A plot hole in Zyra's lore

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kelarm

07-13-2012

I realize that for some reason people care about lore in this game, but honestly you're probably the vocal minority in this case. I've read a couple of the lores myself, and the stories are all pretty shallow at best, even the older ones. Lore is completely irrelevant in LoL, having zero effect on on the game.

Lord Dragonic

07-13-2012

The league doesn't seem very exclusive any more considering that the requirements are pretty much the following.
Step 1 - Do you have powers or skills that could harm innocent civilians if yes move to step two

Step 2 do are you a friend or foe to a current champion if yes join the league if no move to step 3

Step 3 can you do something normal humans can't do if yes your in if not you can't join the league

Masticatorr

07-13-2012

Ever snce the JoJ has been down, the Lore for LoL has taken some serious pounding. Jayce's first Lore made me gag, considering he made Viktor a villain, which he isn't at all.

TheDeCherry

07-13-2012

A wizard did it

kitae

Lead Designer

07-13-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzembachi View Post

Why does her lore not mention how she ended up joining the League of Legends? She was reborn into a new form and........... what? It doesn't even discuss her motivations, however brief, for joining the League, which every other champion seems to have.
Keen eyes summoner.

The purpose of a bio is to help players understand who that champion is. This involves telling a story about that champion that reveals important aspects of their personality. In Zyra's case for example, her story is of a desperate play for survival that paid off.

Why a champion joins the league is an entirely different story. What we've done traditionally is write 1-2 lines to try and explain this, but the results are not always exceptional. Consider Gragas:

"His misadventures have garnered him the attention of several summoners in the League of Legends, and he is now a willing champion in the arenas...doling out hard liquor and harder fists."

This sounds more like fulfilling a formatting requirement than telling a great story. If we can't tell a great story in 1-2 lines, I'd prefer to not tell that particular story in the bio at all.

Some attempts have been more successful. Ahri for example feels more integrated (I worked on her bio btw). These are more the exception than the rule though, and more often than not we felt the explanations for joining the league did not add to the quality of the bio - they detracted from it.

By lifting this restriction, we can fully focus on making bios compelling stories that help our players understand who our champions are.

TL;DR We can tell better stories about champions if we aren't required to put a tagline explaining why they join the league.

LawlerBrawler

07-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitae View Post
Keen eyes summoner.

The purpose of a bio is to help players understand who that champion is. This involves telling a story about that champion that reveals important aspects of their personality. In Zyra's case for example, her story is of a desperate play for survival that paid off.

Why a champion joins the league is an entirely different story. What we've done traditionally is write 1-2 lines to try and explain this, but the results are not always exceptional. Consider Gragas:

"His misadventures have garnered him the attention of several summoners in the League of Legends, and he is now a willing champion in the arenas...doling out hard liquor and harder fists."

This sounds more like fulfilling a formatting requirement than telling a great story. If we can't tell a great story in 1-2 lines, I'd prefer to not tell that particular story in the bio at all.

Some attempts have been more successful. Ahri for example feels more integrated (I worked on her bio btw). These are more the exception than the rule though, and more often than not we felt the explanations for joining the league did not add to the quality of the bio - they detracted from it.

By lifting this restriction, we can fully focus on making bios compelling stories that help our players understand who our champions are.

TL;DR We can tell better stories about champions if we aren't required to put a tagline explaining why they join the league.
Then tell the story.

Release it as a league judgement or something, but not knowing why someone like Zyra made her way to the league is kind of a huge hole in her story. It's where she's taken her new life, that's significant. If you just decide not to tell why they're now a champion in LoL then it just sounds like a cop out to me.

Unholyrath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-13-2012

Quote:
Keen eyes summoner.

Or you guys could just start doing Judgements again.

1st HanarSpectre

07-13-2012

Half of the champion in the league joined because they want to kill one other person currently in there.
The time that people actually had to have a reason to be accepted is long gone,

IConquer1101

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-13-2012

Quote:
Keen eyes summoner.

But this is league of legends. It's nice that they have a background, but why are they even a part of the league?

Maragi Accel

07-13-2012

I hate the people that keep saying she infested the sorceress's body, it clearly states in her lore that she used magic to create a human vessel and transplanted her mind into the thing