@Riot, @GD: Let's Talk About Xerath.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Duarack5

07-12-2012

*huge sigh of relief*

dusty071

07-12-2012

why did xerath get nerfed, he was bad even before

Admiral Will

07-12-2012

Should we still bump this?

IS1444561cbcdcae66bbd53

07-12-2012

I wanna know whether the changes will be in the PBE somewhere soon.. If so i'm gonna play xerath on the PBE until it arrives

WarlordAlpha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse E1ric View Post
Should we still bump this?
I'm gonna bump it for another day or two to get the word out, I'm sure a lot of Xerath players want to see this.

donkrx

07-12-2012

I would spread the word with a new thread and a title that would catch people's attention ("Xerath fix coming next patch") with FeralPony's quote, but I would probably be told I was "trying to be popular and cool", and "this isn't facebook", things like that.

Eh, people can find out for themselves.

Mr Bucklefutts

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-12-2012

Unfortunately though overall still an overall unneeded nerf from the beginning till this patch :\
Nobody plays him? better nerf him

FeralPony

Live Balance Designer

07-12-2012
2 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlordAlpha View Post
It'll make it easier to dodge than it was pre-nerf, but itll still be more difficult than it is now. The biggest thing is that the Xerath player won't have to aim it any differently than before. It's just that the enemy has an extra 0.25 seconds to react and use a movement ability, as opposed to having 0.5s to walk right out.
This is correct. It will be a bit easier to react to than pre-draven but much harder to avoid than currently. We want the ability for opponents to react with appropriate counters such as spellshields or flash but the .25 second cast time delay before the visual appeared causing a period of time where opponents would spend moving out of the way of the ability.

This window of time between hitting the button and the visual beginning to appear wasn't adding gameplay on the opponent's end and was extremely frustrating for the Xerath player which made it seem like a very logical place to trim the timing down to enhance Xerath's experience without removing the positive counterplay introduced by the prior changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo Sexy View Post
Good players will need to use Flash and good reflexes instead of... well, walking to counter Xerath's ult and he gets to keep his recent buff to compensate. And his ult now will look right with the timing issues fixed from the original design..

A great day my friends!
Yeah this is the general idea.

The other major change at play here is using your ultimate after a E->Q or E->R stun will retain it's former reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metronomotopoeia View Post
I like how an increase of 0.375 seconds was "his ult now takes like 2 seconds to drop"
There was a bit of hyperbole and misinformation floating around which is why I went into more detail than usual when talking about changes. But the feeling from Xerath players was completely legitimate, which was "I now struggle landing my ultimate."

Quote:
Here's the thing though: they ALWAYS had 0.5 seconds to walk out if it because the old damage-time was 0.5s. Again, it was always super obvious when Xerath was going to use his ultimate, so good players would start juking before the damage indicator even appeared. Honestly, I think that this is only going to help players who aren't used to playing against Xerath. Experienced Xerath players are still going to hit their ult most of the time, assuming that the damage-time delay is really going back to the exact same delay that it was before all of this.
This is correct. It was already possible for very skilled players to watch Xerath very closely for the start of his animation but this was a really bad tell for game health, because it was not known to the vast majority of players and far from intuitive.

WarlordAlpha

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkrx View Post
I would spread the word with a new thread and a title that would catch people's attention ("Xerath fix coming next patch") with FeralPony's quote, but I would probably be told I was "trying to be popular and cool", and "this isn't facebook", things like that.

Eh, people can find out for themselves.
This one has the red sticker and the huge amount of posts though, i figure its more attention grabbing than yet another new Xerath thread. Maybe I should edit the title? Or can you not edit titles here?

donkrx

07-12-2012

Quote:
This one has the red sticker and the huge amount of posts though, i figure its more attention grabbing than yet another new Xerath thread. Maybe I should edit the title? Or can you not edit titles here?
No you cant edit the title.