Champion variety (beware: monsters within!)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doosfin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddum420 View Post
TRUNDLE SKIN WHERRREEEEEEEEEE
MORELLO PLS
Look teers. :'(
Morello, the lead champion designer, is in charge of champion skins.

You heard it here first.

Am Gay Bro

07-20-2012

Since you are not adverse to creatures, Riot, could we possibly see a champion based on H.P. Lovecraft's works? I don't mean some stupid C'thulhu copy - Shoggoths, Flying Polyps, Shub-****urath, Yog Sothoth...all have common themes of discord, asymmetry, chaos, incomprehensibility, and the unknown.

What I'm asking is if you'll make a champion that looks, feels, handles, and plays just plain wrong. A champion that evokes feelings of paranoia and fear when looked upon. Something with insanity in its skillset - literally. I would love that.

BinaryUnicycle

07-20-2012

Morello, I love you for giving us this thread!

Can't wait for the monster champ.

<3

aToasterStrudel

07-20-2012

Sounds like an...

Omen.

Kai Talakki

07-20-2012

I doubt this will be seen but...what about more non-humanoid females? Right now there's really only Anivia. There are more non-humanoid male champions (Kog'Maw, Skarner, Nocturne, etc). As much as I still love a lot of the non-human females (Zyra, Ahri, Cassiopeia), it would be nice to see more variety in the female champions.

I imagine it's hard to design for "monstrous" females, but Anivia does a pretty good job of getting across that she's female without having a humanoid shape.

Morello

Lead Designer

07-20-2012
7 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Flambe View Post
Inc 50+ page long thread

Edit: Do you feel zyra accomplishes what you want to see with future champions? Something non-human but recognizable as "yes this is a champion, not a neutral creep" kinda deal?
I think Zyra walks a "close to human" line that's fun, but I don't define her as monstrous or creature (even if she technically is).

CataclysmCrash

07-20-2012

I want a Beholder champ from the Void.

Actually, just any new Void champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I think you guys will like our next monster
YUS

Valentino

07-20-2012

Hi Morello.
In your previous posts you called Trundle and Urgot and even Kog'Maw - 'mistakes'. I can understand that gory and scary champions will not appeal to everyone, but I would guess that there's a pretty big fan base for those types of champions. My questions are:
Did they not sell and you "lost" money on them?

Is that the reason development team said Etc: Spider queen is not happening?

I've seen a lot of sculptures/ plushies for Kog'Maw, It makes me believe that public actually liked him even though he's a Acid spitting monster who devoured everything in it's path according to lore. So can we expect more Void monsters? What direction is riot planning to take considering scary/ creepy/ grotesque Champions?

Thanks

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

Well, I was expecting a bit more of an in-depth post after all the waiting for it. It's pretty much a statement of "we're listening and we've got cool things planned."

Why not take this time to give some acknowledgment that's more direct?

The Spider Queen support thread is reaching 21k yes votes in what's likely less than 400 votes now. Thoughts? Omen threads continue to re-emerge periodically with many attempts at discussing all the points that got him turned down previously. Thoughts?

I guess I was looking for something more.... involved and showing the direct insight into what the community has been talking about since you mentioned getting things together for this thread and then it kept being delayed.

Morello

Lead Designer

07-20-2012
8 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Gay Bro View Post
Since you are not adverse to creatures, Riot, could we possibly see a champion based on H.P. Lovecraft's works? I don't mean some stupid C'thulhu copy - Shoggoths, Flying Polyps, Shub-****urath, Yog Sothoth...all have common themes of discord, asymmetry, chaos, incomprehensibility, and the unknown.

What I'm asking is if you'll make a champion that looks, feels, handles, and plays just plain wrong. A champion that evokes feelings of paranoia and fear when looked upon. Something with insanity in its skillset - literally. I would love that.
This is something that might be done, but it's really tough. Lovecraft is a bit old and outdated for something more in modern fantasy, and I think there's better ways (Nocture + ult) that can cause real fear in players