Offline mode suggestion

First Riot Post
123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DoomScar

Senior Member

07-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinthenoob View Post
Saving information like that locally to record your games allows a hacker to gain easy access to those files and alter them... one could easily give themselves an infinite amount of wins once they find the file and change it
You're definitely right.

I apologize for my ignorance and lack of knowledge about computers. I sincerely do.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Limelight Kiwi

Member

07-28-2012

Very good idea is good.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

07-28-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

This will be hard... very hard...

When we designed the LoL platform, we want to prevent cheating and hacking, so we put most of the lol's logic on server, include but not limited to:
1) Stats Processing
2) Bot Management, Queue Control, Map Information
3) Matchmaking
4) Skins, Rune, Champion entitlement

The whole platform was designed to put as much as on the server side. now you are asking for the completely opposite of what we designed. It will take months of work for a offline mode that's "complete"....


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShadyElf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-28-2012

can we have an appear offline mode at least?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS186afbf367d955

Senior Member

07-28-2012

There is no point for riot because it would allow people to inspect the code and use the flaw/exploits they found to hack the live servers. Also on an offline server there would be ways to get the content for free and content is the main source of income for riot. Riot earns money when you play on their servers.

TLDR : They will never do it. They get absolutely nothing for doing, they lose stuff actually.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oberic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post

The whole platform was designed to put as much as on the server side. now you are asking for the completely opposite of what we designed. It will take months of work for a offline mode that's "complete"....
As much awesome as the game is online, sometimes some of us have ridiculous lag or no connection at all.
Yet we still want to play League so.. yeah offline would be great, even if it does take a long time.

Of course it would also need better bots.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberic View Post
As much awesome as the game is online, sometimes some of us have ridiculous lag or no connection at all.
Yet we still want to play League so.. yeah offline would be great, even if it does take a long time.

Of course it would also need better bots.
You missed the underlying message. It was created that way for a reason, and while they could make an offline mode, it's not just the workload that is preventing them.

They put everything server side so that everything was server side. It's a lot harder to try to game certain things when you have no idea how they actually work. It's currently a black box, something that loses its purpose when you give someone an almost exact duplicate to play with at home.

LoL is also a PvP game. Sure there are modes with bots or ways to practice last hitting, but that still isn't going to give you even close to the full experience.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skúll Kid

Junior Member

07-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
You missed the underlying message. It was created that way for a reason, and while they could make an offline mode, it's not just the workload that is preventing them.

They put everything server side so that everything was server side. It's a lot harder to try to game certain things when you have no idea how they actually work. It's currently a black box, something that loses its purpose when you give someone an almost exact duplicate to play with at home.

LoL is also a PvP game. Sure there are modes with bots or ways to practice last hitting, but that still isn't going to give you even close to the full experience.
As true as that is, I feel like you're forgetting something important. Not everyone plays PvP. Something that frustrates me as a LoL'er is that I want to play the game all the time. The only reason it's not possible is because it requires you to set time aside where you can't do anything else. If I need to make dinner and still want to play league then I play bots because it's much more lenient there and I can take a quick break to stir my macaroni and cheese or flip steaks on the grill. I've personally wanted an offline mode because it will let me play the game when I can't promise to have the time to play a game to the end.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xephen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
You missed the underlying message. It was created that way for a reason, and while they could make an offline mode, it's not just the workload that is preventing them.

They put everything server side so that everything was server side. It's a lot harder to try to game certain things when you have no idea how they actually work. It's currently a black box, something that loses its purpose when you give someone an almost exact duplicate to play with at home.

LoL is also a PvP game. Sure there are modes with bots or ways to practice last hitting, but that still isn't going to give you even close to the full experience.
You say there is no perpose, but the underlined message there is you don't want people seeing the code. Making an offline mode would allow for LAN parties, and user generated content because people would see the code and would figure out how to change it. Bad thing? Depends how many server side explots can be found in the code? if 0 then there is not much of a down side.

If you want to regulate it make it so they do not get lines of code for IP/RP and the shop is disabled or just not in the code at all. Have a line of code that would have it matc up with the server when they took it online so they could update their champion list. What Riote gains is bragging about user generated content for ideas, or quicker impolyment of an idea, etc... Worst thing that could happen? It ends up like Starcraft.

This would also be good for people that wanted to get a job at riote, they would know the code and system inside and out, and even have some samples of what they can do with your code. There are benifits to Riote don't deni that, but I know those things come at a cost. I understand the reason not to impoly an offline mode, but at least give a better reason than the whole black box thing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jesdf

Junior Member

09-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xephen View Post
You say there is no perpose, but the underlined message there is you don't want people seeing the code. Making an offline mode would allow for LAN parties, and user generated content because people would see the code and would figure out how to change it. Bad thing? Depends how many server side explots can be found in the code? if 0 then there is not much of a down side.

If you want to regulate it make it so they do not get lines of code for IP/RP and the shop is disabled or just not in the code at all. Have a line of code that would have it matc up with the server when they took it online so they could update their champion list. What Riote gains is bragging about user generated content for ideas, or quicker impolyment of an idea, etc... Worst thing that could happen? It ends up like Starcraft.

This would also be good for people that wanted to get a job at riote, they would know the code and system inside and out, and even have some samples of what they can do with your code. There are benifits to Riote don't deni that, but I know those things come at a cost. I understand the reason not to impoly an offline mode, but at least give a better reason than the whole black box thing.
And Like you said to make things easier, Just make An Offline client that'll Only require your account information And Then Go from there, With No IP/RP gains and shop closed.Yes, Riot's intention for this game was for PVP Only. But To commit to such Extent When playing VS. players Is almost impossible when Your internet service provider is failing on you Every 5 minutes. It's annoying, Tiring , And a HUGE waste of Time when Having to deal with such problem While playing against bots.( When your client Times out, The Bots only match is Deleted)
Not everyone has a stable internet connection 24/7, And Yes it's required for this game,But like I said, May sometimes not work. This maybe asking too much from you, For such a game is hard to pass by. But your ratings will skyrocket if such a mode was available. Thankyou for your time in reading this.(If applicable)
For this game Is Very Enjoyable.


And if Available, You can just like, Charge RP for it, say 2000?
But to be only binded to That account?
As per say, A premium account?


123