drevarius
Kilmourz
RiotNome
Ponts
positron7
Riot Taco Storm
RiotTroyzilla
subninja
Veigar

After having a bang with this map....i can safely say that u MUST add it to the already existing map on the pvp server.

I mean, like the rift, Ttreeline and dominion map...this little fella deserves a category on his own because, as many predicted when they posted their desire to see this map in ARAM...this new map IS ADICTIVE AS ****!!!

I just cant stop `playing it when i want a quick interesting brawl... and is ven more direct than dominion.

You should definitely add this map like you did with dominion.... because it can even be played as a competitive map in the future.

This is one of the best thing u have done, definitely.

Eydolon

07-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebender View Post
Yes it's a slower pace than ARAB, but that's only because ARAB pretty much forces you into a teamfight 5 seconds after taking the first tower. This new map only pretty much leaves a wider range to poke compared to ARAB, but nothing in comparison to the old ARAM format. The old ARAM format pretty much relies on pokes and rarely has teamfights early game. Thus, clarity and heal is essential. But saying that it's not really ARAB because the pace is slower does not necessarily mean that it's not leaning towards ARAB rather than the old ARAM, which many fans are disliking. I for myself feel like I've been playing ARAB all this time when playing on PG. Janna is pretty bad on PG while on the old ARAM she was godly.

This doesn't necessarily mean that I want the PG to change into a slower pace, but I'm just saying that many fans who liked the old ARAM likes it because it has a slower pace and relies more on poking and SMART initiations. It's more risky, while in PG, it just happens all the time that you don't really care anymore.

And I have a feeling that you guys are supporting a one-sided battle.... the first team to win the teamfight/tower has the control over the relics due to pushing. Once the inhibitor is down, the winning side basically has control of all the relics. Thus healing all the time, while the losing team can't even heal in their base. What is this?! The game is way too fast and one-sided.
No?

This is what i like from the PG. Quick fights, a lot of murder and you win or get pummeled pretty fast.

If i want prolonged poke fights i would go elsewhere....
I like the PG as it is because after the first teamfight...everything goes into mayhem

Moopeee

07-29-2012

So how many people did you piss off when you spent a relatively short amount of time developing PG and it blew Dominion's popularity out of the water? :P Well done!

Icebender

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eydolon View Post
No?

This is what i like from the PG. Quick fights, a lot of murder and you win or get pummeled pretty fast.

If i want prolonged poke fights i would go elsewhere....
I like the PG as it is because after the first teamfight...everything goes into mayhem
Much like ARAB right? I mean, I'm starting to like PG too now only because it's the only custom game I play now, but it's really a combination between both aram and arab. What I find interesting about PG is that sustainable champs are the ones who are most likely to win. All the good poking champs from the old ARAM is pretty much useless in PG unless it's early game and they push fast enough and get fed enough. All I know is, I kind of miss the whole focusing on my regens in the old ARAM and dodging skillshots all the time that'll actually train me to dodge skillshots in real games. It's slower-paced, for slow adaptable learners, but PG is really fast and up-beat. It's really all in your taste.

PYUR

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
We've been testing the Proving Grounds for a week or so on the PBE, and now I'm pleased to announce that it is also playable as a custom game on the live servers. While we’ve been playtesting it internally as All Random (and lovin’ it) for quite some time now, all the pick options will be available – Blind Pick, Draft, and All Random – because we’re excited to see what variation you enjoy the most. We’d love to hear any feedback that you may have, as both RiotNome and myself will be providing support post release. Check it out and let us know what you think!
I have to be honest, I play this A TON. What an amazing idea. I am convinced that this will be 1 million times more successful than Dominion. I never really cared for "aram"s or custom games, but this.. This is just so much fun I rave about it..!

It's the perfect solution to wanting to play "pick-up" games. It's "pick-up" in the sense that I know the game is not (typically) going to run me more than 20-25 minutes. People join very quickly, and the game is underway in less than a minute. It's designed so that you never get the feeling your team is thinking "surrender at 20" by the 10 minute mark... They don't have the time or chance even if they wanted to! This can be due to the fact that any team can make a big play or huge comeback. The poor judgment of one player is never as harsh as the errors of an entire team. And as far as the teams go -- they're never really "stacked" (random team comp can make or break even the best of players).

