@Lyte, Normal Elo visibility

First Riot Post
12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Drastone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2012

So this has been an off and on discussion since beta, and the only reasoning I ever hear is because of player behaviors in normal (thus why I'm calling you out for more insight/possible discussion) but why is normal elo not visible?

I've heard the cons, the pressure to preform (and expect other people to preform) to avoid the lose of an arbitrary number, the unwillingness to try new things for fear of down ranking, the desire to try and tank ones normal elo to play at a different bracket, the general degrading of players based on an arbitrary number. However I also feel that not having an actual discussion behind this completely negates the pros.

I myself am a very "growth" motivated player. I play games to grow, to surpass my limits. I spend lots of times studying down to core mechanics (In another MobA I actually read the game files to learn the specifics of most abilities) just to try and get that bit of information to push me to the next level. I also have been off and on playing since beta, making me more skilled than most my friends I know in person. However without the metrics to measure my skill, I have no idea how well I've grown, how much I compare to my friends/peers. I actually had a 900 elo player swear up and down I was bad because I refused to play ranked, and I had no way of showing my individual ability or growth to him to try and continue our discussion beyond the "Lol u unranked you bad"

As I said previous I am also better than most my friends, and my friends have VASTLY different skill ranges. From feeding begginer bots, to not even being level 30, to support/jungler optional, to AD carry/no melees go mid, to competent teams of meta-following, I have the whole range in my list. Without this metric I have NO way of knowing or being comfortable with taking ANY of these friends into normal games. If our elos are completely mismatched it will end just very badly for all players involved. They will almost assuredly feed horribly, and it will either be a carry off of me versus whoever they fed or a landslide victory for the other team, which will just create frustration and an undesire to play on my friends part. Even now I have one friend who refuses to play with me until hes level 30 with a full rune page because he feels that the game is so imbalanced towards the runes/masteries.
--As an added to this point; I was finally able to convince my girlfriend to join the league thanks to the halloween skins, but again have no way of knowing when to stop decimating bot games with her and take her into normals, which means we cant exactly enjoy league as a couple.

The last point comes in the form of competitive readiness. Some competitive minded players still avoid ranked due to its bad reputation, or because of a feeling of unreadiness. As you said before in a post there seems to be a co-relation between normal ELO and ranked, having this number available could help place these players in a comfortable mindset to allow for them to actually joint he ranked pool. Furthermore this could help alleviate the problem of lesser skilled players entering the ranked pool (if the community still has issues with that) and not to say it should be remarkably high, but say 1000 elo?

Those are the best bullet points I have thought of over the times but at least two are very large points to me (the inability to track growth and the inability to play with my friends and have a good time) so can I ask if there is any discussion about the visibility of normal elo? It doesn't even have to be public information, I am willing to accept being the only one able to see my own.

blindedsight

07-18-2012

Woah this is a big block of text.

I'm just going to not read it and say "Sure whatever pal."

Vikaryous

07-18-2012

I think being able to see your own Normal ELO would be kind of neat. Definitely against it being visible for everyone, though. Ranked is for that ****

Zileas

VP of Game Design

07-18-2012
1 of 4 Riot Posts

So uh, to summarize, you asked "Why don't we get to see normal elo?"

It's really simple. If we did, you'd focus on that rating whether or not you want to -- because people who play LoL are competitive and will focus on any measure of their relative skill provided the opportunity.

Every time you want to try a new champion you'd feel a LOT more stressed than now, and worry about your rating.

Every time a member of your team in normal didn't do well, or didn't hold their own, you'd be upset at the end of the game when your rating went down... because it's not just that they lost the game, but that they nerfed your rating, and thus your reputation. Conversely, every time someone felt you didn't do a great job (fair or not), they'd be upset at you causing them to take a rating hit.

So essentially, every matchmade match would become 'tryhard'. Even the most competitive players do not want to 'tryhard' every game. They want to tryhard when they are feeling up to it. As an example, when I was a top Starcraft player, I played only about 1 in 3 games as ranked play.

Basically, we think the game is easier to enjoy and more suited to our players interest if they can choose when they want to tryhard.

RealMithron

07-18-2012

You should only be able to see your own normal elo, where it's invisible to others. Obviously you could do stuff like take screens or something, but being able to see your own normal elo would be a great tool for improving.

@Zileas

I care about my normal elo even if it's invisible and feel just as much stress regardless and I try hard every single game and always will. I value my W/L, and always will. Thus, my experience with LoL if I could see my normal elo (even if no one else could) would be greatly improved. And I'm sure everyone who plays normals like to use it as practice for ranked at some points, so being able to see our normal elo for that would be a great tool for improving.

The Reagan

07-18-2012

I play normals because there is no Elo to see.

NO STRESS
YEEE

Lullabye

07-18-2012

Zileas was a top starcraft player? Nice.

blindedsight

07-18-2012

Oi, while you're here Zileas, any plans to remove Volibear from game?

Magik

07-18-2012

zileas #1 red

zileas can you troll somebody for us?

AngryMilk7

07-18-2012

>zileas
>top starcraft player

kekekekekekeke

12345 ... 9