Diana's lore.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Healcannon

07-28-2012

gratz nerds

Męw

07-28-2012

Riot, please.

I love everything about Diana. A league judgement would make me cry with happiness.

Celebi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoroaa View Post
Riot, please.

I love everything about Diana. A league judgement would make me cry with happiness.
Same here bro.

Bump

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

07-29-2012
1 of 23 Riot Posts

So.. I actually addressed some of this in a reddit post I made. Excuse the cross-posting:

We tend to have very little real estate when working with in-client lore delivery. Though I know this seems abbreviated and hasty, mind you this is a glossing over of an otherwise nuanced story.

Please don't be discouraged. A lot of thought has gone into Diana, we need to find good ways to present it to our players on different levels of immersion. I want you to know that her story is much deeper than this. These are the cliff's notes.
We're still working on just how that delivery will function.

I'm hoping, as well as Runaan and Harrow are, to she'd light on what we feel is the compelling and tragic story of Diana as her release moves ahead. I am extremely focused on telling story with our characters. This initiative is PARAMOUNT to me. Please be patient. =)

End cross-post!

Specifically about judgments, I actually have no real clue about them. I work closely with creative designers on a champion when it's in development. In a unique case, as with Diana, myself, Volty, Runaan, and Harrow all worked comprehensively on her story as a team. This isn't always the case with champions, but with Diana it was different. Everyone from Morello, to Ezreal, RiotRaven, truffle, and a host of other designers, creative and game, were integral in creating a character that resonated.

Right now I'm going to fully admit that our delivery isn't optimal. What can I do to change this? I can work with what tools we have to deliver as much punch in the real estate there is. The core group pushed very hard on what her teaser should be. We were very adamant as to what her splash should tell. We were quite insistent on how her bio should read, but it's still not perfect. In my opinion the bio doesn't yet touch everything you want to know. Tragedy and complex stories are notoriously hard to tell in short format. They take time and they are resonant because you have to experience the high of a character and how fall they need to far. Darth Vader has to have his story told over 6 movies. Hamlet needs a play to give you some insight into that insanity. Beaches... oh god, don't even get me started.. I'll cry just thinking about it!

If I condensed Romeo and Juliet into a paragraph.. man.. it'd sound like something out of Twilight.

"What? They're like 16! They want to get married!?"

"Huh? Mutual suicide? Wasn't that a Blue Oyster Cult song?"

"Dude, this **** is emo!"

What if I told you that we have enough story thought up to make a mini-series out of the Leona/Diana story arc alone? Well.. we do! Right now though, as we evolve delivery mechanisms, we have to work on how best to present all that juicy content. What I'm doing right now by addressing this in one tiny thread in one tiny corner of the world in one tiny language isn't exactly perfect. We want to be able to tell our stories, we are building what we need to do so in a way that can deliver the punch that you deserve.

We want to be able to provide the context and content that makes characters meaningful to you. That means that judgement, for a good as they are, aren't even the best way to do it! We want something more awesome! What will that awesome be? I'm not quite sure.. I draw the pictures. But it will come, and it will provide a richer and more immersive experience.

Until that point, myself and the other Diana group members will disseminate her lore on the current canvas we have. We will also discuss with the community what we have in our heads and hearts.

Diana has a whole lot of story to tell, and what you see on that page and that little paragraph is only the thinnest of veneer on a rich and multi-layered painting.

Mister Foaly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post

If I condensed Romeo and Juliet into a paragraph.. man.. it'd sound like something out of Twilight.

That sounds EXACTLY like Twilight.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

07-29-2012
2 of 23 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingtip View Post
That sounds EXACTLY like Twilight.
Check, and mate!

Defnist47

07-29-2012

...but i love blue oyster cult :\ i want the lore man. Give it!

Rengar Downy Jr

07-29-2012

what is a League Judgment? is that the part of the lore that tells them why they are in the League of Legends?

Corrupted1

07-29-2012

riot pls

Letkhar

07-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
So.. I actually addressed some of this in a reddit post I made. Excuse the cross-posting:

We tend to have very little real estate when working with in-client lore delivery. Though I know this seems abbreviated and hasty, mind you this is a glossing over of an otherwise nuanced story.

Please don't be discouraged. A lot of thought has gone into Diana, we need to find good ways to present it to our players on different levels of immersion. I want you to know that her story is much deeper than this. These are the cliff's notes.
We're still working on just how that delivery will function.

I'm hoping, as well as Runaan and Harrow are, to she'd light on what we feel is the compelling and tragic story of Diana as her release moves ahead. I am extremely focused on telling story with our characters. This initiative is PARAMOUNT to me. Please be patient. =)

End cross-post!

Specifically about judgments, I actually have no real clue about them. I work closely with creative designers on a champion when it's in development. In a unique case, as with Diana, myself, Volty, Runaan, and Harrow all worked comprehensively on her story as a team. This isn't always the case with champions, but with Diana it was different. Everyone from Morello, to Ezreal, RiotRaven, truffle, and a host of other designers, creative and game, were integral in creating a character that resonated.

Right now I'm going to fully admit that our delivery isn't optimal. What can I do to change this? I can work with what tools we have to deliver as much punch in the real estate there is. The core group pushed very hard on what her teaser should be. We were very adamant as to what her splash should tell. We were quite insistent on how her bio should read, but it's still not perfect. In my opinion the bio doesn't yet touch everything you want to know. Tragedy and complex stories are notoriously hard to tell in short format. They take time and they are resonant because you have to experience the high of a character and how fall they need to far. Darth Vader has to have his story told over 6 movies. Hamlet needs a play to give you some insight into that insanity. Beaches... oh god, don't even get me started.. I'll cry just thinking about it!

What if I told you that we have enough story thought up to make a mini-series out of the Leona/Diana story arc alone? Well.. we do! Right now though, as we evolve delivery mechanisms, we have to work on how best to present all that juicy content. What I'm doing right now by addressing this in one tiny thread in one tiny corner of the world in one tiny language isn't exactly perfect. We want to be able to tell our stories, we are building what we need to do so in a way that can deliver the punch that you deserve.

We want to be able to provide the context and content that makes characters meaningful to you. That means that judgement, for a good as they are, aren't even the best way to do it! We want something more awesome! What will that awesome be? I'm not quite sure.. I draw the pictures. But it will come, and it will provide a richer and more immersive experience.

Until that point, myself and the other Diana group members will disseminate her lore on the current canvas we have. We will also discuss with the community what we have in our heads and hearts.

Diana has a whole lot of story to tell, and what you see on that page and that little paragraph is only the thinnest of veneer on a rich and multi-layered painting.
To be fair, Romeo and Juliet is probably Shakespeare's worst play.