One of the biggest pet peeves I have for ranked is the sheer commitment to time (from champ draft to game finish). Queing up for a ranked match is a huge buzz kill for me.. It takes for freaking ever somtimes! There's currently no way to queue for a particular role, so sometimes everyone can be up in arms at champ select. Because of this, many times you don't even want a full game with some of the people you match.. lol.

In arams, roles are far less important. Most games are just fun because you get this feeling like everyone may be playing a champ out of their comfort zone. You gain a new understanding of how each champ can adapt. Every game is going to be a new experience and you really get a taste for the extreme variety LoL has to offer.

The only qualm I have (which I'm sure will be addressed if this is added to matchmaking) is that 1) there is no penalty to dodge, and 2) it shouldn't take an entire minute for people to setup their runes and masteries. I believe we could improve this gametype if people were penalized for dodging *random mode* specifically to avoid this. We could further improve by lessening the timer/countdown in the champ select screen from being over a minute to around ~30 seconds. This would lessen the chance of people dodging, and increase the appeal of being able to "jump into a quick game". The idea is capitalizing on what draws people to play this!

All in all, VERY nicely done. This gametype is so much fun and I've played countless, countless hours of it already. It's a great solution to wanting to try something new, but not wanting to roll the ever-loving-ai out of bots.

ridlaH

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYUR View Post
I have to be honest, I play this A TON. What an amazing idea. I am convinced that this will be 1 million times more successful than Dominion. I never really cared for "aram"s or custom games, but this.. This is just so much fun I rave about it..!

It's the perfect solution to wanting to play "pick-up" games. It's "pick-up" in the sense that I know the game is not (typically) going to run me more than 20-25 minutes. People join very quickly, and the game is underway in less than a minute. It's designed so that you never get the feeling your team is thinking "surrender at 20" by the 10 minute mark... They don't have the time or chance even if they wanted to! This can be due to the fact that any team can make a big play or huge comeback. The poor judgment of one player is never as harsh as the errors of an entire team. And as far as the teams go -- they're never really "stacked" (random team comp can make or break even the best of players).

One of the biggest pet peeves I have for ranked is the sheer commitment to time (from champ draft to game finish). Queing up for a ranked match is a huge buzz kill for me.. It takes for freaking ever somtimes! There's currently no way to queue for a particular role, so sometimes everyone can be up in arms at champ select. Because of this, many times you don't even want a full game with some of the people you match.. lol.

In arams, roles are far less important. Most games are just fun because you get this feeling like everyone may be playing a champ out of their comfort zone. You gain a new understanding of how each champ can adapt. Every game is going to be a new experience and you really get a taste for the extreme variety LoL has to offer.

The only qualm I have (which I'm sure will be addressed if this is added to matchmaking) is that 1) there is no penalty to dodge, and 2) it shouldn't take an entire minute for people to setup their runes and masteries. I believe we could improve this gametype if people were penalized for dodging *random mode* specifically to avoid this. We could further improve by lessening the timer/countdown in the champ select screen from being over a minute to around ~30 seconds. This would lessen the chance of people dodging, and increase the appeal of being able to "jump into a quick game". The idea is capitalizing on what draws people to play this!

All in all, VERY nicely done. This gametype is so much fun and I've played countless, countless hours of it already. It's a great solution to wanting to try something new, but not wanting to roll the ever-loving-ai out of bots.
I totally agree... I LOVE this map and really want to see it added to the Non-Custom PVP map rotation (i.e. Summoners Rift, Dominion, Twisted Treeline) due to the fast paced action experience. I do wish that the IP earned calculator could be slightly tweaked though so that you can earn decent amounts of IP for the quicker game format of PG.

It seems that right now (in custom) I earn about 25-35 IP per game (average)... would like to see it around 45-60, but the IP is secondary to the fact that I simply would like it to be available in Non-Custom play to avoid quitters/leavers.

crovax3000

07-30-2012

This needs to be a real mode, not custom. :You can say it's random all you want, but you still go through at least 5 people dodging.

Dextify

07-30-2012

Can you remove the "Quit" button from the proving grounds? Its so annoying when people leave because they get a champ they don't wanna play. (Really kills the whole "All Random All Mid" thing.)